Official Plug-In 2010 Conference thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the desire for fast chargers. But in the real world, imo, if your EV plans hinge upon the existence and frequent availability of fast-charge stations, you may be better off either waiting for something with more range, or modifying your plans to eliminate the need for fast charger. I think the circumstances where one could depend on a fast charger to enable a frequent >100mi/day travel, will be fairly rare. Even in major infrastructure projects for large metropolitan areas, the number of proposed l3 charging stations is something like 50 (think I heard this on the plugin2010 audio).

If you're lucky enough for one of those to be convenient, keep in mind the odds of availability. The number of cars that can be serviced at even 50 stations during a day has got to be considerably fewer than what a single gas station services regularly. At first, of course, those brand-new, sparkly chargers may be wide open, but in 2 or 3 years time, if popularity is high....

I think for the next few years, EV owners should generally only count on "guaranteed" charging. Your own home charger, of course, and maybe charging at work, if that opportunity exists and can be counted on. Otherwise, my plans for public charging are those of occasional convenience and/or emergency use.

I liken it to paved roads. The first paved roads in America were brought about by lobbying from bicyclists. The pavement didn't come first, the bicycles did. When a critical mass was reached, infrastructure followed. That drove further changes, etc...

Stoaty said:
emailed Nissan and called them this morning re: Level 3 charging option---L3 only comes with the SL package. It is included in the price of the SL option. "The Level 3 charging port will be an option only on the SL trim level.
Well, they wouldn't tell me how much the L3 option cost yesterday (said they didn't know), so I would this answer with a grain of salt too. They did say it was only available with SL trim level.
I just spoke with the woman in charge of internet sales at Santa Monica Nissan. She seemed quite knowledgeable about the Leaf, and told me that the L3 port comes as part of the SL trim, no extra charge for it. I am taking her at her word. Looks like time to change to SL trim!

Stoaty said:
Stoaty said:
emailed Nissan and called them this morning re: Level 3 charging option---L3 only comes with the SL package. It is included in the price of the SL option. "The Level 3 charging port will be an option only on the SL trim level.
Well, they wouldn't tell me how much the L3 option cost yesterday (said they didn't know), so I would this answer with a grain of salt too. They did say it was only available with SL trim level.
I just spoke with the woman in charge of internet sales at Santa Monica Nissan. She seemed quite knowledgeable about the Leaf, and told me that the L3 port comes as part of the SL trim, no extra charge for it. I am taking her at her word. Looks like time to change to SL trim!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I emailed Nissanusa.com again for some clarification re: L3 charging port option. quote: "Thank you for your interest in the Nissan electric vehicle. Unfortunately at this time, the cost of the level 3 charging port is not available. We will have this information to you as soon as possible, and stay tuned for updates on our website, www.nissanusa.com.........
---------------------------------------------------
I'm really confused now. Ok, so definitely L3 available only on the SL trim package. However, I've had different stories about the L3 port now from 3 different Nissan reps. One in person at the Plug-in 2010 show and 2 by email. I heard it wasn't going to cost extra. I guess we won't get the real answer for a while.

Back