P1273 software update ruined my car. Your opinion?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has my car been ruined?

• No, the apparent loss you see now is coincidental and normal

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No, your Gidometer was reading incorrectly high before

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Yes, your Gidometer is reading low now because the updated software is limiting charge

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Yes, your Gidometer is reading low now because the new battery control unit is limiting charge

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Yes, the new battery control unit has damaged the pack

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yes, leaving your battery pack sitting fully charged for 4 days has damaged the pack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
mwalsh said:
394v? I would give my soul to see 394v again, never mind 394.5v.
In this colder weather here, I'm routinely seeing 394v. Again, I suspect your pack is out of balance, so charging stops as soon as the top cell comes up and the balancing loads can't keep up with it. This is why charging at a lower rate at the end may help get it into balance faster.

If it was me, I'd be doing a series of 100% charges at 6A 120V. If you don't have the time, then do a charge to 80% on normal 16A 240v, then do the last bit at the lowest possible rate.

-Phil

mwalsh said:
This morning's numbers - charging was 15.75 hours from Turtle on L1. Return was 234/83.2%/393v. Bumped to 239/85%/393v after letting the battery rest for 2 hours. This is only a 1 Gid gain over the previous charging event, so I might now be seeing a diminishing return on the exercise.

394v? I would give my soul to see 394v again, never mind 394.5v.
Only 15.75 hours ? What was the predicted charge time on the dash ? Did you have a chance to measure kWh from the wall ?

LEAFer said:
Only 15.75 hours ? What was the predicted charge time on the dash ? Did you have a chance to measure kWh from the wall ?

Dash said 19 hours. No, I don't have a ready way of measuring kWh from the wall. But being as I'm currently using L1 I should be able to get by with a Kill-A-Watt. Maybe I'll take a trip to the hardware store today.

Ingineer said:
If it was me, I'd be doing a series of 100% charges at 6A 120V. If you don't have the time, then do a charge to 80% on normal 16A 240v, then do the last bit at the lowest possible rate.

-Phil

The lowest possible rate for me is the one offered by L1 from the standard brick. That's all I got.

Today's numbers 234/83.2%/393v. Same as yesterday. No opportunity to bump this morning...getting fully charged from Turtle (actually from shutdown) took all the time I could allow the process.

Charging took 15h58m (19 hours indicated on dash) and Kill-A-Watt reported 22.62kWh taken from the wall. Somebody will have to remind me of the L1's efficiency before I can figure out how much of that got stuffed into the car.

mwalsh said:
Today's numbers 234/83.2%/393v. Same as yesterday. No opportunity to bump this morning...getting fully charged from Turtle (actually from shutdown) took all the time I could allow the process.

Charging took 15h58m (19 hours indicated on dash) and Kill-A-Watt reported 22.62kWh taken from the wall. Somebody will have to remind me of the L1's efficiency before I can figure out how much of that got stuffed into the car.

About 73%, so 16.5kWh, plus about 0.5kWh below turtle, which is 80.9% of 281 Gids.

You still have 12 capacity bars?

mwalsh said:
TonyWilliams said:
About 73%, so 16.5kWh, which is 78.5% of 281 Gids.

Thanks. Yes, I do. That matches very well with my own rough estimation, based on reported efficiency from the dash, which I believe was 16.8kWh.

I edited my post, since I forgot to use the 0.5kWh sitting at the bottom of the battery unused.

mwalsh said:
TonyWilliams said:
I edited my post, since I forgot to use the 0.5kWh sitting at the bottom of the battery unused.

LOL! Yes, I see that. Which I used...I ran the heater until the car shutdown.

You still didn't use the bottom 0.5kWh, since the battery will physically disconnect to prevent "bricking" the battery.

TonyWilliams said:
mwalsh said:

About 73%, so 16.5kWh, plus about 0.5kWh below turtle, which is 80.9% of 281 Gids.

What was the temperature? I guess that even in California it is winter now and temperatures are below 70F. So battery will not charge to full anyway.

Den said:
What was the temperature? I guess that even in California it is winter now and temperatures are below 70F. So battery will not charge to full anyway.

I had to plug in the moment I got home from work, so my battery was at operating temperatures when charging began - it wouldn't have had a chance to be affected by ambient in any significant way.

If this is getting to be monotonous, please let me know. Not that I'll stop posting to the thread, but I will take pains to ask why you're bothering to click in. ;)

So today I tried a little different approach - to 80% on timed L2 and then the balance manually on L1. I actually did want to see what I would get at 80%, so it made some sense. Numbers were as follows:

206/73.3%/387v after the 80% charge
235/83.6/393.5v after getting to 100% using L1
238/84.6/393.5v after letting the car sit for an hour and then trying to push a little more into the pack (would have ideally let it go longer than an hour, but ran into time constraints)

Still moving up. But if you remember yesterday's numbers that's another solitary 1 gid gain. A gain is a gain, I know, but at this rate we're still taking about 2-3 weeks before I'm back to "normal". And that's assuming a) the numbers keep going up and b) the gains are retained when I go back to a normal charging routine. God, what I wouldn't give for a normal charging routine once more...them were the days!

BTW, in case you've noticed that, for the most part, I've stopped doing end-point numbers on the spreadsheet...it's because I'm running the charge down now on the way home via a combination of carefree D driving and generous use of the heater, rather than traveling a greater distance using a conservative driving style.

I haven't seen even 238 in a long time...

mwalsh said:
238/84.6/393.5v after letting the car sit for an hour and then trying to push a little more into the pack (would have ideally let it go longer than an hour, but ran into time constraints)

I think this thread is fascinating. Please keep on with the updates.

I'm sure anyone bored with it would have unsubscribed the thread by now :)

palmermd said:
looks like you had some gains but you are still about 8-10 % short of where you were before the update. What is that? About 5-6 miles of lost range?

Pretty much on the money. I figure I've gained back maybe 4-5 miles of 8-10 I'd lost. But, again, I can only guess at those gains being permanent at this point.

Getting to today...if you look at the spreadsheet, conditions were ripe for an economy run in both directions of my commute yesterday, and I got home with a somewhat respectable 64/22.7%/362v left. But I was punished this morning for not getting home discharged lower than VLBW - no gains at all this morning. In fact, I was down the gid I'd gained yesterday. And my bump (following a 2 hour resting period this time) only got me back to the same place I was at with yesterday's bump. Sigh.

Heard nothing more from Nissan except that the Connell service manager has been gone for some kind of family emergency this week, and should be back in the office today.

Edit: Actually, the moment I got done writing this I got a call from Connell - appointment to have the car checked on Monday with Nissan's corporate guy, Steve Thomas.

Back