Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EPleafAZ said:
By the way I received a reply from Bob at Bookmans and he said they are on it and in agreement that it needs to be marked. Woohoo!

I stopped by Bookmans in Mesa today needing a charge and all the spots around the charger were taken up by ICE cars. Very disappointing. I live in central Phoenix, had some errands in Chandler, and planned on charging at Bookmans on the way back.

I don't have my Blink card yet (requested 2 weeks ago when i bought my orphan) so I'm not sure if I coukd have charged at Montis, but I did make it back home with 0 bars and estimated 6 mile range.

shrink said:
EPleafAZ said:
By the way I received a reply from Bob at Bookmans and he said they are on it and in agreement that it needs to be marked. Woohoo!

I stopped by Bookmans in Mesa today needing a charge and all the spots around the charger were taken up by ICE cars. Very disappointing. I live in central Phoenix, had some errands in Chandler, and planned on charging at Bookmans on the way back.

I don't have my Blink card yet (requested 2 weeks ago when i bought my orphan) so I'm not sure if I coukd have charged at Montis, but I did make it back home with 0 bars and estimated 6 mile range.
Did you notice any new sign posted at Bookman's? Bob Bookmans agreed to post a sign up to reserve the spot for EV cars, but then a sign came up and it does not say anything about the spot being reserved for EVs. It only says Free Charging Station. More like a Toot Your Own Horn kind of advertising rather than trying to keep the space clear for EVs. I'm totally disappointed about the sign they put up. Evidently it didn't deter any ICE car from parking there.

shrink said:
EPleafAZ said:

Since ICEs don't seem to get the message, call a tow truck! After a few get towed, they will show more respect. It's perfectly legal to do so and we DO have a law about parking in EV spaces.

LEAFfan said:
shrink said:

Since ICEs don't seem to get the message, call a tow truck! After a few get towed, they will show more respect. It's perfectly legal to do so and we DO have a law about parking in EV spaces.
The thing is, there's no sign that says that it's a reserved space for EVs only. ICE owners can argue that they can legally parked there since there's no sign that says otherwise.

[/quote]The thing is, there's no sign that says that it's a reserved space for EVs only. ICE owners can argue that they can legally parked there since there's no sign that says otherwise.[/quote]

Exactly. All I could see is a sign saying, "Charge your electric vehicle here." I don't think that's clear enough to others that they shouldn't park there.

I did get a response from the store (I'm only listing the initials of the manager who replied out of respect for privacy):

"Thank you for your email regarding the charging station. Unfortuantely, our landlord scheduled construction at our site in order to keep our ramps and walkways in compliance with handicap codes. I do apologize for the inconvenience as we have been diligent about asking people with gas cars to vacate the spot for others. I am sending your comments on to our corporate office as there may something more we can do to ensure that this spot is available for electric car owners. Again, thank you for your email. 
Sincerely, 
S M
Store manager/ Mesa location"

shrink said:
Volusiano said:
The thing is, there's no sign that says that it's a reserved space for EVs only. ICE owners can argue that they can legally parked there since there's no sign that says otherwise.

Exactly. All I could see is a sign saying, "Charge your electric vehicle here." I don't think that's clear enough to others that they shouldn't park there.

I did get a response from the store (I'm only listing the initials of the manager who replied out of respect for privacy):

"Thank you for your email regarding the charging station. Unfortunately, our landlord scheduled construction at our site in order to keep our ramps and walkways in compliance with handicap codes. I do apologize for the inconvenience as we have been diligent about asking people with gas cars to vacate the spot for others. I am sending your comments on to our corporate office as there may something more we can do to ensure that this spot is available for electric car owners. Again, thank you for your email. 
Sincerely, 
S M
Store manager/ Mesa location"
I don't understand this email at all. What does a construction at their site have anything to do with not putting up a "Reserved for electric cars only" sign?

I really don't believe they have been diligent are asking ICE customers not to park there. I've driven by there on several occasions because it's on my way to some place I go regularly. And every single time, I see ICE cars parked there. Every single other report posted here by other posters also said that they saw ICE cars parked in the spot.

And I didn't know they're a chain of stores that have a corporate office. I thought when we emailed to Bob Bookman that Bob is the owner of the store.

I don't know why they need to forward your comments to their corporate office to see what they can do to ensure the spot for EV owners. It's plain as day even to a monkey that the simplest and most effective thing to do is to put a sign that says the right thing out there (Reserved for EVs only). Instead, they put up a lame sign that says "Charge here at Bookman's" and they wonder "what they can do about it"? I don't buy it. The wrong sign was put up AFTER several of us had emailed to Bob Bookman and got a response from him that he'll put up a sign.

I've come to a conclusion that they simply just don't want to do the right sign.

When I tried to use the Bookman's charge site, it was taken up by an ICE. I believe you need some sort of an RFID card to activate the sight and I thought that somehow you would get billed for your use, if not now but in the future.

My concern is that when private companies partner with store owners to install charging stations that they will be expecting some sort of return on their investment. If store owners do not enforce EV only parking in those spots, it won't be long and the entrepreneurs that are installing the charging stations will stop and perhaps even remove them. I think we need to escalate this problem to the state legislature to require proper signs be put up with the threat of towing at the ICE owner's expense if they violate the statute.

ERG4ALL said:
When I tried to use the Bookman's charge site, it was taken up by an ICE. I believe you need some sort of an RFID card to activate the sight and I thought that somehow you would get billed for your use, if not now but in the future.
Yes, you do need a ChargePoint RFID card in order to unlock and use it. For now, it's free. If they plan to charge $ for it, I don't know how they ever are going to make any money is the space is always taken up by ICE cars.

shrink said:

FYI they have a couple of Blink cards at the host counter at Monti's. I used the chargers over lunch one day while I was running an errand in the area and I asked to confirm. Just make sure you give the card back. Granted this was a while back before anyone had a RFID card.

RickS said:
shrink said:

FYI they have a couple of Blink cards at the host counter at Monti's. I used the chargers over lunch one day while I was running an errand in the area and I asked to confirm. Just make sure you give the card back. Granted this was a while back before anyone had a RFID card.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

turbo2ltr said:
woot!

https://picasaweb.google.com/turbo2ltr/SolarInstall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CONGRATS!

What size system did you get and what company? I have a 5.16 kWH (24 panels x 215 W Sunpower panels) on my house in Chandler. I still own that house, but unforunately, don't live there anymore. Long story short, it has become a rental.

I don't have solar panels on my new house, but I miss them dearly. Been going back and forth about installing another system. If only finances would allow...

My Chandler house was 2000 sq ft with a pool and in my first year of use, my electric usage was 0 in April and May. My highest electric bill was in August and that was $135.

Enjoy your system!

I wonder what will it cost to remove the panels and reinstall them when you have to replace your roof tiles or shingles? Is that going to be a big issue? Also will dirt from big dust storms collecting on the panels be an issue? How do you maintain them? And how long will it take for the saving to pay for itself?

Volusiano said:
I wonder what will it cost to remove the panels and reinstall them when you have to replace your roof tiles or shingles? Is that going to be a big issue? Also will dirt from big dust storms collecting on the panels be an issue? How do you maintain them? And how long will it take for the saving to pay for itself?

The only maintenance I had to do on my panels is cleaning up the dust and pigeon droppings. My installation company cleaned them quarterly for free for the 1st two years. In between washings, I would either hose them off once a month or get up on the roof and clean them with a Windex solution recommended by the installation company.

Payback really depends on a lot of factors - household usage, weather, cost of electricity, etc. When i was asked about payback period, I would always ask in return, what's the payback on the depreciating asset of your car? Personally, solar panels weren't about the payback, but more the principle. There is so much sun in Phoenix and we keep burning coal...but I digress...

Estimated payback is typically about 7-10 years, but is tough to calculate because electricity prices will most likely rise during that period. I can only speak from my experience, but in 2009 my out of pocket cost on my 5.12 kWh system was $22,000. After tax rebates, it came out to about $13-$14,000. I enjoyed the system for 2 years and my electric bill went from about $2400/year to $700-$800/year. That comes out to about an 8-9 year "payback" or ROI, and your panels have an estimated 20-25 year life span. If you're in the house for a while, it's a great thing.

Personally, at least my renters are enjoying the benefit and the value of the house is increased.

Its a Solar City lease, 5.52kWDC system. 24/230W panels. One time lease payment around $7600.

House is 1500 sqft. My total yearly power cost before the leaf was about $1300 for about 9300kwh (3800kwh peak/5400kwh off). Now I think it will be about $1600 for about 12.3mWh (3800kwh peak/ 8400kwh off)

They guarantee 7.7kWh (AC) production the first year (derated each additional year)

I expect the break even point in about 6 years.

Removing the panels is pretty easy, just a couple of bolts. And they all unplug. No need to take the rails off the roof to change the tiles. Besides, the house isn't even 10 years old yet...I hope to not have to worry about putting a new roof on for a while.

I also have a Solar City system. My lease was $0 down. Initial monthly payment were $55, now up to $59 (2 yrs later). I wash my panels every few months during dust season. Our SRP bill went down from $225/month to $75/month for our 2,600 sq ft house. 28 panels. Don't have enough experience yet to know what impact the Leaf will have on our bill, but since both my wifa and I work from home it will be minimal.

FYI folks -

SRP, near the North 202 and Priest along the Phoenix-Tempe border and close to the Desert Botanical Garden (I don't have the exact address, but they are in a visitor's lot), installed two Level 2 Blink Chargers this week!

IMG_1317.jpg

I'm not sure if they're live yet, but they were just installed.

That reminds me, what iOS (or Android, I just happen to use the former) charging station apps do you all like for the Phoenix area? My personal favorite so far is Recargo, followed by PlugShare. The Chargepoint app only lists Bookmans, but I think you can use the app to start charging? The EVFinder app seems to list only Nissan Dealerships, which the first two already list, so it's not that useful. When is that Blink Mobile app coming out anyway? Didn't they announce in April with a summer release date?

shrink said:
FYI folks -

SRP, near the North 202 and Priest along the Phoenix-Tempe border and close to the Desert Botanical Garden (I don't have the exact address, but they are in a visitor's lot), installed two Level 2 Blink Chargers this week!

I'm not sure if they're live yet, but they were just installed.

Thanks Shrink!!!

I had some time during lunch and popped over to SRP and test out the new Blinks. They are at the SRP Administration Building north visitor lot 1521 N Project Drive, Tempe AZ.
Easiest access is from Van Buren east of Galvin Parkway on Project Drive. It looks like access is available 24/7. And to my surprise both Blink's were up and energized.
For old timers this is the same location the paddle chargers where at years ago.

Oh yes, when I arrived two ICE vehicles were in two of the four spaces but the Blink's are situated to allow for the cord to reach all four spaces if needed (Should 4 EV's show up and share the juice). Sign posts are set but no restricted parking signs have been installed at this point. For those who use PlugShare I added it to the Phoenix inventory.

shrink said:
FYI folks -SRP, near the North 202 and Priest along the Phoenix-Tempe border and close to the Desert Botanical Garden (I don't have the exact address, but they are in a visitor's lot), installed two Level 2 Blink Chargers this week!
That reminds me, what iOS (or Android, I just happen to use the former) charging station apps do you all like for the Phoenix area? My personal favorite so far is Recargo, followed by PlugShare.

Thanks shrink for the info and Carlos for the address! Now, someone needs to post some signs. Btw, 202 runs E and W.
Do you know if Recargo is for Droids too? Right now, I just have the Chargepoint one

Those 2 Blinks (SRP lot) just went live this week and there is another one in the parking lot of the Botanical Gardens that should be live soon.

Back