Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met someone today who was in Casa Grande last weekend, She said that she saw electric car chargers. Does this mean that Blink is actually in the process of installing them?

Desertstraw said:
I met someone today who was in Casa Grande last weekend, She said that she saw electric car chargers. Does this mean that Blink is actually in the process of installing them?

Not that I know of yet. There are still some inductive paddle chargers at one of the old outlet strip malls south of town along the I-10. They do us no good.

Well actually the charging station in Casa Grande is right in front of the Wendy's at the outlet mall. It has a large paddle inductive charger, an Avcon which didn't work last I checked it about a year ago, and a box with NEMA 14-50 (240V) and NEMA 5-20 (120V) outlets. So those could be used depending on how long you want to stay there. The chargers are readily visible off I-17 and have a partial shade canopy. There were even still signs pointing to the charging station when I was there last.

RickS said:
The chargers are readily visible off I-17 and have a partial shade canopy. There were even still signs pointing to the charging station when I was there last.
I think you mean I10 instead of I17. It's nice to know that there may still be some kind of power there. Next time I drive through (in my ICE), I'll check them out. Don't want to take the Leaf there only to find out there is no power.

As for the Blink charger being installed in Case Grande, I spoke with Tammy Tepper-Cunningham from Ecotality today and she mentioned that a level 3 quick charger was slotted to be installed at a gas station off of I10 in Casa Grande. I think she mentioned it would be at the AMPM station or the Shell station on East Florence Boulevard. There is a Cracker Barrel right next door.

We took delivery of our Silver Ocean SL-e Leaf yesterday! :mrgreen: We'd purchased the car from
Mossy Nissan in Poway (San Diego). How nice to go through the process and never set foot in a dealership -- the car was delivered right to (or near) our house.

On our first day (109F outside), I saw the estimated range drop from 90 miles to 22 miles after only about 35 miles of driving (that's almost a 2:1 factor). Makes me a little nervous about my 30 mile commute later this morning...I've charged to 80%, and the car's estimating a 58 mile range (climate control on). Could be I see the turtle as I round the corner to my house.

Now I'm sure I wasn't driving too conservatively yesterday...there were a couple of test drives, and I had to see how it did off the line, but still...today could be an adventure.

So I'm curious...will my range estimator get better with time? I'll likely manually calculate the range based on the mile/kW hr data for a while, at least until I'm comfortable with what Nissan's telling me.

Also, I'm curious...has anyone in Phoenix noticed deterioration in range with the high temps the last week? We were blessed with a cool spring, but the last few days should have been a real test for us leafers.

If you were doing 70+mph, I could see your range behaving like that, otherwise is sounds odd to me. At 75 you pretty much need double the power to maintain speed than at 60. Or you drove farther than you thought, or up a hill. Read the plethora of threads on how innaccurate the range meter is.

There is a 'break in' period for the battery. I saw it more in how far I could go on the first couple SOC bars than a change in the range. I think I started noticing the change after about 2000 miles

Mdg56 said:
We took delivery of our Silver Ocean SL-e Leaf yesterday! :mrgreen: We'd purchased the car from
Mossy Nissan in Poway (San Diego). How nice to go through the process and never set foot in a dealership -- the car was delivered right to (or near) our house.

On our first day (109F outside), I saw the estimated range drop from 90 miles to 22 miles after only about 35 miles of driving (that's almost a 2:1 factor). Makes me a little nervous about my 30 mile commute later this morning...I've charged to 80%, and the car's estimating a 58 mile range (climate control on). Could be I see the turtle as I round the corner to my house.

Now I'm sure I wasn't driving too conservatively yesterday...there were a couple of test drives, and I had to see how it did off the line, but still...today could be an adventure.

So I'm curious...will my range estimator get better with time? I'll likely manually calculate the range based on the mile/kW hr data for a while, at least until I'm comfortable with what Nissan's telling me.

Also, I'm curious...has anyone in Phoenix noticed deterioration in range with the high temps the last week? We were blessed with a cool spring, but the last few days should have been a real test for us leafers.

Yes, I have seen quite a bit of variance in the estimated range this past week, even though my daily commute is the same. On the days it was over 110, at the end of my 30 mile daily usage, the remaining range was around 20-25 with SOC of two bars. And I have seen my range estimate drop during the day between the time I parked my car to go into work, and when I got back in to leave, usually a drop of 1-2 bars just sitting in the parking lot. I don't know if this means the batteries do loose charge at higher temps, or if the computer is over compensating for the higher A/C usage and outside temperature. On the hottest days, my A/C pulls 3kWh+ when running vs. 1-1.5 kWh on cooler days. Of course my range went back up on Wednesday when we had cooler temps and scattered rain. Perhaps the main cooling system or charger cooling kicks in during the day if the temps get above a certain temperature. On day my co-worker told me he heard fan noise coming from my car (while I wasn't in it) as he was walking past it in the parking lot.

turbo2ltr said:
By any chance was the day your coworker heard something from your car the same day you lost 2 bars sitting there? :)

Unfortunately not. It was a couple weeks ago that my co-worker heard this. This definitely needs some more investigation in my opinion. Today between 1pm and 5:30pm my car lost 1 bar but gained 2 miles of range according to the dashboard. I keep forgetting to run a Carwings update throughout the day to see if the SoC % reported on the website changes as dramatically as the car display. If I could get a script written, I could even record an hourly update.

Mdg56 said:
We took delivery of our Silver Ocean SL-e Leaf yesterday!

Did you mean 'Brilliant Silver' or 'Blue Ocean'? There is no "Silver Ocean".
I've been driving in all the hot days here and haven't seen any difference. It all depends on your 'foot'. When it was 115 degrees the other day, I still obtained over 6m/Kwh.

Anyone else have trouble passing their inspection with the city of phoenix for the ecotality blink install?

SECON installed mine a few weeks back, and the city came to inspect this past week. The inspector failed the install even though it was identical to the approved plans. He spoke to the person who approved the plan and said a ton of these has slipped through without issue. He cited code the conflicted with what was approved. Something about the plug going from the charger right into the outlet without a shutoff or something.

SECON is working with city of Phoenix, but how odd?

Inspector was a nice guy, told me it wasn't a danger to keep using it so I could continue to do so. Still, that was unexpected...

I failed the first time with the clipper creek for a pretty minor thing. They came and fixed it, and passed. Then they said when they swap in the blink, they would not need to be called again so they never inspected the blink.

Seem's kind of odd since other appliances plug in like that as well.

EPleafAZ said:
Anyone else have trouble passing their inspection with the city of phoenix for the ecotality blink install?

SECON installed mine a few weeks back, and the city came to inspect this past week. The inspector failed the install even though it was identical to the approved plans. He spoke to the person who approved the plan and said a ton of these has slipped through without issue. He cited code the conflicted with what was approved. Something about the plug going from the charger right into the outlet without a shutoff or something.

SECON is working with city of Phoenix, but how odd?

Inspector was a nice guy, told me it wasn't a danger to keep using it so I could continue to do so. Still, that was unexpected...

That is odd, since the code is supposed to cover health and safety issues. Secon installed my blink and I was told the city inspector would come out on a Friday, my day off. Instead I noticed my inspector came on a Wednesday when no one was home and passed the inspection - even though he could not get inside my garage where the blink is.

My situation may be different though, since I am adding on to my house and I get regular inspections from this same inspector. In fact, on his next visit I showed him the blink. No shutoff in between the blink and the plug and he was OK with it. He was interested in my Leaf, so I took him for a short ride and let him drive it around the block. ;)

EPleafAZ said:

I'm not in Phoenix, so the codes could be different here. Mine was installed Apr. 25th and no one yet has come or called to inspect it. I haven't even received the 'Permit' papers yet from Interstates. They keep telling me they are going to email them to me, but haven't. It is out of my control. It plugs in directly to the socket with the only shutoff at the outside breaker panel.

I'm not in Phoenix, either. Mine was installed on 5/13 by Kortman Electric and I was told to wait for a permit paperwork in the mail before calling in for an inspection. At first they said it'd take about 3 weeks, then a month passed and I asked them again and they said all their permitting is taking longer than they thought, but I'm still in the list to be processed. They said they can give me an estimate for the permit arrival time again, but the process is constantly changing so their estimate would be no good anyway. They said to contact them if I still haven't seen anything in a couple of months.

My Blink plugs directly into the 240V L6-50 outlet and the only shutoff control is the circuit breaker outside in the panel.

Had a Leaf sighting here at Intel Chandler. Looks like a Pearl SL-e was on our C6 Parking Garage, second floor, sipping some juice from a nearby outlet :)

Congratulations, if you are on this forum...

I just had the Blink inspected 2 months after it was installed..When you call for a inspection its all automated..You have no choice in what day or time..Be prepared to sit at home all day until they show up..

Back