OMG Hybrid cars are a death trap!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21820602/popular-hybrid-cars-pose-danger-for-first-responders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This story ran on our local station today but couldn't find it on their site... here it is on a Chattanooga station site.
Potential death trap! It could cost you your life! The potential to kill you instantly is right there!
(women and children hardest hit)

Funny the lead in ad on the video when I watched was a Toyota commercial.

My mother-in-law sent me a message about this report (our local NBC News covered it, too). The battery of an EV or hybrid does store a descent amount of electric, which poses a certain risk, I imagine. I couldn't find any examples of someone being electrocuted, but hey. And of course, we would all be much safer driving around with large tanks of gasoline under our seats. No potential danger there.

I found this on Car Talk's website: "I've heard that hybrid vehicles involved in a crash pose a danger to emergency personnel, because those workers might get electrocuted by cutting through a high-voltage cable. I'd hate to live with the guilt of zapping my neighborhood volunteer EMTs!

The automakers have addressed this concern by painting the high-voltage lines a bright orange color and encasing the lines in metal housings beneath the passenger compartment, where they're well out of the way. In addition, they've put their rescue procedures online, and offered training courses to emergency responders. In fact, the California Air Resources Board has found that these "vehicles pose no additional risks over a conventional vehicle," and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is not aware of any deaths of EMT personnel - and there's about a million hybrid vehicles on the road. We do worry, however, about those folks who aren't trained, such as tow truck drivers and Good Samaritans."

If you go to the Nissan owners site and look up the documents available on your car you'll find it includes a First Responder's Guide that addresses exactly this - the Guide includes a quick reference chart. This is available to Emergency crews - and I'd be surprised if these general procedures weren't part of their standard training given that hybrids have been around for 14 years.

Nevertheless, now that this report is in the internet ether it will never go away - people will be repeating it years from now as gospel.

Considering the boots, gloves and other equipment I bet they could cut right through the 400v wire with little more than a spark.
There must be someone willing to put this on youtube ;)
Sounds like a job for mythbusters :)

So many people don't think clearly. sigh... They just don't think about odds and probability. What are the odds that ripping a car door off with the jaws of life is going to result in a high power cable being severed? I would guess somewhere between zero and none.

When I was in third grade I had a friend and his father told us that he would never wear a seatbelt because "What if I got into a crash and the car caught on fire and the seatbelt jammed!!"

I was always taught to respect my elders so I said nothing but I was thinking "Yeah, what are the odds of that happening verses you being killed because you didn't wear a seatbelt?"

Sigh... we on Priuschat hear this FUD from time to time and it's ridiculous the # of non-hybrid owners (usually anti-hybrid folks) who believe this garbage. I've had arguments w/other idiots on other car forums about this before.

You have to ask these guys people w/this misinformation, given that more 1.5 million Toyota hybrids sold in the US (passed that mark last year per http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+four+million+global+sales+hybrids.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) since they became available in late 2000 here, Toyota dominating hybrid sales (http://www.hybridcars.com/december-2012-dashboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), the Prius family being the top selling car/family in CA last year (the country's largest auto market): how many first responders have died from this? How many car accident victims have died because of some first responder's fear or reluctance? Can they point us to such stories?

Quite a few years ago (maybe more than 10), in the early days of the Prius, and the anti-hybrid FUD that people were spreading about it, there was a quite (unintentionally) comical warning news article about hybrids, posted in (I think) a Kansas newspaper. I have long since lost the article. It had a title about the fact that many first responders were now refusing to rescue people from hybrid accidents, do to the large number of first responders who had died of electrocution, doing so.

It brought up the fact that the hybrid high-voltage power lines ran right through the doors, so jaws of life could sever them. I wonder how you open the does if the wires run right through them? Also, of course, the total number of electrocutions was exactly zero (and, I assume, still is).

If the situation had been real, of course, the headline should have been about EMTs violating their contracts and putting lives at risk for a situation which was completely bogus. AS far as I could tell, there was not one correct statement in the entire news article.I always wondered who sat around making up this stuff.

Luft said:
When I was in third grade I had a friend and his father told us that he would never wear a seatbelt because "What if I got into a crash and the car caught on fire and the seatbelt jammed!!"
I recall some friends of my parents from long ago, when seat belts were still relatively new, saying they would never wear them because without them, in an accident they would be "thrown clear".

To this day, the physics that in a collision would cause the human body to suddenly straighten itself out, make a sudden left turn (and simultaneous right turn for the passenger) and be shot out the windows (which magically roll down instantly) like a human cannon, combined with the statistical improbability that this event would occur adjacent to a pile of mattresses, still eludes me.

It's like Jerry Seinfeld describing the magic loogie.

@ Luft ...they don't use jaws of life on the door (usually) but rather on the frame posts. The real danger isn't really the high voltage which runs generally through the bottom of the vehicle but rather in the explosive bolts associated with the airbags. The 'side curtain' airbag explosive bolts are more of a hazard to first responders than the high voltage of a hybrid.

To that end all first responders are (or should be) trained in vehicle extraction. A friend of mine is a fire captain. They even have a guy who puts all the airbag, high voltage, etc danger data on the web for easy smart phone access instead of hauling around a library for all the different make and model of cars that have all sorts of different parts in different places.

The article is pure FUD and deserves to be used for fertilizer.

When I see articles such as this I just think of the amount of industries affected from the well head to the gas pump and everything in between and then resign myself that these people will not go down without a fight. They have no concern for the benefits of EVs and PHEVs.

ERG4ALL said:
When I see articles such as this I just think of the amount of industries affected from the well head to the gas pump and everything in between and then resign myself that these people will not go down without a fight. They have no concern for the benefits of EVs and PHEVs.
Or their customers.

Back