On the fence... questions for current owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bbrowncods said:
1. If you could do it again, would you still buy, why or why not?
Yes. I bought and capitalized on 0% financing and rebate for using NMAC, tax rebate, and "below invoice sale". Even with those benefits I have seen gems where someone bought a new Leaf and turned it back in, backing out on the sale. Used is definitely better. As any used car you will need to weigh the age, mileage, and cost.

2. Overall Best about the vehicle.
One of the things that I had not expected was the joy of not buying gas. It is one of those things in life that you just get used to doing, and it is really kind of liberating to not have to stop your trip and seeing money going into the tank. My "energy" costs per mile is almost free (1 cent a mile). At 2 years old and 27K miles the 2014 Leaf has cost $0 maintenance, $250/month in fuel savings (includes not driving vehicle #2), a $50-75 decrease in electric bill by capitalizing on residential EV rates. These savings almost cover my payment. The car itself is really a great automobile.

Question....You ever notice the oily smell on an ICE car at start up now?

3. Biggest complaint about the vehicle?
If I had to pick a single annoyance it would be the NAV is not really friendly to use. That may have changed since 2014.

4. If you don't drive much normally 20 - 30 miles daily.. could you survive with just L1 charger?
Yes you can survive. I drive 25miles total commute. A L2 really allows you do additional, and opens up the range. It allows us to use the Leaf instead of car #2 (another benefit of saving gas).

Now two months into ownership of a new 2016 SV. Overall I am happy I purchased.

Yes, I'd still buy. While I have a reservation for a Tesla Model 3, the EVs available for purchase or lease today are the same as they were in May. The coming wave of 150-200 mi EVs are still vaporware at this point, let alone the bugs often plaguing first-year models.

Excellent utility-for-dollar ratio, vs. the next level up being about $10K more (i.e. BMW i3, MB B250 ED) plus sales tax. Zen-like driving experience coupled with instant EV torque off the line when you want a little zip in your driving.

3. Biggest complaint about the vehicle.
Needs a refresh - many little details and features now seem a bit dated and/or missing refinement. Some would say lack of battery active cooling. Nissan may be right, or wrong, to pursue batteries that don't need the complexity / expense of active cooling in the first place.

4. If you don't drive much normally 20 - 30 miles daily.. could you survive with just L1 charger?
Yes, I could, and did. However, having an L2 EVSE permanently mounted is far more convenient and opens up opportunity charging at home. 60-90 minutes on L2 charge gives you significant added range. As well, you can then keep the provided L1 cable stowed in the car for emergency use, as intended.

5. I've heard of chargers not operating anymore / vandalized, etc.. is this a problem for you?
While I have heard of this problem, it has not directly affect me. I suggest scoping out your local charge stations listed on PlugShare and see for yourself.

My advice: see if you can rent a LEAF (call your local dealers), or take a BMW i3 for an extended test drive (I did both). Spoiler warning: you will find it very disappointing to turn in the EV and get back into your gas car.

LEAF depreciation is not what it seems on the surface. Very few drivers ultimately pay MSRP for a LEAF. Figure a $7500 Federal Tax Credit (if your tax liability supports it, otherwise consider leasing and let NMAC pass the credit on to you as capital cost reduction), local tax incentives, dealer discounts, and finance incentives. My 2016 SV w/Premium Package will net out to about $20K all said and done, compare to local prices for, say a 2013 at $12-15k plus 9% local sales tax. The market will be different in 12-18 months.

coach81 said:
My Ford Fusion Hybrid of 4 years has been acting up.. thinking about the leaf... again... questions for current owners:

3. Biggest complaint about the vehicle?

5. I've heard of Chargers not operating anymore / vandalized, etc.. is this a problem for you?

Thanks in advance,
Coach
1 would have leased in 2011
2 loved the way it drove
3 range was misrepresented by Nissan along with battery longevity.
4 I drove the first five months on L1 averaging 50 mpd
5 never

8-25-16
Update:

My Fusion Hybrid has been at the dealership for another week.. warranty about to go out...

The way I see sales going on this forum and current offers for the '16 Leaf... I think I can get a new one for next to nothing for my current '13 FFH.

Thinking really hard about it...

Have you looked at the charging stations in your area? are they damaged? I was told by salesman that the L1 cords get stolen, are able to be bought on ebay and more. I wish I could buy one for cheap on e bay. I have never seen one stolen on this forum. I have seen damaged public chargers in red neck areas. I have found connectors ran over, and cords cut. For the most part it is not a big problem. I have driven 60 k miles in 2 years with few problems charging. hope this helps.

speedski97 said:
Have you looked at the charging stations in your area? are they damaged? I was told by salesman that the L1 cords get stolen, are able to be bought on ebay and more. I wish I could buy one for cheap on e bay. I have never seen one stolen on this forum. I have seen damaged public chargers in red neck areas. I have found connectors ran over, and cords cut. For the most part it is not a big problem. I have driven 60 k miles in 2 years with few problems charging. hope this helps.

My problem here in South La is that they are very few and the few we have are at dealerships that either say they don't have them, or don't allow you to use them. So I would mainly be charging from home.

Back