Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
I'd have seriously considered this if it had QC.
Me too, depending on the price. But to give a BEV regional range and then not include a QC so you can make shorter inter-regional trips, as Toyota did with the RAV4, is just stupid. For many people, that range plus QC would allow it to be their only car. Just rent for that once in a lifetime X-C road trip you've always been meaning to take.

Toyota was just building a very limited production California compliance vehicle so it made perfect sense for them - they didn't care! It makes less sense for MB to leave out QC since they plan on this being a real car... I know they say it is coming later but it should have been there from the getgo.

GRA said:
But to give a BEV regional range and then not include a QC so you can make shorter inter-regional trips, as Toyota did with the RAV4, is just stupid.

If the new info about the battery proves to be true, I'd absolutely consider this to replace my Leaf. I do hope they change their minds on DCQC, though.

TomT said:
Toyota was just building a very limited production California compliance vehicle so it made perfect sense for them - they didn't care! It makes less sense for MB to leave out QC since they plan of this being a real car... I know they say it is coming later but it should have been there from the getgo.
My guess is Tesla would have charged more (quite a bit more) if MB or Toyota wanted QC.

For MB it is even more weird - what's the point of putting a SAE plug when no chargers exist ?

13978794203173.jpg

A Chademo adapter maybe? They could also do straight Chademo for the U.S. market... Technically, both are feasible... Time will tell but a straight SAE makes absolutely no sense, no.

evnow said:
For MB it is even more weird - what's the point of putting a SAE plug when no chargers exist ?

I also spoke to a dealer who said they should start arriving in June. But he also said there weren't many coming. So finding one available to look at or test drive could be a real challenge.

I'm definitely interested, but won't be in the market again for a couple more years. Hopefully by then they will have the DCQC available. I'm a big MB fan, but Tesla and Leaf have sold me on the EV concept. So I'm really looking forward to an MB EV.

I might consider this car. Based on the recent revelations about the battery, here's my guess:

Mercedes B-Class ED battery

36.0kWh total – 100% SOC
33.2kWh usable- 95.0% SOC
28.0kWh usable- 80.0% SOC
1.0kWh unusable- 2.7% SOC

Rav4 EV with Tesla drivetrain:

45.0kWh total – 100% SOC
41.8kWh usable- 95.1% SOC = [( 41.8 + 1.0) / 45]
35.0kWh usable- 80.0% SOC = [( 35.0 + 1.0) / 45]
1.0kWh unusable- 2.2% SOC = [1.0) / 45]

Range at 65mph (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F:

B-Class ED - 3.8 miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) * 33.2kWh = 126 miles

Rav4 EV - 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) * 41.8kWh = 142 miles

LEAF - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per miles) * 21.38kWh = 85.5 miles

Yep, if this info pans out, and if the pricing and equipment level is within reason, this might replace my Leaf.

TonyWilliams said:
I might consider this car. Based on the recent revelations about the battery, here's my guess:

Dunno, if I could ignore the lack of QC on both cars I'd probably consider the RAV over the MBZ, more range and utility for about the same price.

Considering how we use the car and that we have used QC a total of 5 times in 47,000 miles and 8 months, it is not a deal breaker for me. Particularly with the greater range as at least 3 of those QCs would not have been necessary with more range and less degradation....

Valdemar said:
Dunno, if I could ignore the lack of QC on both cars I'd probably consider the RAV over the MBZ, more range and utility for about the same price.

With 50% more battery capacity - this would be a good replacement for Leaf. We could replace my wife's ICE with this and get the Outlander PHEV to replace my Leaf next year.

Oh Wait - this is not sold in Seattle. Nevermind.

Valdemar said:

I already have two Rav4 EV's. Part of the theory of possibly owning this car is to build a CHAdeMO receptacle for it, similar to the project that we are working on for the Rav4 called JdeMO.

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:

I already have two Rav4 EV's. Part of the theory of possibly owning this car is to build a CHAdeMO receptacle for it, similar to the project that we are working on for the Rav4 called JdeMO.

I was more interested about TomT's rationale for giving the Benz the preference over the RAV4 as a Leaf replacement. Also the "less degradation" part is not necessarily a good assumption. Granted, this is a single data point and may not represent true capacity loss, but you reported "11.5% degradation at 36,000 miles, 18 months in service" for you RAV4. I don't have any scientific data to prove it but my Leaf lost about 20% over 32 months at 52000 miles in a similar climate. So it is likely less in the Tesla-provided system, but not by a large margin. More capacity upfront surely helps, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Benz turns from a 126-mile car to a 90-mile one in 3 years.

Assuming I get the MB, I'd be interested in being a Guinea and/or customer for that!

TonyWilliams said:

Part of the reason is that I really don't want an SUV. Also, I would prefer a more high-tech interior... Plus, it bothers me just a little to aid Toyota in their compliance scam...

Valdemar said:
I was more interested about TomT's rationale for giving the Benz the preference over the RAV4 as a Leaf replacement.

In this vehicle they mention there is a driving assist feature that causes the steering wheel to vibrate. Does anyone know if you can disable that vibration?

http://insideevs.com/mercedes-benz-b-class-ed-first-drive-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back