Poll: '12 Leaf range Nissan reps should tell people?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012 Leaf: what range should Nissan reps use when asked about its range on single 100% charge

• 100 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 73 miles (EPA-rated range)

Votes: 42 61.8%
  • some value between 80 and 89 miles

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • some value between 70 and 79 miles

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • some value between 60 and 69 miles

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • some value between 50 and 59 miles

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • some value between 40 and 49 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
edatoakrun said:
The problem with that is that we all know just how much the range varies in varying conditions, something ICEV and hybrid drivers are not accustomed to.
Yeah, the range of ICEV and hybrid cars can also vary A LOT, but the thing is the range on a full tank is usually far beyond what most drivers do in a single day almost everyday, even when getting terrible mileage. And, as we all as know, ICEVs can be very quickly and readily refueled.

IIRC, Edmunds in their long term test blog when they had a Mini-E basically equated it to driving on empty the whole time. I think they (Edmunds) only had 120 volt charging and there was no J1772 as we know it today nor DC fast charging. And, the Mini-E also had a GOM.

65 tops.

It seems most of us early adopters don't mind making adjustments to driving style to get the EPA range or use games/tricks to beat the EPA range. If EV's are going to to go mainstream...

....then that means AC in the summer, heat in the winter, and rabbit starts at stop lights.

IOW, normal driving habits. With any hills at all, driving the LEAF using traditional ICE car methods will not get the EPA rating.

For the LEAF, my advice to people is plan on 60-65 real-world miles. If they want more, I tell them how to get more, but most people I talk to about the car are not interested in "above and beyond" driving methods.

I drive my LEAF like a normal car. I use the environmental controls. On the freeway, I do the limit plus 10 as I normally do, that's 65-75mph and one time running late I made a 80-85 freeway blast. I love the acceleration from a stop, and the passing power at surface street speeds. I plan my lunches/stops at businesses that have chargers available (that marketing works for me :D ) and use a 440 Blink station about once a month when I don't have time to charge up enough to get home.

cwerdna said:
edatoakrun said:
The problem with that is that we all know just how much the range varies in varying conditions, something ICEV and hybrid drivers are not accustomed to.
Yeah, the range of ICEV and hybrid cars can also vary A LOT, but the thing is the range on a full tank is usually far beyond what most drivers do in a single day almost everyday, even when getting terrible mileage. And, as we all as know, ICEVs can be very quickly and readily refueled.

IIRC, Edmunds in their long term test blog when they had a Mini-E basically equated it to driving on empty the whole time. I think they (Edmunds) only had 120 volt charging and there was no J1772 as we know it today nor DC fast charging. And, the Mini-E also had a GOM.

So true, I can get 500 miles on a tank of gas in my prius but I prefer to fill up around 350 to 450 miles as I don't want to risk running out of gas.

People are used to getting gas when they still have 20% left in the tank. No reason to expect a new EV driver to run it any lower than that.

I wouldn't expect any new leaf driver to play with low battery warnings. I'd say they would want to fill up with 1 or 2 bars of charge remaining. If that means 10 miles less range then so be it, advertise the expected range with that in mind as it'll offset the battery degredation.

EPA minus reasonable reverse, say 10 miles that will account for some loss due to cold and bad weather conditions. I assume this is for regular buyer that do not want/have no desire to educate itself on EV driving

Absolutely have to START with the EPA ratings.

Once that's established, it's perfectly reasonable to explain that driving style probably has an even bigger effect on economy than they are used to with a gasoline vehicle that wastes 80% of its fuel as heat, and give specific examples.

Nissan have done some of this, but they absolutely need to let go of "100 miles" as the "hook" for potential customers.

I voted other. The range is far too variable compared to an ICE to quote a single hard number. 73 miles is the EPA range and they certainly shouldn't ever quote any figure higher than that, but your range may vary from as low as 20 miles in worst case conditions to over 100 in best case conditions. Assuming you will normally keep the area at and below LBW as an emergency reserve, don't expect your range to exceed 60 miles under most conditions with a new battery - 40 to 50 miles is a good starting point in temperate conditions if you normally charge to 80% to prolong the life of your battery. Consult the owner's manual for the effects of speed, battery condition, temperature, heat/defrost/AC use, elevation gain/descent, load etc. for more details.

The 100 mile range figure is a figment - they should quote the EPA range.

Now I'd *LIKE* the Leaf to have an EPA 5 cycle range of 100 miles!!! At 100 miles I'd be down to 2-3 trips a year that would require me to take the gas-burner for range reasons -- and on those trips I'd *want* the size & or camping attributes of the EuroVan anyway. I'd even stop dreaming of being able to afford a Tesla Model S. :)

rcyoder said:
The 100 mile range figure is a figment - they should quote the EPA range.

Now I'd *LIKE* the Leaf to have an EPA 5 cycle range of 100 miles!!!
Yep. They should only be quoting 100 mile range if it gets that on either/both (preferably both) the 2-cycle or/and 5-cycle EPA test. Even then, it might be a good idea qualify it by subtracting ~10-20 miles.

I don't think most ICEV drivers regularly wait until the low gas light turns on or until the trip computer's DTE reads --- to fill up, let alone until their car stops running due to being out of gas.

The poll closes the morning of 1/25. I intentionally wanted it to end by a certain time to avoid confusion over the '13 Leaf's EPA numbers since I didn't know when those would be released.

For those answering "other", please do reply with what that "other" should be, if you haven't already.

Back