Only charging to 79% and 99%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpence73

I charge my 2013 Leaf SV to 80% Sunday - Thursday and 100% Friday - Saturday. Last week I noticed my "full charge" range, which normally would be about 95 miles without A/C, only reported 87 miles. I know the last 5 miles determines the "range", which really isn't a real range so we can move past the "range isn't really real" part of the conversation :) . Since I got the car 3 months ago, the a full charge has been consistently 92-105 miles and 80% charge was 75-85 miles. Thinking it weird in the drop, I checked the charge percentage and it was at 99%. The same thing happened the next day. The car reports charging complete so it isn't still charging. I checked my text notifications and the car had finished 5 hours before I even got in it. Then on Monday when I went to work (an 80% day) and it reported charging to 79%. The same thing happened today. This only started about a week ago. The car only has 3700 miles on it (new in March). At first I thought that it was already starting show battery age, but why would it only charge to 79% on a 80%? I mean the 99% I can understand on an older battery. It seems it will now only charge to 1% of the full charge for both 80% and 100%. I still have full bars on battery life and I wasn't expecting to see a dip in battery performance for at least a year.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what is going on? I am overriding the timer tonight and want to see if it will go to 100% or not.

We have a 2013 S and it does the same thing. It hasn't affected range as far as we can tell. I think it has something to do with the cells balancing and/or the fact that the Leaf's calculations of battery soc is not perfect.

I don't think turning the timer off will change anything. One odd thing about our Leaf is that if we turn the climate control timer on it charges to more than 80% (86% and 87% or so in our experience) even if we have chosen the 80% option.

After 2 1/2 years, my 100% charge comes in at about 83.5%...

We all get older, one bit at a time, even EV batteries... :)

Randy said:
After 2 1/2 years, my 100% charge comes in at about 83.5%...
You're talking GIDs mapped to percentage as displayed by an add-on unit. Whole 'nother subject. kpence73 is talking about the SOC meter built into the 2013. So far as we know, the SOC meter in the 2013 gives current charge level as a percentage of the battery's current maximum allowable charge. That number shouldn't change as the battery wears out, at least it shouldn't change more than the tolerance of the measurements. But 100% vs. 99% -- yes that is within the measurement tolerance.

Ray

Funny thing is today, it says 100% and my range with no a/c was 93...back to what I would expect based on how I drove home yesterday (last 5 miles).

Hi! I got my Leaf at the end of July. Not even 2 full months later mine is doing the same. Only a 79% charge when I set it to 80 and 98 or 99% when I don't. I can understand the 99% but clearly it hit's 80 on the way up to 100 so why does it stop at 79%? I'm not sure I understand. Is it losing gids already?

Cooperman411 said:
Hi! I got my Leaf at the end of July. Not even 2 full months later mine is doing the same. Only a 79% charge when I set it to 80 and 98 or 99% when I don't. I can understand the 99% but clearly it hit's 80 on the way up to 100 so why does it stop at 79%? I'm not sure I understand. Is it losing gids already?

I'm thinking (as are others here) that it hits 80%, the charger shuts down, and then it equalizes, bringing the SOC down 1%. Mine does it too. This may be related to another oft-reported phenomenon: that first 1% will often vanish within tenths of a mile, or even yards, after we start driving. So we may be talking more about the loss of a modest fraction of 1%, instead of a full 1%. Maybe the Guess 'O Meter just assumes that all 1% increments are equal, and drops the estimate even if you lose much less than that 1%...

We are mixing a number of measurements as if they are all equal, plus all these values have tolerances. The battery capacity meter was admittedly allowed to be subject to +10%/-10% before the current firmware, which now is specified to be +/- 0-4%. Measurements like the "Gid" are subject to "Open Circuit Voltage" adjustments. Full charges and discharges are subject to maximum and minimum cell-pair voltages (about 2.9 min, 4.15 max).

SOC% is a bit of a floating number, since we never really get to 100%, yet the dash value has been manipulated to read 100% +/- when full, yet this doesn't reflect actual stored energy in the battery like Gids does. That stored energy can vary due to battery degradation, temperature of the cell, internal battery resistance, etc.

Somewhere in the depths of Nissan data is a value we have been calling "health" that we don't even know exactly what data this value is dependent on. Ah * nominal voltage to determine kWh in the battery never lined up with the Gid count (which is likely why there is a Gid measurement).

My point is that there is a LOT going on to try and give you, the end user, a seamless experience, and clearly Nissan hasn't gotten them all perfect. The GOM value is probably the least perfect of the bunch.

Please pay no attention to the GOM. It is basically useless for any meaningful comparison!

kpence73 said:
Funny thing is today, it says 100% and my range with no a/c was 93...back to what I would expect based on how I drove home yesterday (last 5 miles).

Back