Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the EV Project charger installs happening before we get the car, for the Phoenix area? I had the assessment and was approved, but haven't heard from them to set up a date or anything else.

phxsmiley said:
Are the EV Project charger installs happening before we get the car, for the Phoenix area? I had the assessment and was approved, but haven't heard from them to set up a date or anything else.

From what I understand they coordinate the EVProject install to be complete ten days before you get your LEAF.
You won't hear a peep from anyone until that time.

I find that it varies...but I certainly don't have to keep the temperature very low - the AC is seriously cold. Even on a hot day after leaving the car in the lot at work, I don't really have to lower it below 74 or so. When cruising around, 76 is pretty much where I leave it too (that's a far cry from my Lexus which had to be at 68-70 to maintain a cool cabin). According to the guesstimeter, it can change my range anywhere from 2 to 6 miles depending on the time of day. I thought it would have a much greater impact.

cyellen said:
I find that it varies...but I certainly don't have to keep the temperature very low - the AC is seriously cold. Even on a hot day after leaving the car in the lot at work, I don't really have to lower it below 74 or so. When cruising around, 76 is pretty much where I leave it too (that's a far cry from my Lexus which had to be at 68-70 to maintain a cool cabin). According to the guesstimeter, it can change my range anywhere from 2 to 6 miles depending on the time of day. I thought it would have a much greater impact.
I usually find the 82F setting on mine to be adequate already even in ECO mode, and even for AZ summer. I don't know whether it's because mine is not calibrated right or because I don't need it to be as cool as others. It feels like 78F in my cabin, though, even when the setting is at 82F. Also, I have the vents pointing directly at me instead of away from me. Maybe this makes a big difference.

Hi Phoenix area folks: I will be in Phoenix for work related training Aug. 22 to Sept. 1. It would be great to meet some Phoenix Leafers. If anyone is interested in getting together to say hi and put a face to a handle, PM me with your contact info. I won't have a car but maybe we can figure out some way to meet. I will be staying near the airport. I may end up renting a car just to get out and about.

Kat

cyellen said:

Wow! I rarely use the A/C in our dry heat, but when I have a passenger, I put it on. I find that anything lower than 84 is just too cold. When I'm at home, the A/C is set at 85 and with the overhead fans, it's very comfortable. When I first get in after pre-cooling for two hours (never has gone below 86 yet), it will say + 17 with A/C off. After driving awhile, then it will drop to 7-8. Long trips without stopping it goes to +1 or 2. I just don't understand why the pre-cooling isn't cooler after two hours. I noticed while it was pre-cooling that the air isn't very cold coming out the vents.

LEAFfan said:
I just don't understand why the pre-cooling isn't cooler after two hours. I noticed while it was pre-cooling that the air isn't very cold coming out the vents.
Is it possible that what you did was to turn on the AC manually when the car is off and is only in ACC mode (dashboard is on but car is not ON), without it being plugged in? I find that in this mode the AC system will appear to be running and the fan would be blowing, but the compressor is actually not working.

LEAFfan said:
emmphx said:
I am picking my Leaf up tomorrow at ABC Nissan! I'll be commuting 15 miles 3 days a week with it and our Prius will now become the hubby's car. I'm very disappointed that my employer (Honeywell) won't install any charging stations.

Congratulations! What color?
If your commute is only 15 miles (30 RT)/3 days a week , you definitely won't need charging at work. You'll be able to go 65 in the HOV, A/C on High, and you'll still have plenty left for errands after work. You could charge to only 80% every day.

White (glacer pearl or whatever they call it.) I realize I won't need a charger...but an executive who built his own Porsche EV using a kit was given a spot with charging capabilty...he is now retired and I asked about using his spot. The response was along the lines of us wanting to steal electricity! Ionically, our location alone gives out over $200 a month in incentives for clean air commuting. I've 'won' several times. So the funding is there. The response I got is pretty typical for my location--I got the same response when I asked to telecommute 20 years ago.

BTW at least for the the rest of the year, I have a covered parking spot. So the precooling goes pretty fast. I hope to get another covered parking for 2012 (covered parking is auctioned off for charity each December.)
\\

Volusiano said:
On driving in the HOV lane, I'm not sure if I'd venture to do that just yet, until you actually receive the Alternative Fuel plate in the mail and display it prominently on your Leaf. The temporary permit may not cut it to a cop if you get stopped.

LOL I would definitely get ticketed because the HOV is not quite built yet (101 between Desert Ridge and I-17).

emmphx said:
The response was along the lines of us wanting to steal electricity!
This is a tough one because even if you pay the company for the electricity, others who walk by still may not know and still get jealous and complain to the building management, not just about the electricity cost but also about why you should get the premium spot (assuming it's a premium spot since it was for an executive).

So if you don't need the charge, it's just not worth it to attract this kind of negative attention. Besides, if you charge at home at night with the off peak rate, it'd be much cheaper than paying your company to charge during the day for their on-peak rate anyway.

Volusiano said:
emmphx said:
The response was along the lines of us wanting to steal electricity!
This is a tough one because even if you pay the company for the electricity, others who walk by still may not know and still get jealous and complain to the building management, not just about the electricity cost but also about why you should get the premium spot (assuming it's a premium spot since it was for an executive).

So if you don't need the charge, it's just not worth it to attract this kind of negative attention. Besides, if you charge at home at night with the off peak rate, it'd be much cheaper than paying your company to charge during the day for their on-peak rate anyway.

Well anyone who already carpools or drives a hybrid or EV gets close-in parking and eligibility for prizes. And anyone who takes the bus or light rail gets totally free transportation, and people who bike or walk get free showers. I have not yet seen anyone harassed at the bus stop or in the shower facilities.

It's actually in the company's interest because of the county clean air laws. It's how we first justified telecommuting years ago, rather than as a family-friendly option (which it is now also seen as.)

Volusiano said:
LEAFfan said:
I just don't understand why the pre-cooling isn't cooler after two hours. I noticed while it was pre-cooling that the air isn't very cold coming out the vents.
Is it possible that what you did was to turn on the AC manually when the car is off and is only in ACC mode (dashboard is on but car is not ON), without it being plugged in? I find that in this mode the AC system will appear to be running and the fan would be blowing, but the compressor is actually not working.

No, that wasn't possible. Like I said, the garage was 95 and it was putting out cool air (not cold air like when driving), A/C light on as well as the remote cooling light, recirc light on, and fan was running med speed, not high. The car is OFF and the A/C is OFF before it is plugged in and done charging to 100%. I turned the CC on from my comp and it ran for two hours, which is the limit. Any other ideas why it doesn't cool the cabin lower than 86? I can't believe that I'm the only one in Phoenix that has tried this.

LEAFfan said:
Volusiano said:
LEAFfan said:

No, that wasn't possible. Like I said, the garage was 95 and it was putting out cool air (not cold air like when driving), A/C light on as well as the remote cooling light, recirc light on, and fan was running med speed, not high. The car is OFF and the A/C is OFF before it is plugged in and done charging to 100%. I turned the CC on from my comp and it ran for two hours, which is the limit. Any other ideas why it doesn't cool the cabin lower than 86? I can't believe that I'm the only one in Phoenix that has tried this.

I have noticed the same thing when I use the pre-cooling in my car. My garage is still in the 90s in the morning, and the cabin doesn't get as cold as I would expect. According to the user's manual, the A/C temp for the pre-cooling is set at the factory and cannot be changed. But it doesn't say what that temperature is, so my guess would be that it's set to cool the cabin to 10 degrees cooler than the outside temp. I'll have to put a thermometer in my car in the morning and see what it cools down to.

Mystery solved! I received a call today from Mike Nauth at Nissan Corp (TN) about replacing my broken LEAF model so I asked him about the pre-cooling in a hot garage. He said when the garage is 90 or higher it will only just cool the cabin so that when you get in, it will be cool. If the garage was less than 90, like 82 or so, it would probably cool it down to 77, which is the default temp for both heating and cooling. So it sounds like 15 minutes will be enough pre-cooling which is the default for unplugged. He also said that if the air came out any colder, it would have to use the battery pack. I noticed that it when I do the pre-cooling, it doesn't use much electricity, since it isn't charging. I wonder if anyone has put a meter on just the pre-cooling while plugged in. I'm going to guess that it will be less than a kW.

LEAFfan said:
Mystery solved! I received a call today from Mike Nauth at Nissan Corp (TN) about replacing my broken LEAF model

Wow, you are wanting a non-broken model and some of us earlier adopters did not get one at all........

Skywagon said:
LEAFfan said:
Mystery solved! I received a call today from Mike Nauth at Nissan Corp (TN) about replacing my broken LEAF model

Wow, you are wanting a non-broken model and some of us earlier adopters did not get one at all........

Someone on here said they were only sending them to people who had to wait a long time. We didn't ask for them, they just sent them. Sorry, Skywagon, you didn't have to wait very long. I waited 14 months from res and 9 mos. from order. So, of course I want an unbroken one! YOU would want a broken model? You can have mine then.

This is an item in today's news: "Sixteen electric-vehicle charging stations being installed at Pima County libraries this month are part of a network of 125 stations slated for the entire Tucson area by the end of 2011, officials said Friday."

It was stated in the article that the same program will put charging stations in Phoenix. Does anyone know the details.

Leaffan, your car is getting replaced because of a AC problem? That is extreme.

I am real disapointed in the rollout of Phoenix charging station. :cry:

Gonewild said:
It's just his little broken model car that's replaced, not his real car. And he doesn't have an AC problem with his real car. He just had some question about how the AC pre-cooling works.

Gonewild said:
I am real disapointed in the rollout of Phoenix charging station. :cry:

Gonewild, please read the 4th post above yours and that will explain about the A/C question. If you pre-cool with it plugged in, it will give you helpful info.
AFAIK, ECOtality is supposed to install QC and L2s by the end of this year. I believe most of their time is still spent with home installations and those end Sept. 30.

Back