Our First EVenture

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowthom

Our First EVenture,
Decided to drive our leaf down to Eugene. My wife had a conference to attend at the River Valley Inn and I set up a meeting with U of O staff. Charged to 100% right before we departed. It’s 90 miles to the Browsville exit from my house, all freeways. I wasn’t willing to risk it so I planned a lunch stop at the Wild Pear in Salem. I drove 58 mph slipstreaming a semi most of the way and averaged 4.4 m/kWh on the dash display (CW reported 5.07). We parked at the Salem convention center (free) and plugged into the blink EVSE on the lower level. I was a little concerned that my blink RFID card would not work because for some reason it had curled into a U shape. Much to my relief it worked although I figured we could have walked the 10 blocks from Walgreens if it did not. The food was great and we picked up 1.5 hours of L2 which added the extra cushion I wanted. Taking the 99E exit and following that to the restaurant and south back out to I5 added no extra miles to the trip. CW = 49.7 miles @ 9.8 kWh.

Picture removed - Photobucket sucks

Drove the second leg much like the first slipstreaming semi’s @ 59 mph the entire way to Brownsville. CW = 38.5 miles & 7.7 kWh. My dash average read 4.5 m/kWh but CW reports 5.0 m/kWh. The AV DC-QC was easy to find and operate which was good cuz’ it was our first fast charge experience (actually Lynn did the honors). Leaf was showing 9 bars when I stopped it because it had gained 1 bar of battery temp (now showing 6). That was plenty to get the rest of the way to Eugene. As always when I charge out in public, passer by folks just have to ask about the car / charging / range / cost. I am happy to promote EV’s whenever asked.

Drove the last leg slipstreaming again @ 59 mph, 26 miles @ 5.1 kWh. This left plenty of range for my gallivanting around Eugene the next day. We had a nice dinner at the Inn and got back to our room just in time for Grimm.

After partaking of the best continental breakfast layout we have seen in a long time Lynn headed off to her conference and I made calls to U of O. I check on the car when I left for my meeting and the battery had cooled to 5 bars. I looked around for a place to plug in if need be but the only AC I can find is right at the entrance. Eugene is sure a pretty town and the campus is gorgeous. It would have been nice if the guy I was meeting would have shown up. That's musicians for ya, a group I am also a member of. With time to kill now I drove up to the AV DC-QC at the Springfield exit and charged to 10 bars. Picked up that 6th battery temp bar again. I drove to Fred Meyer to get some lunch and charged to 11 bars while I was there. I ended up going back to the Inn and reading in the lobby until Lynn got out at 4:00.

As soon as Lynn walked out we jumped in the Leaf and started home. First leg 25.8 miles @ 6 kWh cuz’ we used just a tad of CC to cool the car and I didn’t get behind any semi’s. Once again to the AV DC-QC at Brownsville and this time we charged to 100%, which took 40 minutes from 59% (7 bars). The last bit takes just as long as L2. I could see the input was less than 1W / second. Still at 6 battery temp bars.

On this the longest leg I do all slipstreaming. I got behind a semi doing 60 mph and stayed there all the way to Willsonville. I knew we’d need that 10 mile boost again to get home so we stopped at Fred Meyer to pick up supplies for our mothers day picnic on Sunday. One Blink EVSE would not work but the other one did. We sort of hung out a while and ran into an old friend and her husband. Although I hadn’t seen them for many years we still exchange X-mas cards so that was serendipity. CW = 66.2 miles @ 12.5 kWh. I was trying to maintain a 4.4 m/kWh average on the dash (CW of course reports 5.3 m/kWh).

Checked on the car via my iPhone and after an hour it had only gained 2 miles of range. I went out and turned it on and the dash showed a gain of 10. That’s the second time the iPhone app reported something different than what the dash showed. With 32 miles on the GOM / prognosticator and 4 batt bars, we headed for the barn. I slipstreamed as much as I could on I5 and 205 and made it home with a LBW at 1 bar and 3 miles on the GOM. CW = 22 miles @ 4.7 kWh. When I turned it back on to move it to the charger the GOM showed “---.”

Charging to 80% that evening took 16.791 kWh
80% to 100% takes ~ 4.9 kWh netting battery capacity of 21.591 kWh to LBW.
Charging on the AV DC-QC the readout showed 26% to 87% took 13.382 = batt cap of 21.94 kWh.
AV DC-QC readout the second time showed 58% to 100% took 9.579 kWh. = battery cap of 22.807 kWh.
Total trip stats via CW:
Friday = 114.3 miles @ 22.6 kWh
Saturday = 135.0 miles @ 28.6 kWh

My records show 58.217 wall to wheels. So that’s 87.9% charger efficiency for the trip.

P.S.
The next morning the battery temp was still at 6 bars and it was 50* during the night.

I sure wish Nissan would get it together on this battery / range / GOM. CW showed 66.2 miles @ 12.5 kWh consumed but I was down to 2 bars and 18 miles GOM. Since I started at 100% and only used 12.5 kWH it would suggest there are 8.5 more kWh available but that is just not the case. Even after charging at Fred Meyer for an hour 32 miles of GOM disappeared in just 22 miles (maintaining 5.0 ave.) and CW reported 4.7 kWH used. I clearly could not have gone much further.

Wow that's quite the trip. I wish we had QCs available all over the place but unfortunately that's not the case. FWIW, my battery temp meter shows 6 bars on days when its over 90 outside, so I wouldn't worry until it hits 7 ;)

Hello,
90 miles is stretching it on a full charge at freeway speeds. You never know what the conditions might be. Had I not been slipstreaming it would have been cutting it too close. As I headed south the EVSE's were few and far. Going north there are lots of L2 EVSE's, as you approach Portland, for emergencies. I had never had my Leaf to LBW before so I had no idea how much reserve there was. As it was I arrived at Brownsville with one bar and 13 miles on the GOM. When I got to Willsonville on the return trip it showed 2 bars and 18 miles. I charged 1 hour adding 3.3 kWh to the battery but hit LBW 20 miles later after a reported 4.7 kWh.

You can see my point, I cannot count on how much range the GOM says and because of battery conditional changes I have to figure in enough "cushion kWh". As much as Lynn enjoyed the trip, that would have changed dramatically if we got stranded on I5 and had to call roadside assistance.

P.S. The trip going south was 117 miles. The first & second leg added up to 90.3 miles where the first DC-QC was located. So technically, beginning with a full charge and 1.5 hours L2 was what I needed for a 90 mile trip, L2 being the cushion.

Kind of funny seeing you stress a bit over your battery being at 6 bars. Here near Dallas, TX, mine is ALWAYS at 6 bars. I haven't noticed it ever be at 5 since I bought it in March (I'm sure there have been some cool mornings where it was). If 6 bars is bad, I'm in trouble.

Hi,
It's just that I knew I'd be fast charging again and I didn't want to end up like Alan who gained a temp bar at every stop and ended all the way at the top of the "safe zone." I spend all winter at 4 bars only reaching 5 in the summer. I guess it's just what you are used to until it changes. Besides, was I really "stressed?" :lol:

Herm, just close enough to feel and see the difference. People pull into the slot between us but it doesn't change the dash kWh meter. I'd say maybe 5 white lane lines.

Cool.

Fortunately, you encountered working/available QCs or L2 EVSEs where you stopped. It would've sucked to arrive at some place and find the QC not working, then be scrambling to find a place to charge much slower/at all.

Since folks have complained about how thin the paint is on the Leaf, does your front bumper and hood look like hell now from the "slipstreaming" or do you have a clear bra?

I did 4 QCs in one day and it got up to 9 bars so yes, almost one per QC. I have a lease so I am not at all worried about it plus it was a one time experiment.

Hello,
No bra on my leaf. It already has a couple of road dings on the hood just from driving around town. I didn't hear anything *POING* off the car on this trip but I try to pick the rig less likely to be flinging stuff when I'm slipstreaming.

Of all the visited EVSE's only one was not working. So let's see, 3 of them were blinks and one didn't work........ that's a 66% success rate for them. Pretty much what that survey that Tom Saxton did on EVSE networks revealed.

cwerdna, I liken it to riding my motorcycle to some remote town somewhere only to find the gas station closed on Sunday. :eek:

^^^
Thanks. I ask about the chips because as I posted at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/60394-prius-paint-quality-rock-chips-2.html#post828082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
The worst car I've had in terms of getting rock chips easily was my former silver (Sterling Mist) 02 Nissan Maxima. I got 9 chips on the front of the hood within the 1st few months (by around ~3K miles) so I had to get a clear bra applied to it. Its hood wasn't aluminum.
My 350Z didn't seem bad in terms of chips but it was a different color (Daytona Blue) and had an aluminum hood. Maybe that color, hood and aerodynamics made a difference.

bowthom, if you constantly see differences between "dash" miles/kWh and what CARWINGS records, check to see if you are running the latest telematics firmware. The original buggy code significantly under-reported the vehicle's kWh consumption.

This was fixed in NTB-11-041, the telematics communiction fix from last year... but it's not mandatory and isn't included with this year's NTB12-014 "voluntary recall". Newer builds, of course, never had the bug.

Grommet,
AFAIK, my leaf has had all the updates. I have taken it in for 2 software updates plus the charger was replaced in June 2011 and everything updated & verified again. So unless I'm missing something................... ;))

On Edit: Service campaigns done
NTB11-038 (April 29, 2011)
NTB12-014 (Feb 17, 2012)

This is beginning to feel like PC update order history. If I take it in for the NTB11-041 will the NTB12-014 have to be redone?

No, NTB12-014 doesn't need to be redone. (It did include one update that is also part of NTB-11-041, but not the one that fixes the "undocumented" kWh CARWINGS bug. They won't need to re-do that part, since it's already done.)

Nissan screwed up a bit here. (For anyone that cares, the comparisons/ranking to other LEAFs on CARWINGS is a bit hosed up now, since "early" unfixed cars under-report energy consumption.)

See this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Your telematics Boot Ware & Application should be at 147 (or higher) to avoid the bug.

Grommet,
I checked the service bulletins:
NTB11-038 is the AC induced fault that prevented people from being able to drive the car.
NTB11-041 is the carwings not communicating / loss of signal.

I called my dealer and they said that NTB11-041 was only for cars exhibiting loss of carwings communication which my car did not qualify for.
Here is my version info: ( RED indicates different than listed on the other thread you linked)
(BLUE = only thing changed since NTB11-038)

Boot Ware (NK1):064
Application (NK2):064
Audio Unit Software:067
CAN uCOM Software:018
Front Display Software:030
BOLERO Software:00.05
Bluetooth Firmware:C230
Voice Recognition Engine:925-123-000
Voice Synthesis Engine:5.0.0.3-PS-P2
Voice Recognition Grammar Version:00001080
Voice Synthesis Data Version:00003000
Record Data Version:00001026
Part Number:3NA0A
XM Satellite Radio Software:012
Switch Software:030000
TCU Software:3NA0000627 3NA0000622
Map Version:10/08/12/01

Your Boot Ware and Application (064) is quite old and you will see the reporting bug.

This specific fix is undocumented... heck, the issue is pretty much undocumented. Insist that they apply NTB11-041. I spent a lot of time chasing down this stupid bug and bothering Nissan & CARWINGS support.

The simple fact is that cars with Boot Ware & Application of 147 (or above) do not have this problem and the only way to "upgrade" this currently is via last year's telematics communication fix.

Cheers,

--Ron

Hello,
Thought I would post my May usage data here too just as support for the EVenture story. "Other charging value" is my estimate of free public charging I used.

Hello Leafers,
I had the NTB 11-041 carwings update done. Jury is still out, the tech had problems with codes being set after the update. Of course, they didn't tell me which codes. :evil: Carwings is still skipping emails and There is no data for the day of the upgrade which I assume is because it blew it all to bit heaven during the reset.

Question: There was a setting for when carwings updates data (every "on" cycle or once a day IIRC) and I cannot find it in the settings.
Was this setting eliminated on later Leafs and/or when I upgraded?

Thanks,
Don

Back