Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks EPleafAZ. I followed your example, called CS, and was told that my car was in the port and would be shipped to the dealer when they have a batch.

Hi Desertstraw,

Glad you are at the port too. Can't wait to start seeing some leafs around town!

Have any of you been offered "ZakTek Teflon Coating" as part of the vehicle sale? I'm going through ABC Nissan and they include it by default, not sure if I want to keep it since it's $300. I've not heard of it, but sounds like it might be a good thing to protect the paint...

I believe that is a dealer installed option. I chose the protection package from the factory. It is a clear plastic application that is supposed to help keep the front of the vehicle from stone chips. It also included mudflaps to keep stones from coming up from the wheels and nicking the paint. Although I must admit that the front only covered about half of the area, so maybe the coating you mention might be just as well.

This evening to decided to take my LEAF to the top of South Mountain as I had never tanken any of the previous EV's up there... I only used 1 bar of pack capacity to do the climb and regenerated most of the way down. Made for a nice sunset photo at the top:

5822993043_60bd16eb07_b.jpg

Also, on the way back I reached a mileage/display goal, all 5's (odometer, miles remaining, 5 bars of capacity, 5.0 miles/kwh - never reset since new; just had 6 bars of battery temp - hard to get that any less this time of year)... pretty cool and took some thought:

5823012565_86b48106c8_z.jpg

I don't get the "Energy Economy Average" display like you have. I get the percent to charge times at 240V and 120V. Am I missing some option in the set up or is this perhaps a small software difference based on date of manufacture (VIN #404)? I've seen the list of the many programs in the LEAF and perhaps the software update that we've all had due to the A/C problem did not touch another program that may be responsible for the difference.

ERG4ALL said:
I don't get the "Energy Economy Average" display like you have.
There are four clustered buttons left of the steering wheel. The upper left one will toggle the middle display between different items, including the Energy Economy Average screen.

JasonT said:
ERG4ALL said:
I don't get the "Energy Economy Average" display like you have.
There are four clustered buttons left of the steering wheel. The upper left one will toggle the middle display between different items, including the Energy Economy Average screen.

Yes, and also where you can change your 'start up' sound if you choose or turn it off.

Great pics Skywagon!

BTW: I went to test drive a leaf today at ABC Nissan (where my order is placed) and Jim was awesome and knew so much about the vehicle and the technology. The car far exceeded my expectations, now I'm just counting down the days.

Even though my date was pushed out a week, I'm still hoping for an early arrival next week or the week following.

Eric

EPleafAZ said:
Hi Desertstraw,

Glad you are at the port too. Can't wait to start seeing some leafs around town!

Have any of you been offered "ZakTek Teflon Coating" as part of the vehicle sale? I'm going through ABC Nissan and they include it by default, not sure if I want to keep it since it's $300. I've not heard of it, but sounds like it might be a good thing to protect the paint...

The dealer I bought my Leaf from threw in the Perma Plate coating as a freebie when I purchased. It was the "teflon coating" for the paint plus scotchguard spray on the interior upholstery. It's not worth it for $300, maybe at most the labor cost for the tech to spray it on the car. You can get good car wax from the auto store for $10 that has teflon or polymer additives in it. The Teflon coating is really just the brand name of a polymer additive in the car wax, and some waxes just advertise polymer additive on the box. Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, etc. all sell waxes with polymer coating. Using a good car wax with UV protection every time you wash is probably the most effective thing you can do against the sun and bird doo.

I was planning on using some sort of scotchguard type fabric protection on my Leaf, even before the dealer threw it in for free. I had to take my car back to the service dept to have it done, but it saved me a couple hours of work. Now I don't have to worry so much when my 2 year old decides to dump his sippy cup of milk on the seat.

Hi DarkDave,

That's a pretty sweet deal. Mind if I ask which dealer it was?

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to washing and waxing... Thankfully it will be in the garage at home and at work. That's why I'm kindof leaning toward this since it's less often as far as application goes (I think every 6 months?) But if it's no good or way overpriced certainly don't want to waste my money.

Thanks,
Eric

EPleafAZ said:
Hi DarkDave,

That's a pretty sweet deal. Mind if I ask which dealer it was?

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to washing and waxing... Thankfully it will be in the garage at home and at work. That's why I'm kindof leaning toward this since it's less often as far as application goes (I think every 6 months?) But if it's no good or way overpriced certainly don't want to waste my money.

Thanks,
Eric

I bought my Leaf through Power Nissan of Chandler. I think one of the reasons they threw it in for free was that the car already had the Perma Plate sticker on the window when I first saw the car at the dealer, so I'm betting they used the polymer wax when they washed and prepped the car when it arrived at the dealer. Since they only valued it at $100 retail, the cost of applying the wax and scotchguard was made up for in the financing and free advertising.

Meguiar's sells Meguiars Mirror Glaze #20 Polymer Sealant, which they market as the same thing as what you get at the dealer. A 16oz bottle sells for around $15. It can be applied via hand or orbital polisher. I'm going to try this out on my Leaf and see how well it works. I've had good luck with Meguiar's products on my old Maxima. After 9 years the clear coat on it was still in excellent shape using carnuba waxes, so I'd be interested to see how well the paint on my Leaf holds up over time using polymer sealants. My Maxima had dark blue paint, so every scratch and flaw stood out like a sore thumb in sunlight.

Try Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax which is available at most places that sell automotive products (including Walmart); it is around $20 and comes in a black box with an applicator pad. I have been doing professional detailing on the side for many years and it is not often when a consumer grade product is as good the Ultimate Wax is.

What have I done?

I just saw the pictures of the eco-trim package, which for some reason I seem to have ordered last year. Nothing against Nissan, but I am horrified and am wondering what can be done to correct this.

I spoke to Nissan and it's too late to change the order. I can't imagine having picked that if I knew there would be a huge sticker on the side of the car and that oh so blue console cover on my black car. I'm not the part of their target market that likes to show off.

Any advice?

I suppose on a black car that the decal will show more than on our Ocean Blue car. However, I was surprised by how little attention the decal draws. Most people walk by and treat it just like any other adornment that cars often have. On the other hand, we have displayed our LEAF at three local events in an effort to "get the word out" that EVs are becoming viable and one tool in reducing our dependence on foreign oil. Thus, perhaps be proud to help in the cause. Also, I consider this our "starter" EV and plan in three years to probably be purchasing the next generation.

That's a very good way of looking at it. I will hold judgement until I see how it look on the black paint. I'm certainly proud of the leaf and thankful that there are EV's back on the road again.

What did you think of the console cover? Were there any other changes as part of that package?

Thanks,
Eric

Woohoo, I think I'm getting close. Called Nissan and they said car has been invoiced and released to the dealership - and that it's there or arriving. Can't wait!

What did you think of the console cover? Were there any other changes as part of that package?
If you mean the cover over the video screen, ours is black. That doesn't affect us one way or the other. What I would suggest is that Nissan make it out of the same plastic that the dashboard is made of. What we have noticed is that the cover is shiny plastic and creates a lot of static electricity that attracts dust. The rest of the package is okay. We get some protection in the front bumper and we really like the mudguards that prevent stones from coming up and damaging the paint along the rocker panels. The halographic kick panels are nice and the floormats are super. We got the package because we are leasing the car and we do some driving on unpaved streets and wanted to protect the finish and interior as much as possible.
We are avid protagonists on EVs and actually wish that the blue decal was some other color to stand out more. It seems people see the decal but don't perceive it. Yeah, it's a decal but nearly everyone doesn't read it for the meaning that it contains.

Anyone has tried using the ChargePoint station at Bookman's in Mesa (NW corner of Country Club and Southern)? I drove by there 3 times already (just happened to be on the way, didn't make special trip), and all 3 times I saw ICE cars parking in that spot. There's no sign at all that says the spot is reserved for electric/plug-in cars, so people just park there for convenience because it's at the front of the store.

I just got my ChargePoint ChargePass today so I'm keen to try it out next time I'm there. But with any luck, it'll most probably be occupied by an ICE car again.

On a similar topic, I've been waiting for a Blink RFID card requested on 6/5. Did anybody have any luck getting one? The only place with the Blink charge stations right now is at Monti's by ASU. I wonder if you have to eat at the restaurant to charge there or not.

I wonder why Phoenix is so slow to have more charging stations compared to California. I thought AZ is another hotbed for electric cars.

Anyone has tried using the ChargePoint station at Bookman's in Mesa (NW corner of Country Club and Southern)?
We had the same result in March. We waited just a minute or two trying to decide what to do when the car next to the violator moved out. The cable is long enough so that you can still use the facility. I was thinking of pulling in behind the violator and hooking up and penning them in, but decided not to. When we talked to the people in Bookman's none of the sales staff knew anything about it so they are no help in policing it.

Back