Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can almost guarantee it won't be. I've driven the 2013 2.0L Escape and it drives and handles much like a BMW or Audi sports sedan. Quite impressive and fun. I highly doubt the Mits will be anywhere close in that regard. I'd also have some reservations about getting one right out of the gate... It's relatively new technology for Mits and their first year record with new vehicles has not been stellar...

willk55 said:
I will sell/trade my 2013 Ford Escape (providing it is as comfortable and as much fun to drive).

mwalsh said:
If it comes in with a $7500 tax credit, AND I can take delivery by December 31, 2013, I'll give this one serious consideration over the Volt.

Random, unconfirmed scuttlebutt is that the US spec modifications won't happen until late fall 2013, and the car will not be delivered in the US until likely mid-Q1.

/grain of salt and all that...but I figured I'd add what I had heard

mwalsh said:
If it comes in with a $7500 tax credit, AND I can take delivery by December 31, 2013, I'll give this one serious consideration over the Volt.

Will you accept a counter-offer of a $5800 tax credit and delivery by Jan 31, 2014 :)

Battery size is 12kWh so it's not eligible for the full $7500. And Mitsu's president is on record saying it will go on sale here next Jan. Based on what Statik said, maybe 'on sale in Jan' means you don't get delivery until Feb possibly. This seems to be what's happening in Japan right now. Even though it went on sale there Jan 24th, many are still waiting for actual delivery to happen. As usual in the EV game, we have no choice but to wait and see...

Statik said:
Random, unconfirmed scuttlebutt is that the US spec modifications won't happen until late fall 2013, and the car will not be delivered in the US until likely mid-Q1.

/grain of salt and all that...but I figured I'd add what I had heard

My sources at Mitsubishi are saying Q4 2013, which make a contender!

Edit: Though I've just read what JouleThief says about the 12kWh pack. That would be a bummer.

Sorry, but I have to ask again - has anybody come across the passenger dimensions (headroom, legroom, hiproom and/or shoulder room) in any documentation for either the new Outlander or the PHEV? I've seen the Japanese documents showing pictures with dimensions, but they show things like floor-to-roof, not individual head- and legroom.

The only thing I've found is on the Mitsubishi Australia website, for the non-PHEV version, but either they measure differently than we do in the USA, or the numbers just have to be wrong. They work out to:

Front headroom: 36.5 in. (928 mm)
Front legroom: 34.2 in. (870 mm)
Front shoulder room: 56.6 in. (1437 mm)

Rear headroom: 34.3 in. (872 mm)
Rear legroom: 34.4 in. (875 mm)
Rear shoulder room: 56.1 in. (1425 mm)

Front and rear legroom both less than 35" each? Headrooms less than 37"? That's not an SUV, it's a clown car... :eek:

Oh, and BTW - nice job on InsideOutlander, JouleThief. Looks really nice, and I have to wonder where you're getting some of your info - you seem to be scooping all the other auto sites!

ahagge said:
Sorry, but I have to ask again - has anybody come across the passenger dimensions (headroom, legroom, hiproom and/or shoulder room) in any documentation for either the new Outlander or the PHEV? I've seen the Japanese documents showing pictures with dimensions, but they show things like floor-to-roof, not individual head- and legroom.

Oh, and BTW - nice job on InsideOutlander, JouleThief. Looks really nice, and I have to wonder where you're getting some of your info - you seem to be scooping all the other auto sites!

I have my sources :cool:

Thanks for the compliment, I'm simply trying to follow the wonderful examples set by Jay and Lyle. At the risk of shamelessly plugging my site, you might consider posting your question over there. Not to steer you away from MNL, but there are some very enthusiastic Dutchmen on the Outlander PHEV forum with direct access to equally enthusiastic Mitsubishi dealers in the Netherlands. They may be able to get the answer you seek. I've only seen the Japanese drawings you mention.

JouleThief said:
ahagge said:

I have my sources :cool:

Thanks for the compliment, I'm simply trying to follow the wonderful examples set by Jay and Lyle. At the risk of shamelessly plugging my site, you might consider posting your question over there. Not to steer you away from MNL, but there are some very enthusiastic Dutchmen on the Outlander PHEV forum with direct access to equally enthusiastic Mitsubishi dealers in the Netherlands. They may be able to get the answer you seek. I've only seen the Japanese drawings you mention.

I'm digging the InsideXXXX title, (=

Next time there is some 'stealthy' news, fire it off to me ([email protected]) and I will give your site a plug.

SteveInSeattle said:
Seems unlikely that they will survive in the US market-- lots of speculation to that effect.
Yes, and I recall that there was a LOT of similar speculation about Nissan in the 1998-1999 timeframe. They were haemorrhaging cash and many said that only a Japanese government bailout could save them. What a difference a decade makes!

From a story here:
Nissan's Decline

Nissan headquarters Nissan hit hard times in the 1990s. It posted losses seven years in a row beginning in 1993. The company in that period was known for it unimaginative marketing, unresponsive management, overstaffing, disputes between management and unions, and boring cars that were out of step with current trends.

Between 1985 and 1999, Nissan sales shrunk by 25 percent in the United States and it fell to a distant third behind Toyota and Honda in Japan. In fiscal year 1998-1999, Nissan lost $5.6 billion. By that time Nissan was $22 billion in debt, and may have owed its keiretsu partners an additional $20 billion.
And this comment from December 2012 regarding Mitsubishi's future in the US...
Masuko added that while EVs and emerging markets are the “two pillars that we have to tackle,” he insists that Mitsubishi has “no intention whatsoever of withdrawing from the U.S. market. We are producing the Outlander Sport [in the U.S.] now, but in years to come we would like to produce other models there, too.”
Personally, I think they have a winner on their hands and I'm willing to take a chance on them. Of course, the fact that I already own one of their products (a 2006 Evo IX MR that's probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned) may make me a bit biased... ;)

When I bought my first Mitsubishi brand new (07 Outlander) I was worried about poor reliability and feeling that Mitsubishi pulling out of the market, but none of that happened. I still own the Outlander with no reliability issues and Mitsubishi still here... I am am pretty confident I will get PHEV version the moment it becomes available.

Sales and orders in Japan and Europe look very promising, as reported below.

I'll say it again.

The obviously superior application for PHEV technology is in SUVs, where their cost and weight disadvantages are largely outweighed by superior (to ICEV) 4wd capability.

Mitsu has a real opening in the US, as the exclusive mass-market manufacturer of 4wd PHEVs. It's exclusive position will even be superior to the near-monopoly Nissan has with the LEAF in the low-price-full-sized-BEV-fwd passenger car market.

I wonder how fast Mitsu can build these things?

With just one week of sales on the books, the Outlander PHEV (full details and specs here) already has managed to outsell most of Mitsubishi’s other cars sold in Japan. 506 units were sold between Jan 24th and Jan 31st, giving the Outlander PHEV 5th place beating 11 of the 16 models available in that market. The only 4 to do better were the EK Wagon, Delica D:5 & D:2, and Mirage.

This is an impressive start for the world’s first plug-in hybrid SUV...

This popularity is trending in the Netherlands as well. Members of our own forum here at Inside-Outlander are reporting that their dealerships have nearly sold out for 2013! Although Mitsubishi has yet to deliver a single Outlander PHEV to the Dutch market and first deliveries are not expected until July, at least 2,500 pre-orders are already on the books (with speculation as high as 3,500). Dealers are now quoting delivery times in the Oct-Nov timeframe for new orders. Mitsubishi has pledged to build enough Outlander PHEV’s to meet this demand, but the real question is how long will buyers have to wait to get their hands on one?...

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-sells-over-500-outlander-phevs-in-first-week-as-global-demand-intensifies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mitsubishi approach to advertise this car? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=YOT7HcSjx5E&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also found this recent video that's 20 minutes long. Not sure they are talking about, but at least I got a nice feeling of the interior. I noticed navigation map looks just as ancient as the the current one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqReGkSFW1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's never been a plug-in hybrid SUV on the market so nobody shall be surprised of a strong initial demand. But that doesn't mean it will last. I've understood that there will be delays in Europe. The PHEV Outlander is available now in Switzerland, but France and Italy will have to wait till the end of the year.

Mitsubishi reports 2 battery problems, no recalls

(AP) – 2 hours ago
TOKYO (AP) — Mitsubishi Motors says a battery in a plug-in hybrid Outlander vehicle heated up and melted. No one was injured.
Separately, the Japanese automaker said Wednesday a battery for i-MiEV electric cars caught fire at an auto-assembly plant, but that no one was injured.
Mitsubishi Motors Corp. said the problems with the lithium-ion battery occurred during production, and may be related to a change in production methods in December.
Spokesman Kai Inada said the company was investigating the cause and has not issued any recalls related to the problem.
Mitsubishi has received orders for 7,500 Outlander vehicles and delivered 4,000, all in Japan.
Both batteries were made by GS Yuasa, the Japanese supplier for Boeing Co. 787 jets, which has also had battery overheating problems.
Inada said the products are different.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...acWbpA?docId=99c13bf892374c7b92f4842abcbc30be

Back