Picked up my new Leaf yesterday, 2014 electronics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the LEAFs are finally getting the USA made motor/batteries now, can you look for the domestic content label and snap/post a pic of it?

I understand that at least the batteries undergo a multi-month aging process before they are ready for use, so that might explain why even though they started manufacturing batteries many months ago, they are only just now starting to get ready for production use.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the motor doesn't appear to be sourced from the USA yet...

drees said:
I wonder if the LEAFs are finally getting the USA made motor/batteries now, can you look for the domestic content label and snap/post a pic of it?

I understand that at least the batteries undergo a multi-month aging process before they are ready for use, so that might explain why even though they started manufacturing batteries many months ago, they are only just now starting to get ready for production use.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the motor doesn't appear to be sourced from the USA yet...
I wish I had the domestic/foreign part content sticker of mine. :( It was either removed by the originating dealer (it was a dealer trade because of the equipment and color choices I wanted) or the one I finally leased from. I never got such a sticker w/my Prius either. :roll: So much for Federal law on this...

Sans sticker, mine has a June 2013 build date and the sticker on what apparently is the inverter (from Googling for nissan 291a0 3nf1a) says MADE IN USA. I put up pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/105684180251177299188/Leaf?authkey=Gv1sRgCOP9wPj-tp-fiwE#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The 2nd pic gives some context as to where sticker in the 1st pic was located. Not sure about the origins of the rest of the stack. I noticed on the wiring harnesses, a # of them are Yazaki but made in Mexico and China.

I am really curious about foreign/domestic content of recent '13 Leafs and whether even the ones w/15% US/Canadian + 80% Japanese content have a MADE IN USA label on the same part as mine.

Remember that it can legally have a Made in USA sticker on it even if all the parts come from Japan as long as it is assembled in the U.S...

cwerdna said:
I am really curious about foreign/domestic content of recent '13 Leafs and whether even the ones w/15% US/Canadian + 80% Japanese content have a MADE IN USA label on the same part as mine.

Boourns said:
You might be the only person on earth with an H1 and a Leaf :lol:

Sorry:

We have a 2012 leaf, and an M1025 HMMWV (military H1)
They both have their place, but the Leaf gets a lot more drive time.
But the HMMWV is a convertible :D

Killawhat,

I like how you think!
Yes...same here. The Hummer is purely utilitarian, and you can't beat it in the Florida deeps woods/swamp, and for trailering my wife's horses or my boat.

Not so great for a drive to the restaurant, although it gets far more comments than my other cars do.

We had the seats redone in dolphin and manatee leather.

Garrett

GarrettP1 said:
I'll get some more details on Monday.

I meant to do it this afternoon, but my wife dragged out the honey-do list.
This will be her car BTW, and with the range of the vehicle, probably about perfect for her everyday transport.

She does about 40 miles a day, which isn't a lot, but still puts it in the sweet spot for an EV.

We are not "greenies" either. In fact, I wanted to club a baby harp seal to get the fur for the interior.
I'm anticipating a new gas shortage in the late fall, and I like new tech as well (which is the reason I purchased it).

We will see if my intuition is right. Don't you think baby harp seal fur would look nice on the seats?

Why late fall? Confluence of the probabilities of Mid-East meltdowns and hurricane damage to refineries?

You don't like kitten fur?

GarrettP1 said:
Just got my 2013 Leaf yesterday: Ocean Blue, premium package (purchase not lease).
I had ordered it back at the end of June, and it finally came in.

To the surprise of the dealership (and me), the electronics and battery are all 2014. I don't know all the exact differences, but the dealer asked if they could keep it an extra day to go over it in the shop.

Also called Bosch and ordered the Power Max EVSE. They were pretty up front that the soonest I would get it is in 19 days.

I can't really offer anything informed about the car yet, as I've only put 25 miles on it.
Seems fun.

interested in pix that show how the "2014" is determined. is it a date code? (which would make no sense) or model #? or simply different model #'s other than what has been seen on 2013's which would not necessarily have anything to do with 2014 but might be good news if Nissan is taking on additional vendors to help with a supply bottleneck

EdmondLeaf said:
No new electronics in 1N4AZ0CP1DC413414
So we have new electronics in 1N4AZ0CPXDC4135xx (GarrettP1) - cutover is somewhere in between.

EdmondLeaf - does that mean your PDU doesn't have the "Made in USA" sticker on it? How did you determine that you have the "old" electronics?

We had the seats redone in dolphin and manatee leather.

Yes, the military seats were the first things to go.
Horrible!
Put in a set of 4 Recaro's and had them re-upholstered in unborn otter skin with bald eagle feather accents.
Although, the kitten sounds nice too :lol:

My salesman at Bondy's Nissan couldn't give me the technical answers I wanted (about the exact differences between the 2014 electronics and 2013), so I called on an old resource.

My former front desk receptionist (I moved here from Nashville) is married to a "virtual mechanic" at the Nissan plant there.
He and his colleagues field phone calls from dealership mechanics, and troubleshoot with them, as well as working through new protocols for repairs.

I emailed him my question and VIN number. I usually get a response the same day from him.
I'll post it here when it arrives.

Garrett

GarrettP1 said:
My salesman at Bondy's Nissan couldn't give me the technical answers I wanted (about the exact differences between the 2014 electronics and 2013), so I called on an old resource.

My former front desk receptionist (I moved here from Nashville) is married to a "virtual mechanic" at the Nissan plant there.
He and his colleagues field phone calls from dealership mechanics, and troubleshoot with them, as well as working through new protocols for repairs.

I emailed him my question and VIN number. I usually get a response the same day from him.
I'll post it here when it arrives.

Garrett

what thoughts does this "mechanic" have on the supply shortages of LEAFs nationwide?

is it technical or marketing that is the issue?

Back