Peer Review on DIY 50A/240V circuit for EVSE:)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abhik: May I ask you what you would do if you had two EVs? Assume also that you have a two car garage that would allow charging both cars. I am interested in how that might change your approach (if at all), as this may become a more common issue before too long.

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I think when he finds out the cost of the GFI 240 breaker he might opt for something more conventional. not sure its required when the install is inside.
You are correct that it is not required by the National Electric Code (NEC) inside. I believe they are fairly pricey for 240V.
Apparently in the negotiations on needed safety improvements in the NEC they determined that the benefits for more widespread requirement for GFCI on 240V did not justify the change. Their more recent change has been much more widespread requirement for the arc fault breakers on 120V. They are impressive in what they can spot, such as a frayed lamp cord with infrequent partial short that ultimately would result in a fire. But they can be aggravating on installation, because they will also trip on just a slightly bad wire nut connection inside an electrical box.
Maybe with more widespread use of plug in EVSEs in garages, the NEC might eventually move towards requiring GFCI. Mine is not, was evProject contractor installed and was not required. I haven't went to the electrical supply house to determine the cost of changing the breaker to GFCI.

I have moved several times since getting my LEAF and have left behind an "EV friendly" houses in my wake. One install did require a 240 Volt GFI due to its being outdoors and a 20 amp 240 volt GFI breaker was $125. a regular breaker? $12

DaveinOlyWA said:
TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I think when he finds out the cost of the GFI 240 breaker he might opt for something more conventional. not sure its required when the install is inside.
You are correct that it is not required by the National Electric Code (NEC) inside. I believe they are fairly pricey for 240V.
Apparently in the negotiations on needed safety improvements in the NEC they determined that the benefits for more widespread requirement for GFCI on 240V did not justify the change. Their more recent change has been much more widespread requirement for the arc fault breakers on 120V. They are impressive in what they can spot, such as a frayed lamp cord with infrequent partial short that ultimately would result in a fire. But they can be aggravating on installation, because they will also trip on just a slightly bad wire nut connection inside an electrical box.
Maybe with more widespread use of plug in EVSEs in garages, the NEC might eventually move towards requiring GFCI. Mine is not, was evProject contractor installed and was not required. I haven't went to the electrical supply house to determine the cost of changing the breaker to GFCI.

I have moved several times since getting my LEAF and have left behind an "EV friendly" houses in my wake. One install did require a 240 Volt GFI due to its being outdoors and a 20 amp 240 volt GFI breaker was $125. a regular breaker? $12

+1
When I talked to L&I inspector yesterday, he mentioned the same thing. He said GFI breaker is not required. but if I want to do it, check if GFCI is compatiable with my EVSE.

MikeD said:
abhik: May I ask you what you would do if you had two EVs? Assume also that you have a two car garage that would allow charging both cars. I am interested in how that might change your approach (if at all), as this may become a more common issue before too long.

Mike - Not sure if I will have 2 EV at one point but that might change down the road:) Then I can see putting another new 50A circuit. I might need to bump up house supply from 200A to higher in that case.

Guys,

Where I can find metallic 2-gang box with angled screws?

similar to like this
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ARL-F102&gclid=CKew5LTNtroCFel_Qgod1ncAUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm unable to find in HD or other local stores.

Should I go with PVC one for 50A circuit?

abhik said:
Guys,

similar to like this
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ARL-F102&gclid=CKew5LTNtroCFel_Qgod1ncAUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hmmm, hard to believe they are not very readily available in local hardware stores. Check around like facebook. in your area there will be an electrical contractor supply store. they will have it. as far as PVC. sure why not?

DaveinOlyWA said:
abhik said:
Guys,

similar to like this

hmmm, hard to believe they are not very readily available in local hardware stores. Check around like facebook. in your area there will be an electrical contractor supply store. they will have it. as far as PVC. sure why not?

Got it today from Platt in Bellevue.

TimLee said:
...Their more recent change has been much more widespread requirement for the arc fault breakers on 120V. They are impressive in what they can spot, such as a frayed lamp cord with infrequent partial short that ultimately would result in a fire. But they can be aggravating on installation, because they will also trip on just a slightly bad wire nut connection inside an electrical box. ...
They can be aggravating after installation, too. I cannot use either of my vacuum cleaners plugged into any outlet in my bedrooms because of the arc fault breakers. I guess an electric motor is just too much for them. I finally gave in and changed the breaker for my office. While I guess it's technically a bedroom, it has no door, no closets, and built in cabinetry that is distinctly un-bedroom-like. Since it's all alone on the third floor, the only other way to clean it would have been a long extension cord running down the stairs to the hallway below. I kept the breaker and carefully marked the neutral wire, so I can reinstall it if I ever sell.

Finished the install this weekend. L&I inspector approved for service yesterday.

Comments from L&I inspector "This is a beautiful job I have ever seen. This guy knew what he was doing" :))

Pictures are in ascending order from start to finish.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7cp715b0tecy3o5/QwUz4vO2GJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abhik said:
Finished the install this weekend. L&I inspector approved for service yesterday.

Comments from L&I inspector "This is a beautiful job I have ever seen. This guy knew what he was doing" :))
Beautiful Job :!: :!: :D
Your beautifully redone sheetrock reminds me I need to reinstall sheetrock for the installation I had done 2 1/2 years ago. :oops: :oops:

Back