OpenEVSE: enclosures from Diversified Stage?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulito99

Has anyone ordered enclosures from Diversified Stage recently?

I placed an online order a couple weeks ago for an internal enclosure;
they billed my credit card a couple days later but I haven't gotten any information other than an email indicating this is in process.

I've emailed sales & Kevin, no response; I've tried calling the number on their website, and had a brief conversation from someone saying they would look into it; but otherwise, no other information about my order.

I tried "friend"ing the company in Facebook, and following them on Twitter, to see if I can get some line of communication going.

If anyone can provide more info on how to get a hold of these guys, it would be appreciated.

paulito99 said:
I've tried calling the number on their website, and had a brief conversation from someone saying they would look into it; but otherwise, no other information about my order.

It seems like you already have a successful method of contact. Have you simply tried to call them again? I'd stay on the phone until I got a firm commitment in the form of a payment credit or a shipment tracking number.

Its likely the housing sells out and then goes out of stock. Currently they only show the outdoor housing available.

I am sure that eventually your order will be filled. I get the impression that this is a tiny company. I think that they want to do right but it may take a while.

GlennD, I agree they're probably a tiny company; I wouldn't have ordered the unit if the website hadn't shown one unit in-stock at the time.

However, regardless of how small the company is, I think they should respond in a timely manner. I've sent several emails and called numerous times (unfortunately their number isn't taking messages!); I've even tried their Facebook page. Not a good sign when a company won't respond but takes your money....

paulito99 said:
GlennD, I agree they're probably a tiny company; I wouldn't have ordered the unit if the website hadn't shown one unit in-stock at the time.

However, regardless of how small the company is, I think they should respond in a timely manner. I've sent several emails and called numerous times (unfortunately their number isn't taking messages!); I've even tried their Facebook page. Not a good sign when a company won't respond but takes your money....

I am working with Diversified Stage to stock their Enclosures in the OpenEVSE web store. This will provide a better overall experience as you will be able to get all your parts (except the J1772 cable) from one place.

As for the J1772 cable, I can't source a quality UL listed cable for equal or less cost than Leviton. Their cable is $175 with free shipping. When it is possible I will add it to the store as well.

I am not having much luck with Diversified Stage so I am going to have to come up with my own enclosure.

I got the quote for a modified enclosure directly from the mfg, I am thinking I can get the modifications done localy for a lot less. Maybe an investment in a used tabletop CNC mill?... Please let me know what you think.

The Base enclosure is the Hubble 1590WEF I can but qty 25 from Mouser for about $24 each. This enclosure is about as long as the Diversified Stage unit but not as wide or tall. Internal dimentions are about 4 x 7 x 3. This should be a really good size, not too tight but not a lot of wasted space either.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=PBDs2xEllI9kOWkjIMH9kQ%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Data sheet
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/177/1590EF-68949.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The modifications are:
LCD cutout in lid
4 - Studs for LCD mounting
1 - Hole drilled for button

2 - holes drilled in main body for cable glands
4 - threaded standoffs for mounting plate (mounting plate not avaliable directly or included in quote)

Light grey powder paint (standard color)
Black silk screen (standard color)

cost
$78 each for 25
$60 each for 100
plus one time setup fee of $300 for silk and programming

The enclosure is $24, seems like a lot extra for a cutout, a few holes, standoffs and paint...

Being a total cheapskate, I would never spend $100 on an indoor housing.

You can sometimes find surveillance camera supplies at the swap meet for 10-20 dollars. After gutting them, they work well.

I would pay $25 for a blank cabinet that I had to modify.

There is no question a milled opening looks great but an LCD bezel hides all.

I agree. I think the quoted price is way too high.

I am looking into options to have local machine work done. Or maybe I can find a used tabletop mill somewhere for a good price.

The point of OpenEVSE is to bring the cost down to a reasonable level, I would like to get the predrilled/milled/painted enclosure down to ~ $50. The DS enclosures saved a ton of build time and sold quite well at ~$60 indoor and ~$90 outdoor. I hope I can do better.

Silk screening and a professional look is easily worth an other $25. Lets face it, a brother tape label while functional is knot a screened label!

Bump.

Looking for a nice, professional looking enclosure. Diversified Stage hasn't had theirs in stock for a while now. I doubt it's coming back.

Back