Picked up my new Leaf yesterday, 2014 electronics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarrettP1

Just got my 2013 Leaf yesterday: Ocean Blue, premium package (purchase not lease).
I had ordered it back at the end of June, and it finally came in.

To the surprise of the dealership (and me), the electronics and battery are all 2014. I don't know all the exact differences, but the dealer asked if they could keep it an extra day to go over it in the shop.

Also called Bosch and ordered the Power Max EVSE. They were pretty up front that the soonest I would get it is in 19 days.

I can't really offer anything informed about the car yet, as I've only put 25 miles on it.
Seems fun.

And they know all this how?

GarrettP1 said:
To the surprise of the dealership (and me), the electronics and battery are all 2014. I don't know all the exact differences, but the dealer asked if they could keep it an extra day to go over it in the shop.

They know all this because when they went over the car prior to my picking it up, they (the dealership) found out.

The service technician found it (I assume that there were some differences that he didn't recognize).
The sales manager then called me to let me know, and that they wanted to go over it. He did tell me that they had called Nissan about this to figure out what it was.

I'll see if I can get more details about what those differences are. I was in a hurry to get it home as I was supposed to have an important meeting this morning (Saturday), and didn't want to spend the evening discussing the car.

Perhaps, but I don't give Nissan dealers very high marks in being able to figure out much of anything so I'd take it with a large grain of salt until otherwise proven true by some other means...

GarrettP1 said:
They know all this because when they went over the car prior to my picking it up, they (the dealership) found out.

There's a tunneling electron microscope in the research wing of my hospital.

I'll get right on that.

Garrett

I'm picking up my Leaf Monday.

Out of curiosity, what is your VIN, approximately? (You can leave off the last two digits if you want for privacy or security)

Mine is 1n4az0cp8dc4126xx

TomT said:
Perhaps, but I don't give Nissan dealers very high marks in being able to figure out much of anything

You mean those one-minute dealership commercials on youtube where they talk about the Leaf's "smooth-shifting automatic transmission" are inaccurate?

Hehehe! Well, I guess the claim COULD be made that it IS automatic...

Berlino said:
TomT said:
Perhaps, but I don't give Nissan dealers very high marks in being able to figure out much of anything
You mean those one-minute dealership commercials on youtube where they talk about the Leaf's "smooth-shifting automatic transmission" are inaccurate?

TomT said:
Perhaps, but I don't give Nissan dealers very high marks in being able to figure out much of anything so I'd take it with a large grain of salt until otherwise proven true by some other means...

GarrettP1 said:
But if it is true, that might explain the factory slow down. They maybe changing over the line.

And please share any details they give you, Garrett.

For most manufacturers, this is the end of the time period when switchover usually occurs as the 2014s are typically out about now (anyone else notice how it gets earlier every year)...
Nissan has always lagged well behind that time frame with the Leaf but perhaps they are finally trying to get in sync with their other vehicles...

jhm614 said:
But if it is true, that might explain the factory slow down. They maybe changing over the line.

There are only changes for 2014, standard review monitor and a mildly updated "EV-IT" system. http://green.autoblog.com/2013/07/17/2014-nissan-leaf-will-get-smallest-of-upgrades-compared-to-2013/#continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect they could have started putting the new EV-IT head unit in the 2013's early. Since demand has outpaced expectations this year, it's possible that they used up existing part inventory earlier than anticipated.

Bateman said:
There are only changes for 2014, standard review monitor and a mildly updated "EV-IT" system. http://green.autoblog.com/2013/07/17/2014-nissan-leaf-will-get-smallest-of-upgrades-compared-to-2013/#continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect they could have started putting the new EV-IT head unit in the 2013's early. Since demand has outpaced expectations this year, it's possible that they used up existing part inventory earlier than anticipated.

It's true that's all Nissan has announced but remember for the 2013 MY there were lots of little changes that weren't announced in advance.

While I don't trust most Nissan dealer's sales departments regarding LEAF knowledge I would trust a LEAF service tech if he/she had serviced a lot of LEAFs. So I suspect there are changes and I too am interested in hearing what they are.

It's possible they have come up with some cost reductions in the electronics and the chose to substitute before the model year switchover.

I'll get some more details on Monday.

I meant to do it this afternoon, but my wife dragged out the honey-do list.
This will be her car BTW, and with the range of the vehicle, probably about perfect for her everyday transport.

She does about 40 miles a day, which isn't a lot, but still puts it in the sweet spot for an EV.

We are not "greenies" either. In fact, I wanted to club a baby harp seal to get the fur for the interior.
I'm anticipating a new gas shortage in the late fall, and I like new tech as well (which is the reason I purchased it).

We will see if my intuition is right. Don't you think baby harp seal fur would look nice on the seats?

Quote: "Don't you think baby harp seal fur would look nice on the seats?"

Almost anything would look better than what we have now. That's why I spent $1K to have leather installed in mine right after purchase.

I still want to swap out the seats on this, with seats from an Altima.

I got the leather package, and I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they are.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife is quite petite, and she is getting a cushion in the meantime (to boost her height). The seats are fine for me.

We have a Hummer H1, and of all the cars we've owned, she likes the seat height on that one the most (the seat height adjust on the H1 must move almost a foot when you go from low to high).

Back