Paul Scott Drops $32K to Talk Electric Cars with Obama

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
If he wants the president's ear he should just switch to Verizon. Still cost him about the same though for a 2 year contract.
Obama = Bush when it comes to protecting our right to privacy... the trampling continues :evil:

Stoaty said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
If he wants the president's ear he should just switch to Verizon. Still cost him about the same though for a 2 year contract.
Obama = Bush when it comes to protecting our right to privacy... the trampling continues :evil:
you need to realize that regardless of the label they wear or the "team" that they play for that they are not there to serve your best interests

Hi All, I am just now finding this thread. Should have guessed it would be on MNL. But then, I didn't foresee how the Obama thing would all turn out either.

The idea to spend the money for the ear of the President for a few minutes was made with my eyes wide open. I never thought that what I had to say would necessarily result in changed policy, especially since I was mostly supporting Obama's own proposal to up the tax credit to $10K and make it a point of sale rebate. However, I intended to stay focused only on the economic case for EVs and not delve into any of the other big issues.

That said, I was going to spend a couple of sentences on the need to internalize dirty energy's externalities, i.e., the carbon tax that was mentioned.

We spend about $550 billion every year on gasoline and diesel. This is money that can be better used for more productive purposes. I was going to make the point that here I am sitting in a room full of very wealthy people all of whom ponied up the same $32,400, but I was the only person in the room who does his own laundry. How did I get there? For the past 10+ years, I've been running my house and car on sunlight. I haven't given the oil, coal and NG companies any money for over a decade. My rough calculations say I saved about $16,000. Extrapolating a few more years into the future and I'll have saved the other half.

I'd then point out that most everyone who drives with ICE gives away $32,400, they just give it to the oil companies over XX number of years.

The majority of people who buy EVs, at least initially, are progressives. The DNC should have seen this as a huge potential market for donations. I would have pointed out the potential by giving ALL of my savings in one lump sum, but most people could be convinced to donate at least a small portion of their savings to do some good. I also give to Planned Parenthood and animal rescue groups, but it can be anything. Remember, this is money that you used to give to the oil companies. Also, the rest of the savings would be spent mostly on local goods and services generating millions of jobs. This is the basis of the economic argument for EVs.

That resonates with people when I tell it to them.

I was pissed to read the right wing take this and make it into a "pay for play" thing. What hypocrites! Of course it's pay for play. It has been for decades if not centuries. It's as if Michele Malkin or Matt Drudge had never heard of fund raisers being held by Bush or Romney. If you don't like money in politics, then go to Congress and tell them to overturn Citizens United. But don't go whining to your small-brained right wing followers and complain that Obama does exactly what your side does.

And I fault the DNC for being brain dead on the PR value of this thing. When they got the push back from the right, they should have embraced it and said, sure, it's a fund raiser. Anyone who pays $32,400 will be in the room with the President for an hour and be able to tell him anything they like. This is how we raise money for the coming campaigns. Instead, they tucked their tail between their legs and "disinvited" me. In my opinion, this was a missed opportunity.

I haven't received the money back, but they did say they'll return it. I am going to buy two used LEAFs off my lot and give one to my sister and one to my daughter. Both are driving old beater ICE cars, so I'll at least remove a small part of the income stream going to the oil companies.

I just wanted this list to know the where and why of what I did, or at least tried to do. The message got out there pretty well in the end. I'll keep trying as best I can.

PaulScott said:
Hi All, I am just now finding this thread. Should have guessed it would be on MNL. But then, I didn't foresee how the Obama thing would all turn out either.

Thanks for checking in here. I do hope you get that money back. If not, I recommend the sh*t storm of the century, after they told you they would return it.

TonyWilliams said:
PaulScott said:

Thanks for checking in here. I do hope you get that money back. If not, I recommend the sh*t storm of the century, after they told you they would return it.
I sent them a short email this morning inquiring as to when I could expect to get the money back. They really don't want to mess with me on that, or as you say, the **** storm will not be pretty.

PaulScott said:
I just wanted this list to know the where and why of what I did, or at least tried to do. The message got out there pretty well in the end. I'll keep trying as best I can.
Well said and done, Paul. Keep up the good work!

Reddy said:
Here's an idea for Paul:

Eliminate the old $7500 tax credit, and change it to the following:
1) Only good for the first 1 million EVs sold, irrespective of manufacturer
2) $200/kWH battery available to the user for a pure BEV
3) $100/kWH battery available to the user for a PHEV
4) Probably should set an upper bound on the battery size, say 100 kWH, that can receive the credit.

This will incentivize the rapid development and sale of EVs and PHEVs. No manufacturer can sit back and expect the tax credit to be available in 2020. They will actually be competing with each other. All manufacturers will speed up production and will start producing BEVs and PHEVs with larger batteries.

Plus limit one per person, per year,

I still want action on allowing Federal offices etc to be able to install the charging stations requested by direct federal employees.
Not just a perk for federal employees but for the nation. Lead by example I say.

This goes for the military also. If the enlisted are willing to go electric they should get free charging on base.

TomT said:
planet4ever said:
toasty said:
WHAT?? That's the worst idea I've ever heard!! It would totally eliminate any tax credit pass-through for leasing, because NMAC would only get one credit per year.
It would apply to the leaser, not the leasee...
And your point is? NMAC is the leaser. NMAC currently gets a $7,500 tax credit for every LEAF it leases. The change toasty suggested would take all that money away from NMAC. So NMAC would take all that money away from the lessees (i.e., us).

Ray

PaulScott said:
That said, I was going to spend a couple of sentences on the need to internalize dirty energy's externalities, i.e., the carbon tax that was mentioned.
Absolutely, this is the big thing, isn't it. But the way our politics works - difficult to see any bill that can even come to a vote in the senate, let alone the house. Afterall these guys didn't pass anything when they had filibuster proof majority in the senate and comfortable majority in the house. O wanted to get the health bill done - and he got it done. He left the climate bill to Kerry who couldn't get it done.

And I fault the DNC for being brain dead on the PR value of this thing. When they got the push back from the right, they should have embraced it and said, sure, it's a fund raiser. Anyone who pays $32,400 will be in the room with the President for an hour and be able to tell him anything they like. This is how we raise money for the coming campaigns. Instead, they tucked their tail between their legs and "disinvited" me. In my opinion, this was a missed opportunity.
DNC is not known to be brave, for sure. Lack of a backbone among dems is well known.

PaulScott said:

The idea to spend the money for the ear of the President for a few minutes was made with my eyes wide open. I never thought that what I had to say would necessarily result in changed policy, especially since I was mostly supporting Obama's own proposal to up the tax credit to $10K and make it a point of sale rebate. However, I intended to stay focused only on the economic case for EVs and not delve into any of the other big issues.

We spend about $550 billion every year on gasoline and diesel. This is money that can be better used for more productive purposes. I was going to make the point that here I am sitting in a room full of very wealthy people all of whom ponied up the same $32,400, but I was the only person in the room who does his own laundry. How did I get there? For the past 10+ years, I've been running my house and car on sunlight. I haven't given the oil, coal and NG companies any money for over a decade. My rough calculations say I saved about $16,000. Extrapolating a few more years into the future and I'll have saved the other half.

I'd then point out that most everyone who drives with ICE gives away $32,400, they just give it to the oil companies over XX number of years.

The majority of people who buy EVs, at least initially, are progressives. The DNC should have seen this as a huge potential market for donations. I would have pointed out the potential by giving ALL of my savings in one lump sum, but most people could be convinced to donate at least a small portion of their savings to do some good. I also give to Planned Parenthood and animal rescue groups, but it can be anything. Remember, this is money that you used to give to the oil companies. Also, the rest of the savings would be spent mostly on local goods and services generating millions of jobs. This is the basis of the economic argument for EVs.

That resonates with people when I tell it to them.

I was pissed to read the right wing take this and make it into a "pay for play" thing. What hypocrites! Of course it's pay for play. It has been for decades if not centuries. It's as if Michele Malkin or Matt Drudge had never heard of fund raisers being held by Bush or Romney. If you don't like money in politics, then go to Congress and tell them to overturn Citizens United. But don't go whining to your small-brained right wing followers and complain that Obama does exactly what your side does.

I haven't received the money back, but they did say they'll return it. I am going to buy two used LEAFs off my lot and give one to my sister and one to my daughter. Both are driving old beater ICE cars, so I'll at least remove a small part of the income stream going to the oil companies.

yup, this confirms my initial opinion, sir with all due respect they brushed you off because your views are kooky

planet4ever said:
toasty said:
WHAT?? That's the worst idea I've ever heard!! It would totally eliminate any tax credit pass-through for leasing, because NMAC would only get one credit per year.

Ray

not to mention the dozens of 2 LEAF families around the country

apvbguy said:
yup, this confirms my initial opinion, sir with all due respect they brushed you off because your views are kooky
Care to elaborate?

We're talking about the deaths of thousands of Americans every year from the effects of ICE pollution. What is "kooky" about that?

Are you suggesting that oil has nothing to do with annual military spending in the tens of billions every year? How about Iraq? Would we have invaded Iraq if they had the same amount of oil as North Korea?

We spent $2.1 trillion on that freaking war and thousands of good people died horribly.

What the hell is "kooky" about that?

Please tell us.

PaulScott said:
apvbguy said:
Care to elaborate?

We're talking about the deaths of thousands of Americans every year from the effects of ICE pollution. What is "kooky" about that?

Are you suggesting that oil has nothing to do with annual military spending in the tens of billions every year? How about Iraq? Would we have invaded Iraq if they had the same amount of oil as North Korea?

We spent $2.1 trillion on that freaking war and thousands of good people died horribly.

What the hell is "kooky" about that?

Please tell us.

Paul, I am with you. Whether you drive an EV because you care about the financial stability of the country or you are just sick and tired of watching one child after another develop Asthma after age 2 like my Son did, it really does not matter. Its an uphill fight against the immense power, wealth and influence of Big Oil.

Back