Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greenleaf said:
The first PHEVs are in

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/104130-prius-plug-in-pictures-carson-toyota.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not only that but there's http://green.autoblog.com/2012/02/27/first-prius-plug-in-production-models-arrive-in-u-s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The brand-new Toyota Prius Plug-In has arrived in California, and Toyota wants to make sure that potential buyers know that the plug-in hybrid can be up to $4,000 dollars lower than the sticker price might make it seem, plus other benefits.

The new Prius qualifies for the State of California's Clean Vehicle Rebate Program (CVRP) worth $1,500. The corded Prius can also get California's HOV lane access sticker and qualifies for a $2,500 federal income tax credit. This is the same program that gives Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt buyers up to $7,500, but the Prius Plug-in has a smaller battery and thus only gets a third as much money back...
IBELEAF said:
I almost got tempted, but then I looked at the price $40k fully loaded. Silly Toyota.
Yeah... the fully loaded one is really expensive. Despite the base one being pretty well equipped, I was disappointed at its starting price. I wish Toyota offered a decontented but cheaper PiP.

Perhaps they will once the initial demand is met or if they find sales falling short of expectations?

IBELEAF said:
I don't see that many people would pay 40k for this. Even Volt makes more sense where you can use full $7500 credit...
I suspect they'll sell 100% of the MY '12 PiPs they're going to make...

greenleaf said:
The fully loaded one is a hard sell. The "regular" model is priced at ~$32000.
And the "regular" Volt is ~$30150 with incentives. I think Toyota will still sell 100% of the MY '12 PiPs they make.

100% of 100 they would make?

I don't understand how Toyota pulled such a huge gap between 2 models. It's 8k difference for fog lights, cruise control, led lights and navi/speakers. What kind of person would pay that much for it? Loaded Volt on the other hand $42k, but it has more premium feel and looks and plus you can bring the price down to below 35k with credits.

IBELEAF said:
100% of 100 they would make?

I don't understand how Toyota pulled such a huge gap between 2 models. It's 8k difference for fog lights, cruise control, led lights and navi/speakers. What kind of person would pay that much for it? Loaded Volt on the other hand $42k, but it has more premium feel and looks and plus you can bring the price down to below 35k with credits.
Hmm, I'm pricing out a loaded Volt on Chevy's web site. Not including dealer installed accessories and some other random stuff, a loaded Volt comes out to ~$45K before incentives. That nav system is no longer standard on '12 Volts.

From http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+introduces+2012+prius+plug-in+hybrid.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The new Prius Plug-in will be offered in two trim levels, standard and Advanced. The standard trim level provides all of the features of the Prius Two Liftback grade, plus some features from the upscale Prius Three and Prius Four grades. The Prius Plug-in Hybrid also makes standard a new touch-screen Display Audio and navigation system with rear backup camera and Toyota’s new Entune™ multimedia services.

The Prius Plug-in comes standard with unique wheels, LED Daytime Running Lights, new driver-feedback screens, heated front seats, Smart Key System on three doors with push-button start and remote illuminated entry, and the Touch Tracer Display. The latter features touch sensors on the steering wheel switches that are designed to reduce driver eye movement for better concentration on the road. When the driver touches the audio or info switch located on the steering wheel, a duplicate image is displayed on the instrument panel, directly in front of the driver.

The Advanced trim level adds Head-Up Display, LED headlamps, SofTex interior seat trim, eight-way adjustable power driver seat, a JBL® premium audio and HDD navigation system and exclusive Entune Plug-in Hybrid Applications for smartphones. Additional safety features in the Advanced level include the Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Safety Connect system. The latter can access a call center with a live operator who can dispatch police and emergency vehicles. The system combines automatic collision notification and a stolen vehicle locator feature, which can track the location of the stolen vehicle via GPS and help guide police to recover it.
I don't think on the loaded Volt you'd get a HUD, PCS and DRCC.

The Volt is also classified as a compact and only seats 4 and gets a charge sustained mileage of 37 mpg combined on premium.

The midsized 5 seater PiP is rated at 50 mpg combined on regular in hybrid operation.

A stripped Volt is the same price as a loaded PIP, but effectively cheaper once you take the incentives into account. The biggest incentive is obviously the EV range, but many people look at the hybrid mode MPG and give the benefit to the PIP.. I guess it depends on how far your commute is.

I've got a PiP on a ship right now. When I placed the order it was a tossup between the PiP and LEAF. I'll probably go test drive the PiP, but as I've already replaced my old Subaru with a LEAF, i'd have to get a really good trade on my wife's 2007 Prius to buy another new car this year.
I ordered the "base" PiP, which by my calculations, after all taxes, credits, etc. are figured, would cost me about $1000 less than my SL LEAF in the first year. I didn't put electricity/gas into that calculation though...

essaunders said:
I've got a PiP on a ship right now. When I placed the order it was a tossup between the PiP and LEAF. I'll probably go test drive the PiP, but as I've already replaced my old Subaru with a LEAF, i'd have to get a really good trade on my wife's 2007 Prius to buy another new car this year.

I too am mystified at the price of the PiP. Originally, we had been led to believe that it would cost $3,000 to $5,000 over the cost of a base Prius. But that would have placed the price right in the upper $20k segment. That would have been great. But given the cost of the PiP, I think the Volt is likely a better deal. My wife has a 2010 Prius with "everything" on it. In order to replace it with a comparable PiP, it would cost us probably in excess of $10,000 more than the one she has now.

I too was disappointed by prices of the PiP. I hoped the pre-credit base to be 2 - 4 k less than what it is. Of course, i'm not really pleased by the LEAF SL price hike between 2011 and 2012. Given the PiP and LEAF prices, if the volt had slightly better cabin fit (front seat access and rear seat room) I would have seriously considered it.

all that being said, the LEAF I've got is an excellent fit for my driving pattern. the actual EPA info on the PiP just reinforces that the PiP isn't and EV - it's an augmented hybrid. ( I suppose you could make the argument that the Volt is an augmented EV)

Yes, we are looking to replace my wife's crossover this year and a PHEV would be the perfect compliment to the Leaf. But with the very limited electric range and the high price point, the Prius PHEV clearly is NOT it... It almost appears that Toyota built it more to game the system than for any other reason...

TomT said:
Yes, we are looking to replace my wife's crossover this year and a PHEV would be the perfect compliment to the Leaf. But with the very limited electric range and the high price point, the Prius PHEV clearly is NOT it... It almost appears that Toyota built it more to game the system than for any other reason...

Toyota built it, and they will sell ALL they can make for 1 simple reason: CA HOV lane access.
Every single CA buyer is getting it for that reason alone, mostly. Many of them won't even bother plugging it in (so they say). Its puny EV range is now stated at 6 miles (AER), but that doesn't matter if it saves you 2 hours per day commuting. This is a car for people who want HOV lane access.

I have an advanced on order, but I'm not likely to take it, its based on the same Generation Prius I already own, and the cost to trade in what I have and upgrade is over $20K, just not worthwhile.

As far as the Volt goes, its a compact, it has almost no room in the back seat, its trunk is not nearly as good as the Prius (its NOT a hatcback, the deck is sunken in, nearly useless), and the main thing is, it has much less clearance to get in the drivers side door, in fact, I cannot get into the car without propelling myself in sideways, I cannot sit on the seat and swivel in, my head its the top of the door jamb.

TomT said:
That's exactly what the guy here at work plans to do. He's buying the bottom trim level and just wants it for the stickers... Says it'll never get plugged in.

EricBayArea said:
I think that most people who buy the PiP will only do so for HOV stickers. I bet that the vast majority don't plug them in at home.
Time will tell. If the "stickers only" theory is correct, then the PiP will only sell in states that have/need HOV access. However, from history, the "HOV access" theory doesn't wash ... because when the CA yellow stickers expired, folks just kept buying and buying the regular Prius ... it made no difference, really.
IBELEAF said:
I almost got tempted, but then I looked at the price $40k fully loaded. Silly Toyota.
The 'Fully Loaded' choice isn't a requirement when you consider buying one. Heck ... even 'brand new' isn't a requirement. We didn't buy our "new" 2004 Prius, until we found the options we wanted in a '10 month old' - 2004 Prius. That tactic saved us almost $4,000 (seller was a G.I. who was skipping out of the country - didn't want to go back to Afghanistan). In additon, when you consider the various county / state / fed kickbacks, the PiP 'deal' gets sweeter. And - as most of us know from buying our Leaf's ... you can get $1,000 or more below MSRP. Just sayin' . . . .

hill said:
Time will tell. If the "stickers only" theory is correct, then the PiP will only sell in states that have/need HOV access. However, from history, the "HOV access" theory doesn't wash ... because when the CA yellow stickers expired, folks just kept buying and buying the regular Prius ... it made no difference, really.
Even Dianne the Toyota dealer who posts in PC says she is buying it for the HOV access.

No doubt there will be some who buy PIP - because they like Prius & they want plug-in capability. For someone like me with a short commute, it would actually work.

TomT said:
Yes, we are looking to replace my wife's crossover this year and a PHEV would be the perfect compliment to the Leaf. But with the very limited electric range and the high price point, the Prius PHEV clearly is NOT it...
I'm looking for a PHEV CUV too. We will have to wait for C-Max Energi or Mitsu Outlander PHEV.

evnow said:
TomT said:
Yes, we are looking to replace my wife's crossover this year and a PHEV would be the perfect compliment to the Leaf. But with the very limited electric range and the high price point, the Prius PHEV clearly is NOT it...
I'm looking for a PHEV CUV too. We will have to wait for C-Max Energi or Mitsu Outlander PHEV.
I'm sticking by your rumor post on PC ... that the PiP v is on the, not-too-distant horizon. That'll be a SWEET trade for our Lexus SUV hybrid ;)
... although I'll miss the AWD function that the 400h has.

Probably so, but the handwriting is also on the wall that there will be less and less HOV lane access for such stickers as plans are made to convert more and more lanes to exclude such stickered vehicles unless they are actually carrying multiple persons. At least here in southern California, that is...

Color me silly, but I'm just not willing to pay many thousands more to essentially buy a sticker that has limited usefulness to me (either because most of the freeways I travel don't have HOV lanes or the HOV lanes on those freeways have become nearly as congested as the non-HOV lanes). The vehicle also has to be able to stand on its own merits and the PHEV Prius does not.

Besides, once those 40,000 stickers are gone, that sales incentive disappears.
mitch672 said:
Toyota built it, and they will sell ALL they can make for 1 simple reason: CA HOV lane access.

Except that, if follows the course of the current Prius v and uses the same driveline as the sedan PHEV, the added weight, reduced aerodynamics, and lower gearing of the v version will further reduce the already severely limited electric range...
hill said:
I'm sticking by your rumor post on PC ... that the PiP v is on the, not-too-distant horizon. That'll be a SWEET trade for our Lexus SUV hybrid ;)
... although I'll miss the AWD function that the 400h has.

Back