Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tbleakne said:
So is the RAV4 EV motor efficiency really lower under low-torque level driving conditions, far below the maximum torque the motor can deliver in a Model-S ? Perhaps a smaller motor would do better, but it was much cheaper to re-use the Model-S design of motor and inverter for both cars.

It's 20-25% less economy than LEAF, and that isn't all weight and aerodynamics. I don't mind spending an extra $10 per month in electricity for the luxury of 100 miles of range.

TonyWilliams said:
8E22EFFF-2472-42BC-B1AD-C9D777A95F42-2559-00000180D8CD0C34.jpg

I can't help thinking there should be a printer attached to those Cyan, Magenta & Yellow ink reservoirs ;)

waidy said:
The colors represent different voltage. I think orange is the highest, then yellow, then black.
Are you talking about the reservoirs in the back of the pic the look like they're for inkjet printers?

If so, I'm pretty sure those are for brake fluid and two separate coolant loops. I think Tesla's got their own coolant that's different than what Toyota wanted for some other parts.

If you download the high res under the hood pic at http://toyotanewsroom.com/album_display.cfm?section_id=560&start_row=1&album_id=756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, you can barely make out the words coolant on the pink and blue reservoirs. There's a warning about not mixing coolants. One is SLLC (super long life coolant?) and the other is G48, which I presume is Tesla's.

(I had looked under the hood of the car at Alt Car Expo in Santa Monica.)

TonyWilliams said:
tbleakne said:
So is the RAV4 EV motor efficiency really lower under low-torque level driving conditions, far below the maximum torque the motor can deliver in a Model-S ? Perhaps a smaller motor would do better, but it was much cheaper to re-use the Model-S design of motor and inverter for both cars.
It's 20-25% less economy than LEAF, and that isn't all weight and aerodynamics. I don't mind spending an extra $10 per month in electricity for the luxury of 100 miles of range.
LEAF curb weight: 3354 lbs
RAV4-EV curb weight: 4032 lbs (+20%)

LEAF Cd: 0.28
RAV4-EV Cd: 0.30

LEAF Height: 61"
RAV4-EV Height: 66.3"
LEAF Width: 69.7"
RAV4-EV Width: 71.5"

LEAF CdA (appx): 1190
RAV4-EV CdA (appx): 1422 (+20%)

Seems to me that some quick back-of-the-envelope calculations show that the RAV4-EV should be right around 20% less efficient than the LEAF. At the very least it weighs 20% more and has 20% more aero drag. The EPA rates the RAV4-EV as 30% less efficient than the LEAF, though...

Snowcones anyone?

8E22EFFF-2472-42BC-B1AD-C9D777A95F42-2559-00000180D8CD0C34.jpg

palmermd said:
Here is the reason....

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/induction-versus-dc-brushless-motors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, excellent. Boy, we could really use a "Like" button to cut down on multiple appreciation posts.

Hey Tony have you noticed reduced performance after hitting low battery warning? It felt like there was a slight reduction in power. However I hit sport mode to check and it seemed unaffected in that mode. Can you confirm?

Smidge204 said:
So the RAV4EV is either powered by rainbows or printer ink... :lol:
I think it's unicorns! Although it may not be sustainable, it sure is better than gas! :geek:

unicornsrav4ev

JeremyW said:
Hey Tony have you noticed reduced performance after hitting low battery warning? It felt like there was a slight reduction in power. However I hit sport mode to check and it seemed unaffected in that mode. Can you confirm?

I'm not going to test my personal Rav4 for max power at low SOC. I didn't think to check that on the rental.

TonyWilliams said:
JeremyW said:

I'm not going to test my personal Rav4 for max power at low SOC. I didn't think to check that on the rental.

Aw shucks, looks like I'll have to rent it again sometime. ;)

JeremyW said:
Just remember to keep it under 70 on the freeway :lol:
That said, I may rent one next weekend if I don't feel like hypermiling the ActiveE all the way to Folsom.

surfingslovak said:
JeremyW said:
Just remember to keep it under 70 on the freeway :lol:
That said, I may rent one next weekend if I don't feel like hypermiling the ActiveE all the way to Folsom.

I drove the Rav4 today, 85mph down the freeway (max speed in normal mode, sport mode is 100mph) for about 20 miles each way from an 80% charge. The GOM still said I had 44 miles left.

Took tons of pictures up on the car rack today. Scouted out the J1772 inlet to the charger, and a new spot for the J1772 on the nose, as is proper.

Found the horns; about the same amount of work to swap out as the LEAF. Love the look of that big Tesla dual motor in there ! I took the main fuse cover off, and it has a little "switch" in it (apparently to detect it was opened).

Anyhoo, I'll get those up soon.

Back