Painted Calipers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutoHaulersinc

very easy to do and a nice touch if you have wheels that show your calipers. This tutoria is how to do them the correct was i.e. removing the pads and clips from the caliper.

STEP 1
Jack up vehicle and remove wheels. I did 2 calipers at a time so you can either do front/back or a side at a time. If you have enough jacks or a lift you can do all 4 at once

STEP 2 - Clean caliper. Its easier to clean them when they are still attached. I used a degreaser, but simple green works great and maybe even Brakleen. Cleaning wil allow the paint to adhere better. An optional step would be to Scotchbrite or lightly sand the caliper too.

STEP 3 - Remove Caliper. There are 2 large bolts that hold each caliper to the hub/axle - 17mm. The fronts are reeeaaaaly tight. I had to use a breaker bar to get them off. The are on the backside of the caliper and the only 17mm bolts there so easy to find. The rears came off pretty easily.

STEP 4 - Remove pads and retaining clips - note how they are installed. each pad and the retaining clips that are on the caliper are unique in their position -this will save you time and guesswork during re assembly.

STEP 5 Clean caliper again because you are bound to get some grease/dirt on the caliper when taking out the pads - mask off the brake line and valve. You can easliy put the brake discs off and set them aside. I put plastic over the hub and on the wheel well for overspray

STEP 6 Spray em! - I rested the caliper carefully on the hub and sprayed them with 500 degree engine paint because I wanted a color not available in caliper paint - neon green . I have done many other vehicles with 1200 degree caliper paint but our calipers don't get very hot and the 500 degree has been fine

STEP 7 - alow them to dry, re assemble. I couldn't find the torque specs for the front calipers but I would guess 150 ft lbs or more. You might want to do blue lock tite on them. Torque specs on our wheels is 80 ft lbs. Pump your brakes a few times with the parking brake on to makes sure everything is good to go!

20150621_131359_resized_zpsqdxk0p0r.jpg
[/url][/url]
20150624_152659_resized_zpstpy68kfx.jpg
[/url][/img]
[URL=http://s859.photobucket.com/us...20150624_141755_resized_zpslapwxqrm.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s859.photobucket.com/us...20150624_152659_resized_zpstpy68kfx.jpg[/img][/url]

LeafMuranoDriver said:
AutoHaulersinc and garsh - looking good! I'm not a big fan of the neon green but it's unique and stands out nicely.

yeah it was my kids choice, I have done every other color possible on other vehicles, red, blue, yellow, gold, silver etc....plus it kinda ties in with the "green" vehicle thing....although not the color when people think of being "green"

Back