Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
evnow said:
GRA said:
Those who place more value on the performance/handling end of things and who don't want/need the extra room, like me, will lean towards the A3, and those who value the extra space and are less concerned with the performance will lean towards the Outlander. Clear now?
That is a small % of the total market. I'll grant that 5% or so of the Outlander PHEV potential market will get A3 e-tron.
I'd expect more than 5% around here, and this remains the largest market by far for PEVs, so we'll see. Of course, if VW adds a Passat or Golf Sportwagen PHEV that sells for several $k less than the Audi, that will change things.

From VWoA's press release dated 3/31/15 at http://media.vw.com/release/953/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
New York, New York — Volkswagen of America, Inc., today announced that it will produce the all-wheel-drive Golf SportWagen Alltrack for the U.S. market beginning in 2016, and showed four unique Beetle and Beetle Convertible models that help to commemorate Volkswagen of America’s 60th anniversary.

Golf SportWagen Alltrack

Coinciding with the arrival of the all-new Golf SportWagen, currently available in dealer showrooms, Volkswagen is pleased to announce that the all-wheel-drive Alltrack model will go on sale in 2016 as a 2017 model. “We have heard from dealers and customers that they want to see a Golf SportWagen with the all-terrain capability that comes from all-wheel drive,” said Michael Horn, President and CEO of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. “We are delighted to introduce the SportWagen Alltrack in 2016 in the U.S."

Technical and visual differences between the Golf SportWagen and the Alltrack include a 4MOTION® all-wheel-drive system, nearly an inch higher ground clearance, wheelarch moldings and flared side sills that offer body protection, newly designed bumpers, and an even more upscale interior.

The 4MOTION all-wheel drive system uses the latest generation Haldex-5 coupling, activated via an electro-hydraulic oil pump. In normal driving, the Alltrack acts like a front-wheel-drive car for better fuel economy, but as soon as the system detects wheel slip, up to 50 percent of the drive torque can be shipped to the rear wheels. In addition to the Haldex coupling that acts longitudinally, electronic differential locks (EDL) at the front and rear axles act laterally in concert with the electronic stability control system. The system briefly brakes a wheel that is slipping, enabling uninterrupted and stable transfer of drive power to the wheel on the opposite side.

In combination with the higher ground clearance, this 4MOTION all-wheel drive system helps to give the newest Golf SportWagen the off-road capability and load-carrying capacity of a compact SUV along with the on-road manners and fuel economy of a compact wagon.
Now all they need to do is offer it as a PHEV.

cwstnsko said:
ydnas7 said:
Which makes me consider?
Does battery progression help EVs or PHEVs more?

'large' battery PHEVs seem to be the most assisted by battery progression with a couple of IFs.

I think the vehicles that need the most battery capacity will benefit the most from battery progression. :)

if a PHEV battery can widen its SOC window, then it has an additional benefit over just a cell capacity increase.

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as per anko from prior link
PHEV1_zpssszdsadd.jpg

so 70% of 12 = 8.4kWh useful, plus a 30% of SOC for reserve below that (an extra 3.6kWh)

1) daily charging is to the '100%' SOC level - no choice there. interestingly this is a Mn based cathode, like Nissan
2) 30% buffer SOC, if this could be halved, then an extra 1.8kWh could transfer to useful kWh (ie increase of 21% useful kWh)
3) XR-PHEV concept was 14kWh, XR-PHEV II concept was 12kWh. It seems that Mitsubishi was considering adding 2 extra modules but decided against it.

There seems potential for Mitsubishi to grow its useful kWH for the Outlander Sport PHEV from 0% to 21% to 36% to 67% increase in useful kWH, not all at once. similar to how the Volt gen 1 improved its useful kWh over the past few years.

As the Outlander Sport PHEV is parrallel hybrid (Outlander PHEV is essentially series hybrid with some parrallel ability), there is more scope for the Outlander Sport PHEV to require less 'buffer'. The Outlander PHEV (like the BMW i3) really needs it's buffer.

ahagge said:
GRA said:
Now, if Subaru were to offer a PHEV version of the Outback, that would be a whole new ballgame.
+1 (and wishing...)
I have seen posts at various places pointing out to Subaru that they need to do this; the XV Crosstrek Hybrid is a joke. Try this (scroll down to "Where's My Electric Subaru?"): http://teamsubaru.wikispaces.com/Marketing+Strategy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They'll have to offer one soon or lose their core customers. Even two years from now I think it'd be too soon for them to offer a BEV; the winter range and required infrastructure isn't there yet, and the prices too high. So, PHEV for the next gen, and then BEV/FCHV or PHFCEV the one after that.

Outlander PHEV Cutaway
http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/video/visitor-inspects-a-cut-away-version-of-a-mitsubishi-news-footage/464802661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, the refreshed design is now out in the open at the New York auto show.

I must say, I don't care for the exterior "refresh" - way too much brushed chrome, the front grill openings look like they were designed by committee, and I frankly just find it ugly. But I've been waiting 3+ years now for the PHEV to make it to the states, so as much as I'd prefer the existing design, I'll guess I'll have to learn to like the new one (much as I've learned to like the LEAF, as homely as it is... :D ). Sigh. Wonder how much it costs to black anodize all of that @(&*%# chrome...

ahagge said:

I must say, I don't care for the exterior "refresh" - way too much brushed chrome, the front grill openings look like they were designed by committee, and I frankly just find it ugly. But I've been waiting 3+ years now for the PHEV to make it to the states, so as much as I'd prefer the existing design, I'll guess I'll have to learn to like the new one (much as I've learned to like the LEAF, as homely as it is... :D ). Sigh. Wonder how much it costs to black anodize all of that @(&*%# chrome...
I'm with you on all the chrome and the grill design. Simple, understated and elegant works for me, or even (since I've owned two Subaru wagons and it would be hard to describe either as elegant) just simple and understated. What do they expect, that people who buy these things are going to put tall wheels with skinny tires on them so they can cruise round the 'hood with their homies? Do their designers feel like the old version just didn't have enough bling? (OT) I'd happily vote for execution for anyone who sticks such monstrosities on a Jaguar XK; I've seen it (shudder).

3,300 Outlander PHEVS sold in UK in March (initial report)
http://ev-sales.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/uk-march-2015-draft.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ahagge said:

There's always a chance that the PHEV version will be better looking... let's hope.

redLEAF said:
or it could be this ugly (wanted a photo of the 'bustle back' but this will do)
Oh, I know - I just about upchucked when I saw that, it's so f-ugly. If that's Mitsu's new design language, they're definitely headed the way of the Edsel and the Yugo. It reminds me of a toy "wheelie" car from the '60s. Sigh. :roll:

ahagge said:
redLEAF said:
Oh, I know - I just about upchucked when I saw that, it's so f-ugly. If that's Mitsu's new design language, they're definitely headed the way of the Edsel and the Yugo. It reminds me of a toy "wheelie" car from the '60s. Sigh. :roll:

It's bad enough in the photos but Mitsu brought this thing to the Chicago Auto Show to 'gauge public response' ... you wanna guess how that went ... even the presenter in their display had to say something along the lines as this isn't quite ready yet for production ... reminds me of a cartoon hippo hanging their butt off a ledge taking aim at passers below

redLEAF said:
ahagge said:
redLEAF said:
It's bad enough in the photos but Mitsu brought this thing to the Chicago Auto Show to 'gauge public response' ... you wanna guess how that went ... even the presenter in their display had to say something along the lines as this isn't quite ready yet for production ... reminds me of a cartoon hippo hanging their butt off a ledge taking aim at passers below
Toyota needs to buy one, quick, and park it next to the Mirai. They can say "see, it really isn't as ugly as it could have been". AYFKM?!

Latest posts

Back