People in the street, and the shape of the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norway

All my life I've had "good solid German cars" - Mercedes-Benz and Volkwagen. I've even got three (!) VW Golf CityStromers EVs!

When I wanted to buy a new car, being an electronic engineer, I looked at all the specifications, and the choice of avaiable cars, and without a doubt I chose a Nissan Leaf, which I'm very happy with.

However, for me, the design was way-off what I was used to. I didn't dislike the outside shape, but I have to admit I didn't speak to me. It was not why I chose the car.

What has surprised me is how many people stop me in the street and tell me they really like the shape of the car. Strangers stop to say: "That design is great!"

What do you think of the outside design (the shape)? I'm slowly coming round to it.

Norway said:
What has surprised me is how many people stop me in the street and tell me they really like the shape of the car. Strangers stop to say: "That design is great!"

What do you think of the outside design (the shape)? I'm slowly coming round to it.

Like you, I wasn't thrilled with the shape at first, but I like it now. All of the comments that others have made have been positive. My neighbor even asked whether he could get one with a gas engine because he needed more range. :shock:

I've usually chosen sports coupes, with a Volvo wagon or now a Prius as the family hauler. I got the LEAF because it was the first affordable EV and we wanted to be greener for our fun driving and use our solar power to good advantage.

As I said, all of the comments I've received have been positive, some of them very admiring. The LEAF doesn't photograph well, especially from a low, front angle, but it is much nicer looking "in person". And it blends in with all of the Mazdas, Fits and Priuses around here. In fact, some of us have said that the LEAF doesn't stand out enough to make a real EV statement.

It has really grown on me. It's a bit more egg-shaped than other cars, which makes it a bit more aero-dynamic.

IMO, the other the other EV's and HEV's are not in the least bit distinctive. The Volt and Escape look nice, but they also look like every other economic car on the road. I'll take Leaf's uniqueness any day.

i started out not being in love with the shape. In fact, I was surprised when I went to see Red for the first time that she was so large. I had in my mind a smaller stance.

But now, I love the anime look of the Leaf. It has a bug-eyed stance and cartoon appeal. I feel like I could be in a new, Japanese version of the Jetsons.

I've had a few random women comment positively on the look. Maybe this was Nissan's original target market?

However, my wife thinks a direct gaze at it is best avoided. I think it's puny or runty looking. That shape isn't going to sell any better when there are more attractive EV choices available.

It only looks good from a couple different angles (diagonally from the front corners), but it has grown on me. I too am a sucker for German design, and if there had been a VW EV available last year I would have chosen that instead, but the technology is way more important than the look.

The Volt looks better, but I need a bigger back seat.

I've had many comments in parking lots, especially from women, about how cute my car is. They actually have no idea its even electric powered. My dad actually told me if they had a gasoline or hybrid version he'd buy one, but since they only have a single car, they can't make the electric work. At the car show I had a approx 12 year old girl come sit in the car and she told her dad it was the coolest looking car at the show and she wanted one just like it. She had no idea it was electric.

Personally, I thought the car was ugly the first time I saw a picture of the production version. But I decided that it was the car for me based on everything else. After owning one, I have come to really like the front-end design. But I am still not too crazy about the back. I'm very pleased with the interior design, though.

Am I the only person who has occasionally mistaken the back end of a Murano for a Leaf, or vice-versa? While the confusion is only temporary, iIf you can only see the shape and not the taillights and have nothing to scale it with, they have virtually the same contours.

GRA said:
Am I the only person who has occasionally mistaken the back end of a Murano for a Leaf...
No. We own a Murano and I have seen enough LEAFs that I should know the difference. Very reminiscent. Murano styling was fairly polarizing as well. People loved it, or hated it. BTW, I'm the later.

I hated the LEAF design before I got mine. I thought it looked like a giant catfish. Now I love it.

I think the rear looks better than any hatchback out there. The side profile also looks sporty. The front... well it still resembles a fish, but it's cute.

I liked the look from my first glance. Appropriate for an early EV. And yes, ditto to the comments that women especially admire the looks. I look bug eyed from my thick glasses, maybe this bodes well for me. :lol:

kubel said:
I hated the LEAF design before I got mine. I thought it looked like a giant catfish. Now I love it.

What kind of catfish do you have where you're from? :shock:

:mrgreen:

I think it looks a little like a Nissan Versa. I have had women tell me they like my Leaf. I don't care so much about the shape but I love the Blue Ocean color!

I have had several women tell me they think the car is really cute, and they all love Ocean Blue color (as do I). Also, I like the fact that with its distinctive shape and color I can find my Leaf in a parking lot in a heartbeat.

kubel said:

I think the rear looks better than any hatchback out there. The side profile also looks sporty. The front... well it still resembles a fish, but it's cute.

:D Yes! I first saw a LEAF at a look-see event in San Jose, CA (Santana Row) in 2010. (Remember, the first blue color that was thankfully changed to Ocean Blue?) I've never really liked the looks of the back end. And, yes, it reminds me of a catfish.

After buying mine the first thing I messed up was scrapping the back bumper on the garage door coming down too close to it. That big, lumpy back end and I don't always get along.

But, you know, the LEAF never has problems carrying all the stuff we buy at Costco and even held up carrying 400 pounds of shredded tire playground mulch from Atwater, CA to Fresno, CA (65 miles). It's the best designed catfish I've ever owned :lol:

From the back, the Leaf looks like the Rogue, not the Murano, IMHO. I'm not in love with the look of the Leaf...I find the Focus more attractive. And the Fit. But I didn't get this car for how it looks, but more for the looks it attracts :)

Stoaty said:
I have had several women tell me they think the car is really cute, and they all love Ocean Blue color (as do I). Also, I like the fact that with its distinctive shape and color I can find my Leaf in a parking lot in a heartbeat.
Now that you mention it, I do find the car easy to spot in a parking lot thanks to the shape and unique color.

I've had two women in parking lots tell me how much they liked my car and it was clear that neither had any idea it was electric (no surprise, it is the only EV in this area). But mostly people just ignore it, so far as I can tell, and I was disappointed at first.

I'm used to the looks but I never rated cars on such things, I am more interested in practicality. I wish the hatch was bigger to allow better access to the back. I would prefer that the Cd was a bit better since it is so crucial for short-range EVs. I really like the front plug panel and am surprised that other EVs and PHEVs don't also use a front plug port. But looks? Beyond the distinctive color I don't care.

i really didnt care as long as the LEAF

was 100% electric
did at least 50 miles on a charge
had same basic room as a Prius (or more)

as far as the shape? really didnt care. thought it to be a bit "different" but only because i had done Priuses so long (had 3 of them) i never thought about any other passenger car shape but after signing up to get a LEAF, i started to notice that the basic shape is rather common.

the most compliments i got was the blue color. lot of people liked that more than anything else to the point where it seemed to overshadow the "zero emission" sticker plastered all over the side of the car...

I didn't care for its looks when I bought and it didn't bug me at first, but everytime I looked at one on the road it just reminded me that it's not really hot looking. Generally, though, women thought it was cute while guys hate it. Those guys drove Audi's and BMW's.

To me, it's a Versa with a big a$$. But I love it.

I really like the idea that I am doing something revolutionary and can stay relatively anonymous at the same time.

Back