Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ILETRIC said:
Gimme at least unlimited miles for 500 bucks a month lease, MBB!

That might come, but only if they can't unload the cars. Both Honda, and then Toyota, only went to low lease payments (heavily subsidized) and unlimited miles when existing sales weren't going to hit the regualtory target.

I couldn't easily find California sales data for Mercedes, but they import,
"...more than 70,000 cars that come through the Port of Long Beach annually".

If we assume that every single one is sold in California, then Mercedes needs 3 years * 70,000 = 210,000 auto sales for model year 2015-2017 CARB-ZEV compliance, and the regulatory credits is 0.79% of that, or 1659 credits.

Each "100 mile" battery electric car gets 3 CARB-ZEV credits, therefore 1659 / 3 = 553 total cars sold for 2015-2017, or about 184 cars per year.

“California is truly one of the most important markets in the world,” said Dietmar Exler, who became vice president of sales for Mercedes-Benz USA on Jan. 1, 2014

If all they care about is CARB, they shouldn't have to do anything to sell that many... However, since they are planning to offer it across the nation next year, it would appear that they may have loftier goals...

TonyWilliams said:
or about 184 cars per year.

TonyWilliams said:
“California is truly one of the most important markets in the world,” said Dietmar Exler, who became vice president of sales for Mercedes-Benz USA on Jan. 1, 2014
So important that they will flood the market with 184 EVs a year?

Seems to me MB is a little more committed to EVs than Toyota/Honda/Fiat and other pure compliance car makers.

But there is almost no marketing support for MBED and there is little support even in terms of putting up a lease rate on their website, for eg. Initial report I see on FB is that dealers are confused about leasing options. So MBED may turn out to be like FFE - sold everywhere, but not really.

Only thing that might propel MB is to be one up over BMW i3. With little investment if they can sell more than i3 - they would like that idea. But then, I remember Ford fans claiming FFE will outsell Leaf :lol:

TomT said:
If all they care about is CARB, they shouldn't have to do anything to sell that many... However, since they are planning to offer it across the nation next year, it would appear that they may have loftier goals...

TonyWilliams said:
or about 184 cars per year.

Yes, just like GM was going to sell the Spark EV in Europe, US, Canada, heck maybe the moon.

Sure they'll sell "nationwide", at exactly the following places:

CARB-ZEV "coalition" states - California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont

evnow said:
Seems to me MB is a little more committed to EVs than Toyota/Honda/Fiat and other pure compliance car makers.

But there is almost no marketing support for MBED and there is little support even in terms of putting up a lease rate on their website, for eg. Initial report I see on FB is that dealers are confused about leasing options. So MBED may turn out to be like FFE - sold everywhere, but not really.

Only thing that might propel MB is to be one up over BMW i3. With little investment if they can sell more than i3 - they would like that idea. But then, I remember Ford fans claiming FFE will outsell Leaf :lol:

I will bet you $100 that they bring a fuel cell to market for 2018.

Since they physically have one, and they won't have to sell it anywhere but California in 2018 thanks to recent rule changes, and it will likely earn 300% more credit per vehicle than the B-Class ED, I think it's a no brainer.

The only reason this car is here now is because Mercedes didn't have to comply with CARB-ZEV until 2015 model year and beyond. Toyota, Honda, GM, Nissan, Fiat/Chrysler and Ford had to comply starting in 2012.

evnow said:
Every morning this week I've turned on the KTLA morning news and seen at least three of these ads for the MBED. MB actually seems interested in selling these, especially since they are quite far ahead of their originally planned launch date.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrsMRgqH4AE[/youtube]

TomT said:
The current B platform was designed from the get-go to be a FCV and an EV, as well as an ICE, so I think that is a no brainer...

TonyWilliams said:
I will bet you $100 that they bring a fuel cell to market for 2018.

The number one reason to sell the Fool Cell will be that they ONLY have to sell the car in California... if they keep with the BEV, they will be required by 2018 to sell in CARB-ZEV "coalition" states - California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.

That's when they can step out, like Toyota and Honda (and I predict GM, probably Ford) and say, "We tried to sell the electric cars but nobody wanted them.

Devin said:
evnow said:
Every morning this week I've turned on the KTLA morning news and seen at least three of these ads for the MBED. MB actually seems interested in selling these, especially since they are quite far ahead of their originally planned launch date.
They've been running that ad quite frequently here in the Bay Area as well, half "You Only Live Twice", half "Frankenstein". Nissan has been running a newish LEAF ad a lot. A Bay Area Fiat dealer has been advertising the 500e on the local PBS station, and I've certainly been seeing 500es a lot more frequently the past two months. Haven't seen any i3 ads to date (or any cars, FTM), but with the order backlog maybe they figure they don't need them yet.

Devin said:
evnow said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrsMRgqH4AE[/youtube]

Just started seeing this ad fairly frequently on MSNBC.

There apparently is a software issue that is causing the following problem on a number vehicles (four at last count). Here is one owner's chronology as reported another forum:

"After enjoying the car for less than 4 days after delivery, got this message on the dash: "Service Required, do not change gears, visit the dealer.""

"Monday 7/28 came an went without resolution to the issue. MB asked my permission to keep it so they could drive it around Tuesday 7/29. Apparently they were able "to recreate the alarm condition" by driving it around. They called in a regional technician as no solution has yet been found."

"Software issue sent to Germany for reprogramming patch. Germany was apparently aware of this already and programmers are working on it. Car is being given back to me today, with instructions to ignore this specific message, and when the software patch is available I will be called to return to the dealership for the update to be installed. I guess that is good news, though returning again to the dealership in the near future is less than desirable."

"Well, probably last update on this for a while. When I went to pick up car I made them write on service ticket, which they did, the following: "The issue is not resolved, customer is advised to disregard this drivetrain message and drive normally until notified of the software update. Mercedes benz says vehicle is safe to drive." After reading it back before I signed it I told the guy this is crazy and I am not sure I feel safe with a software glitch with no resolution. They will keep the car in their service department until it is fixed. No telling when that will be."

"MBUSA person assigned to my issue called today and reported team from Germany traveling in next few days to Glendale to investigate/work on my car. Did not say if software update was with them or if my car is going to be the Beta field test. I told the rep on the phone I knew of others in LA with same issue. He asked how I knew. Funny!"

mkjayakumar said:
I will be called to return to the dealership for the update to be installed

You mean they don't do 'Over the air' updates ?. Thats odd.

:)

This M/B problem most likely requires a module firmware reflash. That process requires that it be
done when the vehicle is at a dealer. The OTA updates done by Tesla are only done to the software,
i.e. that which loads each time the vehicle powers-up, and it's only for the UI app. Most likely none of
the control modules' firmware, e.g. ABS or motor controller are reflashed OTA.

Yes, OTA firmware updates could be done like what occurs for IOS or Android, but those OS reflashes
are not for actual interface controllers or hardware functionality like when one 'roots' a device.
Besides, if the M/B problem hasn't been fully identified, the solution may require engineering tweaking
and interaction, i.e. a number of iterations, before the problem is fully resolved.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the specs tab http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33640&id=35207&id=35247&id=34699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows the Mercedes B-Class ED is classified as a midsize car, like the Leaf, but it has slightly less passenger and cargo volume than the Leaf.

redLEAF said:
EPA is posting only 3 miles more total range on the MBZ - B-class ED as well as the LEAF beats both the i3 and B-class on total range ... not saying it's right or wrong as YMMV but this puts a damper on expecting much more range even with a larger battery (but heavier as well) EV. No mention of 'range extender' but it's not supposed to be used on a regular basis anyway so was not included in calculations.

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35207&id=35247&id=34699&id=34775

It's still of interest to me but perhaps less so now that Nissan will sell us replacement batteries post warranty --- as these start to roll out in the zero emissions states it will be good to see some 'real world' range numbers. The smart ED I was originally considering is rated at 68 miles of total range by the EPA --- this is indeed 'conservative' as one I tested last weekend had an indicated 60 miles of range showing at 80% charge (or about 75 miles at full charge if you can believe the GOM) ... as always, would expect better range during moderate temps.

In searching for someone who might have started a personal ownership blog on this car I came across this video review from one of my favorite pundits on CNET Brian Cooley (love him or leave him, he doesn't typically hold back)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc4lXBwxUZ4[/youtube]

Yes, already posted, it's interesting that the B-class is actually a bit shorter in length (171.61 in) versus LEAF (175 in) and B-class is only marginally taller (61.2 in) versus LEAF (61 in) … big difference in width though B-class (79.1 in) versus LEAF (69.7 in) but I think the width of the B-class on the MBZ site includes the mirrors as the edmunds site lists it at 70.3 inches which also matches another spec that appears to simply be with of the car itself according to MBZ. That 'with mirrors' stat is good to see if it will clear the garage without having to fold them --- some older garages are really tight.

Back