Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main reason we had to pay more is because our dryer outlet is only 40 amp and so they used the stove at 50 amp which is clear on the other side of the house.

Did they really put the EVSE on a 50A circuit, or are they sharing the circuit with the electric range? At first Nissan chat sessions were saying a 30A 240V circuit was okay (about a year ago). Then as it got closer to deliveries they upped it to 40A that's why I'm puzzled about using a 50A circuit.

Plus the circuit must be a dedicated circuit only to the EVSE, at least that was my understanding prior to the install of my Blink EVSE. When my wife and I were vacationing in the Phoenix area this past March, Skywagon had purchased some new (vintage) rims for his Leaf. I recall seeing the photos of them on a posting he did on MNL. Did he ever document any additional range that he was getting on his Leaf due to the lighter weight car rims?
Hello to all my Phoenix Leafs........Leggedo, TN

mark13 said:
I remember they put in a 40A at our house..
They put 40A breaker size at our house, too. I remember asking the tech what size wire and breaker he ran and he said 30A wire and 40A breaker. It didn't occur to me at the time, but now I wonder if he meant the wire will support the max 30A draw from the Blink (model WE-30C/RE spec'ed at 30A max input current). But if they have 40A breaker, then I assume the wire they installed must be able to handle up to 40A to match with the breaker rating, right?

It easy to see the 40A rating visibly on the breaker, but it's not easy to see the Ampere rating on the wire anymore since it's hidden behind the circuit panel now.

The interesting thing about #8 wire is that it can handle up to 55A, #10 wire is only good to 30A. I can't imagine that any inspector would allow a 40A breaker on #10 wire.

I checked and I actually have #8 wire, too. Tech must have meant wire can support 30 Amps spec from Blink, not just rated at 30A.

It's been a week and I haven't seen the permit in the mail yet. I asked Kortman and they said it depends on the city, but some city can take several weeks to send out the permit.

LEAFfan said:
Mine was installed April 25th, and I haven't received any permit letter yet either.

What permit letter are you guys referring to? My blink was installed last Friday and the guys called in a request for an inspection to the City of Phoenix inspection office before they left. I asked them to ask for a Friday (5/27) inspection date and they said they did. So I should get an inspection tomorrow. They left the building permit with me to show the inspector.

leafkabob said:
LEAFfan said:
Mine was installed April 25th, and I haven't received any permit letter yet either.

What permit letter are you guys referring to? My blink was installed last Friday and the guys called in a request for an inspection to the City of Phoenix inspection office before they left. I asked them to ask for a Friday (5/27) inspection date and they said they did. So I should get an inspection tomorrow. They left the building permit with me to show the inspector.
Maybe it's different depending on the city? I'm in Chandler. Or maybe it's different based on who the installer is? Mine is Kortman.

I would assume that before the installation, a permit would have had to be pulled first, then the installation takes place, then you call for an inspection. I'm guessing maybe Phoenix sends out a permit immediately while Chandler takes their sweet time to send it out...

Note to Arizona Buyers

Went to purchase with credit letter etc from Desert Schools Credit Union after essentially getting a good rate and terms from them as well as having a couple of accounts with them as well. The dealer had Desert Schools listed as of course already being an approved lender through them and everything went smooth in finance.. After having discussions at local branches and several phone calls with loan department verifying rate and length of loan as much as 2 days after the purchase everything was fine still .

Then I get a call from Desert Schools Loan Department( 2 + days after "purchasing the vehicle through them") . THEY DO NOT DO LOANS ON ELECTRIC VEHICLES". Even the dealer was not aware, as of course the various loan department people I had spoken with were unaware of their own credit unions exclusion of "electric vehicles. I had a supervisor call me later and am waiting to hear back with any resolution.

I have already spoken with Arizona Federal and they checked with underwriting department and are fine with doing a loan on an electric vehicle.

Interstates installed mine as we simultaneously finalized the permit stuff. It was inspected about a week after installation when the permit went through. Phoenix needed a complete engineering diagram and that took longer than they expected. But really - the inspector took all of 5 minutes to look things over and give me a green tag.

spyderrs said:
Note to Arizona Buyers

Then I get a call from Desert Schools Loan Department( 2 + days after "purchasing the vehicle through them") . THEY DO NOT DO LOANS ON ELECTRIC VEHICLES". Even the dealer was not aware, as of course the various loan department people I had spoken with were unaware of their own credit unions exclusion of "electric vehicles. I had a supervisor call me later and am waiting to hear back with any resolution.
Get hold of a manager in the loan department and give them a ride ! Is it possible they think of electric vehicles as golf carts and GEMs ? Educate them !

If you can't "get thru" to them, use your alternative lender, hopefully for same of better rate, then do the demo ride at Desert Schools AFTER the loan successfully closes. And tell them "Mistake ! HUGE mistake !" ( a la Pretty Woman )

Great idea!!! I didn't really care for their alternative lender I'm sure I can work out something it seemed as though some one should have caught it long before they did thoug

thanks

LEAFer said:
... then do the demo ride at Desert Schools AFTER the loan successfully closes. And tell them "Mistake ! HUGE mistake !" ( a la Pretty Woman )
I found it ! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQK0VTTXvA

Now that I am scheduled to get my Leaf in June, I am thinking about its use. Does anybody know when we can make a round trip between Tucson and Phoenix in one day. As far as I can tell they are installing chargers in California but not Arizona.

The distance between Phoenix and Tucson is about 115 miles so you'll probably need a charger somewhere in between to top off, like in Casa Grande maybe. When you get to the cities there are probably various charging points to tap on.

Desertstraw said:
Now that I am scheduled to get my Leaf in June, I am thinking about its use. Does anybody know when we can make a round trip between Tucson and Phoenix in one day. As far as I can tell they are installing chargers in California but not Arizona.

My Blink tech told me that the residential installations end at the end of Sept. So I doubt if you will see any DC chargers off the interstates until after that. I did read that they are supposed to be 30 miles apart and Casa Grande is one location off I-10.

Volusiano said:
leafkabob said:
LEAFfan said:

Maybe it's different depending on the city? I'm in Chandler. Or maybe it's different based on who the installer is? Mine is Kortman.

I would assume that before the installation, a permit would have had to be pulled first, then the installation takes place, then you call for an inspection. I'm guessing maybe Phoenix sends out a permit immediately while Chandler takes their sweet time to send it out...

I live in Chandler, and my installation was handled by Wilson Electric. The permit was filed and handled completely by the installer. All I had to do was coordinate a time when I would be at home for both the inspector and the electrician to be there to complete the inspection. The electrician left the permit with me in case he couldn't make it to the inspection, but it's not necessary for the electrician to be present. Inspection took about 15 minutes with no issues.

Back