phev dominance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adric22 said:
There's another factor I should have put in there but forgot... That's government incentives. Once they run out, a 20-mile PHEV will be the cheapest plug-in car for most people to afford. Right now the government is basically paying for the battery so the bigger battery is better.

well here's hoping the incentives are timed to run out the day after the cheap battery breakthru makes it to the streets

DaveinOlyWA said:
that means its NOT the future because its really just a throwback. its allowing Win 8 to run a 32 bit filing system. IOW; a weak, underpowered workaround to a non issue solely to provide comfort to people who are simply unwilling to change
What if, like most Americans, you lived in a city with absolutely zero public charging infrastructure? If DF/W had no charging infrastructure, my Leaf would essentially have a range of about 25 to 30 miles away from my house in Ft.Worth. That isn't enough range to even reach most of Dallas. And that is being realistic. I might could stretch that to say 35 to 40 miles if I want to go without climate control and avoid the freeway.

I'm sorry to tell you, but a Leaf would not work as our only car with its current range if we did not have public chargers around here. We'd have to go with a PHEV.

adric22 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
that means its NOT the future because its really just a throwback. its allowing Win 8 to run a 32 bit filing system. IOW; a weak, underpowered workaround to a non issue solely to provide comfort to people who are simply unwilling to change
What if, like most Americans, you lived in a city with absolutely zero public charging infrastructure?

no such thing. there are over a quarter billion places to plug in

DaveinOlyWA said:
adric22 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
What if, like most Americans, you lived in a city with absolutely zero public charging infrastructure?

no such thing. there are over a quarter billion places to plug in

Sorry, I call bull@#$ on that argument. First of all, most of those quarter billion sockets are 120V and therefor not really all that suitable for extending range. Second, finding such a plug that you can reach from your parking spot and getting permission to use it make the situation for more difficult, if not impossible. And to top it off, in my experience at least half of the outdoor GFCI outlets I've encountered don't even work and the property owners were unaware because they never use it.

You just aren't being creative adric, just pull up in front of any strangers house and tell the owner you're going to feed an extension in through their children's bedroom window and sit there for twenty hours. They will be completely understanding of that, particularly in Texas.

Oh and be sure to tell the owner the bedroom receptacle needs to be spec grade, side wired on 12 gauge. You can be sure the owner will give you 12 gauge.

Adric, it isn't a bullsh@t argument, but it may be regional.
1. There are public 110 outlets in many places where I live in MN. Back in the 70s and 80s there were oil pan heater plugs in many, many parking lots.
2. A large portion of the public have homes which they can charge at, so while the infrastructure may not be everywhere, it is definately better than zero.
3. The discussion has been around the future of EVs vs PHEVs, not the present or the past. EVs will extend their range making them work for more people, with or without infrastructure, and infrastructure is growing anyways.

the current USA trend is
EVs increase in market share, but not variety
PHEVs increase in variety, gain market share vs HEVs, but still lose market share vs EVs.

Tesla's superchargers are far more cost effective for Tesla than a Tesla sized range extender....
Chademo deployments contine, Chademo costs keep coming down, Nissan LEAFs gets more practical, and it seems that Nissan is seriously considering a 150mile EPA LEAF in the future.

EVs have a more difficult infrastructure burden to overcome than PHEVs, but the otherside is more cost effective than onboard engines.

Both will continue to grow.

adric22 said:
Sorry, I call bull@#$ on that argument. First of all, most of those quarter billion sockets are 120V and therefor not really all that suitable for extending range. Second, finding such a plug that you can reach from your parking spot and getting permission to use it make the situation for more difficult, if not impossible. And to top it off, in my experience at least half of the outdoor GFCI outlets I've encountered don't even work and the property owners were unaware because they never use it.

call it what you want but I am not the one ignoring the OP, you are. maybe you should reread it first. He is talking about the FUTURE, you are talking about the here and NOW

Back