OT: Make Cell Phone unlocking legal again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

Please enter your signature!

The Librarian of Congress decided in October 2012 that unlocking of cell phones would be removed from the exceptions to the DMCA. (Digital Millennium Copyright Act)

As of January 26, consumers are no longer able to legally unlock their phones for use on a different network without carrier permission, even after their contract has expired.

Consumers will be now forced to pay exorbitant roaming fees to make calls while traveling abroad. It reduces consumer choice, and decreases the resale value of devices that consumers have paid for in full.

This petition requests that the White House ask the Librarian of Congress to rescind this decision, and failing that, champion a bill that makes unlocking permanently legal.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-phones-legal/1g9KhZG7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Phil

Also, if you can, pass this link on any way you can. As of now, we need another 40,000 signatures by the 23rd (16 days!), and so far we've got about only 60,000.

I send it off on my Facebook, but I'll do so again soon!

-Phil

Done!

Ingineer said:
Also, if you can, pass this link on any way you can. As of now, we need another 40,000 signatures by the 23rd (16 days!), and so far we've got about only 60,000.

I send it off on my Facebook, but I'll do so again soon!

-Phil

I don't suppose anyone has noticed that it's still perfectly legal to obtain an unlocked cell phone? All you need to do is buy the phone separately, and not part of a service contract.

That said, though, the removal of the exemption (and the DMCA in its entirety) is still bullsh*t...
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
I don't suppose anyone has noticed that it's still perfectly legal to obtain an unlocked cell phone? All you need to do is buy the phone separately, and not part of a service contract.

That said, though, the removal of the exemption (and the DMCA in its entirety) is still bullsh*t...
=Smidge=

Exactly. The guy at work who sells me his old phone once he's eligible to get a new one...so now I'm not allowed to do what I will with it once it becomes MY property? I'm not bound by any provider contract. Complete bullsh*t!

Just got my Google Nexus 4 in. Comes unlocked, no contract needed. No "unlocking" needed. If you want options don't sign a contract for a discounted phone...

I don't think most people would consider paying full unsubsidized retail for a phone an acceptable compromise... Think $800 for an iPhone, for example...

harryjpowell said:
Just got my Google Nexus 4 in. Comes unlocked, no contract needed. No "unlocking" needed. If you want options don't sign a contract for a discounted phone...

It would be awesome if the FCC (or someone) separated the equipment from the plan. We buy our own phones (always unlocked) and remove the subsidy, which would reduce our monthly payments.

Still, we should always have the option to reverse-engineer or do whatever we want with the products we own.

-Phil

mwalsh said:
The guy at work who sells me his old phone once he's eligible to get a new one...so now I'm not allowed to do what I will with it once it becomes MY property? I'm not bound by any provider contract. Complete bullsh*t!
I think ATT, which offers the phones you probably want to unlock, will unlock your phone once you're out of contract. This was part of the reasoning why the Copyright Office concluded the exemption was no longer required. Also note that you can unlock "legacy phones" or for that matter phones acquired before or ninety days after the rule was published.

You might want to read the reasoning. The discussion starts at page 16 and ends at page 20: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree with the Copyright Office that carriers should be able to lock lock your phone while you're under contract. They need to recover the costs of subsidizing your phone. But once you're out of contract then you should be able to unlock your phone and go to any compatible carrier.

Also note this doesn't affect the legality of jailbreaking your phone.

Personally, I think the subsidy model should be done away with. The phone should be separate from the service, and it shouldn't be "bundled". You buy and own your own phones, then pay a much more reduced plan payment each month (because you aren't paying for the phone). I'm sure people that want to buy expensive phones on credit still will be able to, but it should be optional, not required!

-Phil

Back