Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody remembers the positive review Fox news car report gave the Leaf, just the negative comments made by their opinion-tainment talking heads (more directed at the Volt as I recall)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/01/05/review-nissan-leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Well, MT didn't put it on a scale, but Tesla has finally reported what I was most curious about, what the 85 kWh S weighs.

CURB WEIGHT

4650 lb (mfr)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1206_2012_tesla_model_s_first_drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder how close the 40 kWh version will come to the previously announced curb weight, about 3,800 lb, IIRC?

I bet pretty close. 45kWh's of batteries plus the additional thermal management has to weigh 600 to 700lbs. I bet the 40kWh Model S is right around 4,000lbs

TomMoloughney said:
edatoakrun said:
Well, MT didn't put it on a scale, but Tesla has finally reported what I was most curious about, what the 85 kWh S weighs.

CURB WEIGHT

4650 lb (mfr)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1206_2012_tesla_model_s_first_drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder how close the 40 kWh version will come to the previously announced curb weight, about 3,800 lb, IIRC?

I bet pretty close. 45kWh's of batteries plus the additional thermal management has to weigh 600 to 700lbs. I bet the 40kWh Model S is right around 4,000lbs

Anywhere between 3,800 and 4,000 lbs would be a reasonable guess, IMO, but...

Didn't I read somewhere that the 85 kWh and 60 kWh S's would weigh about the same?-That one of the benefits of the different batteries making up the 85kWh pack, was considerably higher energy density=lower weight per kWh?

If both the 60 and 40 do use batteries with considerably lower energy density (and I don't know that this is true) it might point to the higher end of the possible weight range for the 40 kWh.

edatoakrun said:
TomMoloughney said:
edatoakrun said:

CURB WEIGHT

4650 lb (mfr)

Anywhere between 3,800 and 4,000 lbs would be a reasonable guess, IMO, but...

Didn't I read somewhere that the 85 kWh and 60 kWh S's would weigh about the same?-That one of the benefits of the different batteries making up the 85kWh pack, was considerably higher energy density=lower weight per kWh?

If both the 60 and 40 do use batteries with considerably lower energy density (and I don't know that this is true) it might point to the higher end of the possible weight range for the 40 kWh.
I mentioned a bit upthread that I'd read that the weight of the 40kWh battery pack was supposed to be ~1,000 lb., with the 60 and 85kWh packs coming in at ~1,200 lb. So I wouldn't expect all that much of a weight difference due to the battery.

Faux news has been throwing scorn and filth on Tesla for years now. And now they are waiting for something to break, so that they can again run their spin mills at full speed.

Boy is the model s a beautiful car. I saw a beta one driving around palo alto a few weeks ago.

My next EV will probably be a tesla. I'm 90% ready to put a deposit on one. I really want the 60+ KWh battery though. If i could go 200 miles between fast charges, wow, life would be great. It is just so expensive. I have to keep saving for it.

Nice work tesla, you shattered the illusion that an electric car can't be the best car in the world. Fast, sexy looking and with a long range.

There we go!

Click to open

An old coworker went to work for them, I was invited to the launch, got to drive the Performance Sedan. OMG - nice car. I own a '09 Z06, the Model S accelerates not as fast but enough to feel it in the ass. Well planted, takes turns like nothing I've ever driven.
The weirdest part was the huge center display and no physical controls. Don't know if I like that.

Kept asking my friend to get on the list of TESLA rapid mileage drivers.

Still like my Leaf, can't quite rationalize spending that much on a work commute car.

EVDrive said:
Boy is the model s a beautiful car. I saw a beta one driving around palo alto a few weeks ago.

My next EV will probably be a tesla. I'm 90% ready to put a deposit on one. I really want the 60+ KWh battery though. If i could go 200 miles between fast charges, wow, life would be great. It is just so expensive. I have to keep saving for it.

Nice work tesla, you shattered the illusion that an electric car can't be the best car in the world. Fast, sexy looking and with a long range.
I think the Tesla S looks best from front and rear quarter views. From the side, not so much - it's certainly nice, but nothing special. Re Tesla S range, you're not going to be able to go 200 miles on a fast charge with the 60kWh battery, only the 85kWh, and then only if you keep the speed down to 65 or less. For instance, Tesla credits the 85 kWh battery with a max. range of 240 miles @ 70 mph. Multiply that x .8 (for a QC) = 192 miles, and that's with no allowance for battery aging, non-ideal conditions, or a reserve.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Are they driving those two cars to Chicago?

This comment got buried but as I needed to wait for the recorded version which was a bit long had a chance to listen in over the weekend and was somewhat amazed that (I think I heard) the first two 'regular' cars were destined to go to Chicago area buyers as noted above --- have to be some VC (venture capital) or other high profile customers (or even perhaps some current Tesla roadster owners?) was also a bit surprised that the local Chicago media didn't pick up on this but perhaps later once the cars get out there ... quite doubtful they'll get driven as who would want to both wait and have a couple thousand miles already on their brand new car so I'm sure they're going on car carriers. Didn't check today but would be a good feature article if picked up locally ...

redLEAF said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

This comment got buried but as I needed to wait for the recorded version which was a bit long had a chance to listen in over the weekend and was somewhat amazed that (I think I heard) the first two 'regular' cars were destined to go to Chicago area buyers as noted above --- have to be some VC (venture capital) or other high profile customers (or even perhaps some current Tesla roadster owners?) was also a bit surprised that the local Chicago media didn't pick up on this but perhaps later once the cars get out there ... quite doubtful they'll get driven as who would want to both wait and have a couple thousand miles already on their brand new car so I'm sure they're going on car carriers. Didn't check today but would be a good feature article if picked up locally ...
I was joking of course when I wrote that, but anything is possible. If they are going to high profile customers they could be going air freight. The environmental footprint of shipping cars long distance by any means other than rail is left as an exercise for the reader.

LTLFTcomposite said:
redLEAF said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

I was joking of course when I wrote that, but anything is possible. If they are going to high profile customers they could be going air freight. The environmental footprint of shipping cars long distance by any means other than rail is left as an exercise for the reader.

Oh, I knew you were kidding ... thought it might be this high roller but he's Tesla Model S reservation #300. Novel approach to try and sell a house though ...

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/get-free-tesla-model-s-when-you-buy-suburban-chicago-house-46708.html

Zythryn said:
KevinSharpe said:
my favourite Model S customer video so far :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0CBJQw5rvw&feature=player_embedded (sorry, I couldn't get the youtube embed feature to work)

Awesome! Thanks for posing that. Loved the song too. If anyone else was as interested, the song title is 'Never Listen' by Julia Othmer.

Looking forward to seeing more owner videos and reviews.

My favorite part is at the 1:30 mark... we're doing 20, doing 20... F******CK!! ...doing 100

They need a scraper to remove the camera guy from the inside of the back window :lol:

LTLFTcomposite said:
Anybody know how many cars a day are rolling out the back door of this factory?

initially around 20 a day?? i think i read somewhere. extra QC is being performed to make sure nothing bad gets out. they hope to get to 100 a day in a few weeks time

Back