Plug-in options for a 65-year-old (Camry size or bigger)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgalvan

My 65 year old retired mom is getting a new car soon. I am trying to push her toward a plugin option, but she is hung up on having a car with "a lot of space" which, for her, means camry-size or bigger. (She likes having enough room for it to be the only car needed when on a long drive with her sister, daughter, son-in-law, and 2-year-old granddaughter).

Any recommendations?

Ford Fusion Energi comes to mind. Others?

Ironically I just dropped off my 2015 Leaf at my mother's house and she loves it, aside from some range anxiety which should dissipate.

The fusion energi is a good bet with limited trunk space. RAV4 EV is my top choice assuming the trips arent too far. BMW X5 plugin will be out in about 6 mos along with the new volt.

There's the Honda Accord PHEV but I don't know if Honda is continuing to build them for 2015. They were pricey ($40k) and you only got a few miles of pure EV range. Honda's 2015 product page is only showing the regular Accord hybrid (non-plug-in).

Otherwise, if you're looking for a midsize sedan plug in, your only choice for now is the Ford Fusion Energi.

Not really true. The Prius PHEV is about as roomy as a midsize (with more usable cargo space then the Camry, I think), and is very substantial feeling. It gets the best fuel economy in class and is a proven, durable, comfortable design. She wouldn't even have to plug it in to get excellent fuel economy.

LeftieBiker said:
Not really true. The Prius PHEV is about as roomy as a midsize (with more usable cargo space then the Camry, I think), and is very substantial feeling. It gets the best fuel economy in class and is a proven, durable, comfortable design. She wouldn't even have to plug it in to get excellent fuel economy.

I was speaking strictly in terms of plug-in midsize "sedans." The Prius is a hatchback, and not a "sedan", at least not the current generation. Otherwise I would mention it and the C-Max as well.

I've also ridden in the back of a 3rd generation Prius (being used as an Uber ride service) coming back from the airport, and I wasn't that impressed with the cargo space behind the rear seat. I expected a much deeper cargo area.

Ok - Here are your options, I took these numbers from the EPA, but its the best representative. Everything else is considered a size categories smaller. I didn't make any assumptions on price or all electric range wanted, etc. You can decide those things for yourself

Base: Toyota Camry - Midsize (103 sqft cabin, 15 sqft trunk)

PHEVs
2015 Toyota Plug-in Prius - Midsize, 94/22
2014 Honda Accord Plug-in - Midsize, 103/9
2015 Ford C-max Energi - Midsize, 100/19
2015 Ford Fusion Energi - Midsize, 103/8
2015 Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid - Large Car, 108/16
2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid - Standard SUV, ??

BEVs
2014 Honda Fit - Small Station Wagon, 91/21
2015 Nissan Leaf - Midsize, 92/24
2015 Kia Soul - Small Station Wagon, 97/19
2014 Tesla Model S - Large Car, 94/26
2014 Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive - Midsize, 90/22
2014 Toyota Rav4 EV - Small SUV, ??

If she is most concerned about passenger volume and at least equal to a 2015 Camry, you probably are limited to the Accord, Fusion, Panamera, Cayenne, and Rav4.

+1 on the Prius Plug In (PiP). I would steer clear of the Fords. Ford forums are blowing up about how the hybrids don't deliver on real world mpg. This has caused Ford to backtrack and change all the hybrid mpg ratings. Check out Priuschat. Nothing by good things to say about PiP. Many are pushing 70-90mpg in it w/o hyper milling; just normal driving.

Prius is essentially the same size of the Camry in terms of passenger space. Plus you get the added cargo room of the hatch.

bestbuyguy21 said:
+1 on the Prius Plug In (PiP). I would steer clear of the Fords. Ford forums are blowing up about how the hybrids don't deliver on real world mpg. This has caused Ford to backtrack and change all the hybrid mpg ratings. Check out Priuschat. Nothing by good things to say about PiP. Many are pushing 70-90mpg in it w/o hyper milling; just normal driving.

Prius is essentially the same size of the Camry in terms of passenger space. Plus you get the added cargo room of the hatch.

That's funny our 2015 cmax is on its first tank of fuel and has been getting 26 miles per charge.

Thanks very much everyone for the suggestions!

Sadly, I failed the plugin community by not successfully convincing my mom to get a car with a plug. :cry:

She was scared away from the Honda Accord plugin and the Ford Fusion Energi due to their high MSRP's (even after incentives they stay in the high 20's or low 30's net cost to the owner).

The main thing she wanted was a roomy interior (Camry size or better), and she was skeptical that the PluginPrius was nearly the same size (it technically is a couple inches smaller in terms of rear seat hip room), plus it was too expensive.

She ended up buying a regular (non-hybrid) 2015 Honda Accord. With all costs and taxes included, she paid $26k.

Given that she is retired and probably drives less than 4k miles per year, I don't feel all that bad that she didn't even go hybrid. From an environmental perspective, the extra impact associated with building a hybrid or BEV compared to a regular ICE only gets overcome if you drive the car a good distance. Her previous car (a Camry Hybrid) only had 48k miles on it after 7 years when it was totaled, and that included years when she was still commuting to work which she is not now.

Still, I would have preferred I could have convinced her to get a plug-in of some sort. Ah well.

smkettner said:
Did you let her drive your LEAF a few days?

No. Wouldn't have been practical. (she lives 150 miles away, either my wife or I use the Leaf everyday for work, and I was out of town on work travel during the time my mom was shopping for cars anyway).
She has ridden in my Leaf though, and thought it was nice. She commented that it was a smooth ride and that she liked the rear-view camera, but she'd like something a bit bigger. (She's used to Camry-size cars.)

smkettner said:
No money for a car but plenty to spend on fuel :|
I thought a bit about this, and I'm convinced her lifetime cost buying the Honda Accord ICE is most likely going to be less than if she had bought a Ford Fusion Energi or Honda Accord Plugin; or, at least, that any cost savings she would get from going the plugin route would be minimal. This is mainly because she is retired and doesn't drive anywhere near as much as the average commuter.

Some numbers:

1. The ~$5k higher up-front costs of the plug-in hybrids.
The Ford Fusion Energi would be a minimum net cost of ~$31k (taking the Edmunds.com "true" price, subtracting the $4007 federal tax credit, the $1500 CA rebate, and then adding sales tax.) compared with the $26k (including sales tax) she paid for the ICE Accord. (The Accord Plug-in is another ~$6k more expensive than the Ford Fusion Energi, for some reason, so I didn't look further at that one). So that means she'd have been paying at least $5k more up-front to get a plugin vehicle that met her size spec. ($31k for the Ford minus $26k for the ICE Accord)

2. She drives so little that the savings of driving mostly electric is probably not enough to make up the up-front cost premium of a plug-in vehicle over an ICE.
Making the extreme assumption that she would drive a plugin (let's say the Ford Fusion Energi) in an "electric only" mode, that means we'd assume a generous ~4mile/kWh rate for that vehicle (I get ~4.8 in my Leaf, according to my dash display). And with tier 1 electricity rates in her town ~14 cents/kWh, that's a cost of at least 3.5 cents/mile. (Any gas usage would just add on to that cost per mile, so I'll use 3.5 cents/mile as a minimum.)
Her ICE Accord is rated 27 mpg city, 36 Hwy. So let's be a bit harsh and say it gets only 30 mpg average. With gas at $2.65/gallon, that's a cost of 8.8 cents per mile. (Gas at $3/gallon, that's 10 cents/mile. $4/gallon, that's 13.3 cents/mile.)

Even taking the extreme case ($4/gallon gas price), the savings of going with a plugin vehicle (and driving it ALL-ELECTRIC) would be AT MOST (13.3 cents/mile minus 3.5 cents/mile =) 9.8 cents/mile.

That means, to make up for the extra $5k she's paying up front for a plugin vehicle, she'd have to drive it (in all-electric mode) at least 51,020 miles. ($5000 / $0.098 savings per mile). (If we are talking $3/gallon gas, the figure is ~77,000 miles).

When her Camry was totaled, it had 48k miles on it after 7 years. That's just under 7k miles per year, and much of that was accrued when she was commuting to work, which she doesn't do any more since she retired. So I'd estimate her actual annual mileage going forward at about 4500 miles per year.

This would mean she'd have to drive the plugin car for at least 11.3 years (51,020 miles / 4500 miles per year) before she made back the extra upfront cost of the plugin via cheaper fuel. And remember, that's the extreme case (assuming $4/gallon gas, a highly efficient plugin car without using ANY gas). More likely it would be more than that. If you just assume the $3/gallon gas, the figure jumps to 17 years.

So she COULD end up saving money, but it wouldn't be much. And it seems just as likely to me that for some reason she moves on to a different car before 11 years is up.

(Don't get me wrong, cost isn't the only reason to go for a plugin, and I'd still prefer she got one for environmental reasons, but I'm just making the point that cost is not a strongly convincing argument for her to go with a plugin. I'd imagine this is a similar issue for others who drive a small amount.)

smkettner said:
Did you mention NEVER going to a fuel station again?

Yeah. I wrote up a whole list of benefits associated with going the plugin route (CA rebate, Fed Tax credit, CA HOV lane sticker, plugging in at home, fewer visits to gas station, etc).
Frankly, I think if I were more present during her search/shop process I could have had a greater influence, but I was out of town working for most of that week. In the end her uncertainty about the range issue made a sole BEV out of the question (even though she rarely drives it outside her own city), and her size constraint meant only a couple PHEVs met her needs (the Ford and the Honda), and those were significantly more expensive.
The holy grail would have been for me to convince her that a Leaf would have met her real needs (it didn't meet her "perceived" needs). The net cost of my Leaf was $19k. It's smaller than a camry but not by a huge amount. Frankly I think a BEV is a perfect car for a retiree. She didn't see it that way though.

Back