Poll : Purchase with/without rebates/incentives

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you have bought without incentives ?

• Can't get without both Federal & State incentives

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Can't get without Federal incentives

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Can't get without State incentives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still would've got it without any incentives

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evnow

Taking over this post to include a poll.

Original post from mogur :

It might be interesting to start a poll and see how many of those who have purchased or are purchasing Leafs would still do so if there were no rebates or local/regional incentives of any kind. It would give an idea of what demand might be like after all the rebates and incentives are used up or expire.

Currently there wont be any incentives or rebates offered to us here in Australia when we finally get the LEAF in 2012. This will not be stopping me. Im also predicting the price will come in higher that the current US pricing.

I would not be purchasing the LEAF if I did not get the fed and state tax credits. If the LEAF did not have any tax incentives I would wait for the $50,000+ Tesla S (if it ever makes it to market!) .

I would purchase it, even at $35k, but I would think the demand would go down by 20-50% without incentives. Hopefully federal taxes stick around long enough for EVs to take small hold in this market. Thats why it becomes important to elect right kind of leadership in coming years.

DownUnderLeaf said:
Currently there wont be any incentives or rebates offered to us here in Australia when we finally get the LEAF in 2012. This will not be stopping me. Im also predicting the price will come in higher that the current US pricing.
In most countries where some rebates are available, Nissan is pricing Leaf at the same level as Prius. How much is the Prius in Australia ?

Without any of the rebates and incentives, I would not have purchased as the ROI simply would not have been there for me. I likely would have bought a Mini instead (yes, I know; that is a hard right turn without signaling).

mogur said:
It might be interesting to start a poll and see how many of those who have purchased or are purchasing Leafs would still do so if there were no rebates or local/regional incentives of any kind. It would give an idea of what demand might be like after all the rebates and incentives are used up or expire.

mogur said:
Definitely! I would have still purchased the Nissan LEAF without the federal or state tax rebates. I consider the rebates the same as throwing $0.50 in a pinball machine and after my last ball getting the bonus match! Free game!

it would have been out of my price range as well but i still would have bought it. its just that i would have leased without the considering the purchase option.

evnow said:
DownUnderLeaf said:
In most countries where some rebates are available, Nissan is pricing Leaf at the same level as Prius. How much is the Prius in Australia ?

The Prius has a base price of $39990 plus on road costs of around $3500 for dealer delivery and registration etc. This is in AUD which these days is usually 1:1 to USD.

There is an undeniable psychological component to "Missing the Rebate".

If my LEAF arrives after the $5k CA Rebate is depleted, then I know that everyone else got a better deal than I did. I missed the boat. It's like buying something that was just on-sale the day before.. the Dell Laptop that was $799 is a hard sale at $1,399 when you know what the sale price was. Even if it's worth every penny.

So there's some of that. But really, without incentives and rebates, the LEAF is just too expensive for me. I'd either wait for the Tesla S (a car with style to match its price), or something exciting for different reasons. Maybe another sportscar, or a luxury hybrid.

If the EV thing takes off (and it will), I will have better options. I'm buying the LEAF because it's FIRST, and because it has a really affordable lease after incentives.

there is two ways to look at the cost factor. if gas hits and stays at $5 a gallon, i think the EV will sell without incentives.

with incentives, EVs have a chance to get a good launch and that is what they need. just a little help right now because a good launch will increase money for the charging infrastructure.

soon, the price of gas will make the EV desirable, rebate or not.

There is no state incentive here in PA. I don't know if my tax liability will cover the entire $7.5K. With me, it's not a ROI thing... I like EV technology and the LEAF is the first production EV within financial reach. The Volt, even if it were a BEV, after dealer gouging is probably out of reach for me. Besides that, the Volt is mechanically complex whereas the LEAF is simple. The LEAF will be the first (and likely only) new car I've ever felt was worth buying. I'd like to do it before I get too old to enjoy it. It would be nicer if the incentives were better, but I'm buying it because I want it, not because of ROI.

Without the incentives - State and Federal - the LEAF would be out of my price range. Even with incentives it was a hard sell because my current car is paid for, just five years old and has only 50K miles on it. The incentives make the numbers just palatable enough for me to make a moral/political/emotional case for early adoption despite my normally frugal inclinations. ;)

Without the Federal credit (no state incentive in NY) I would not have been a early reservationist. I would have tried to stretch my current car or buy a Prius. Going much over $30K (net) would be a budget buster. Or maybe lease a Volt, though my initial impression of the Volt is that you get less value than a Prius.
I think the new technology is great, EVs are the way to go for people whose driving needs fit comfortably within the range, but in the end, price does matter.

I would see no need to rush in. It would be more reasonable to see what everyone has to offer. Now that everyone has decided to produce EV's wait to see who delivers the best product.

Even with the incentives, we're pushing the family finances on this. So, without the incentives, I would not get this car. I do feel in about 5 years or so, we'll see a lot of cheaper EVs on the market with better range, but by then I would need to have replaced our current ICE car & would have had to go with another ICE car.

Back