Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Has Kia said anything about pricing or availability or replacement packs? Or are they just as bad as Nissan in this regard?

No car company is going to announce the prices of the expensive parts (motors, transmissions, etc) of their car with its launch. It would just be warranteed.

Saving souls in a Soul in Seoul
http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/kia-soul-gets-a-blessing-from-pope-francis-during-korean-visit-1.9057953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe next time it will be the EV version.

Saw a blue one with carpool stickers and CA plates in Tustin the other day.. Today saw a white one with MI plates and carpool stickers at the DCQC in SJC. Asked the driver about it.. No idea when it would be on sale but said it was a great car.. Of course.

GregH said:
Saw a blue one with carpool stickers and CA plates in Tustin the other day.. Today saw a white one with MI plates and carpool stickers at the DCQC in SJC. Asked the driver about it.. No idea when it would be on sale but said it was a great car.. Of course.
You mean that you're not taking the word of an employee as gospel truth? I'm shocked, shocked! ;)

From about a month ago ...

http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-coming-us-fall-snazzy-new-color-choice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kia plans on producing about 5,000 Soul EVs for the 2015 model year (video of production and from its debut in Geneva below), with the bulk of those headed to the US. The Kia Soul EV also goes on sale shortly in Canada. Pricing is expected to be just higher than a decently equipped Nissan LEAF.

So, even if we think 4k souls are headed to US - that still puts it somewhere in the 10% of Leaf mark. I think it is safe to assume, we'll see Soul's sales be similar to that of i3, little more than FFE. If only 2.5k are headed to US, Soul sales will be like FFE's.

evnow said:
From about a month ago ...

http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-coming-us-fall-snazzy-new-color-choice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kia plans on producing about 5,000 Soul EVs for the 2015 model year (video of production and from its debut in Geneva below), with the bulk of those headed to the US. The Kia Soul EV also goes on sale shortly in Canada. Pricing is expected to be just higher than a decently equipped Nissan LEAF.
So, even if we think 4k souls are headed to US - that still puts it somewhere in the 10% of Leaf mark. I think it is safe to assume, we'll see Soul's sales be similar to that of i3, little more than FFE. If only 2.5k are headed to US, Soul sales will be like FFE's.
We'll have to see if they're willing (and need) to scale up if demand exists. I know if I lived in a cold climate I'd definitely opt for the Soul over the LEAF, AOTBE. I can't remember what kind of cooling the Soul has, so don't know if it would be at an advantage in hot climates also. Of course, we'll also see VW and others taking sales from Nissan, but the Soul will be the first competitor which has all the LEAF's main features and adds valuable extras, for about the same price.

GRA said:
Of course, we'll also see VW and others taking sales from Nissan, but the Soul will be the first competitor which has all the LEAF's main features and adds valuable extras, for about the same price.
Has the price been announced ?

It is going to be difficult for anyone to compete with Nissan on price in volumes. For that they'd have to be fairly well integrated and have a long term vision & plan.

This is the reason we don't have a competitor to Leaf - and won't for sometime. Reminds me of all those prius killers over the last decade.

evnow said:
GRA said:
Of course, we'll also see VW and others taking sales from Nissan, but the Soul will be the first competitor which has all the LEAF's main features and adds valuable extras, for about the same price.
Has the price been announced ?

It is going to be difficult for anyone to compete with Nissan on price in volumes. For that they'd have to be fairly well integrated and have a long term vision & plan.

This is the reason we don't have a competitor to Leaf - and won't for sometime. Reminds me of all those prius killers over the last decade.
You were the one quoting from the insideevs article which said "Pricing is expected to be just higher than a decently equipped Nissan LEAF." As for your second point, Hyundai/Kia have been out-competing Toyota, Honda and Nissan on price for years, and AFAIK they retain their advantage of lower labor costs, so I'm not at all as certain as you are that they can't compete. They may decide not to, but that would seem an odd choice if they need to meet CARB ZEV quotas in the not too distant future, 2018 at the latest. I'm not sure if Hyundai and Kia count for one corporation or not for CARB.

GRA said:
As for your second point, Hyundai/Kia have been out-competing Toyota, Honda and Nissan on price for years, and AFAIK they retain their advantage of lower labor costs, so I'm not at all as certain as you are that they can't compete. They may decide not to, but that would seem an odd choice if they need to meet CARB ZEV quotas in the not too distant future, 2018 at the latest. I'm not sure if Hyundai and Kia count for one corporation or not for CARB.
They have to price lower because they are thought to be not as good.

As for carb, they have to sell a small number of BEV or even fewer fcev.

GRA said:
... if they need to meet CARB ZEV quotas in the not too distant future, 2018 at the latest. I'm not sure if Hyundai and Kia count for one corporation or not for CARB.

Starting in 2012, the "Large Vehicle Manufacturers" must sell a minimum number of California Air Resources Board - Zero Emission Vehicle (CARB-ZEV) qualifying vehicles for compliance in California:

• Manufacturer - ZEV used for compliance:

Ford - Focus EV
    Honda - Fit EV
    Chrysler/Fiat - 500e
    Toyota - Rav4 EV, iQ EV
    GM Chevrolet - Spark EV
    Nissan - LEAF

For model years 2015 and beyond:

• BMW - i3
    Fiat/Chrysler - 500e
    Ford - Focus EV, hydrogen by 2018?
    General Motors - Spark EV, potential "200 mile EV moon-shot", hydrogen by 2018?
    Honda - absolutley hydrogen
    Hyundai - absolutley hydrogen
    Kia - Soul EV
    Mazda - Demio EV
    Daimler/Mercedes - B-Class ED, Smart ED, hydrogen by 2018
    Nissan - LEAF, eNV-2000
    Toyota - absolutley hydrogen
    Volkswagen - eGolf

Four additional manufacturers would also be required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but would be allowed to meet their obligation with Plug-In Hybrids (PHEV).

Model Year - ZEV Credit Percent Requirement

2012 ------------ 0.79%
2018 ------------ 2.00%
2019 ------------ 4.00%
2020 ------------ 6.00%
2021 ------------ 8.00%
2022 ----------- 10.00%
2023 ----------- 12.00%
2024 ----------- 14.00%
2025 ----------- 16.00%

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
... if they need to meet CARB ZEV quotas in the not too distant future, 2018 at the latest. I'm not sure if Hyundai and Kia count for one corporation or not for CARB.

Starting in 2012, the "Large Vehicle Manufacturers" must sell a minimum number of California Air Resources Board - Zero Emission Vehicle (CARB-ZEV) qualifying vehicles for compliance in California:

• Manufacturer - ZEV used for compliance:

Ford - Focus EV
    Honda - Fit EV
    Chrysler/Fiat - 500e
    Toyota - Rav4 EV, iQ EV
    GM Chevrolet - Spark EV
    Nissan - LEAF

For model years 2015 and beyond:

• BMW - i3
    Fiat/Chrysler - 500e
    Ford - Focus EV, hydrogen by 2018?
    General Motors - Spark EV, potential "200 mile EV moon-shot", hydrogen by 2018?
    Honda - absolutley hydrogen
    Hyundai - absolutley hydrogen
    Kia - Soul EV
    Mazda - Demio EV
    Daimler/Mercedes - B-Class ED, Smart ED, hydrogen by 2018
    Nissan - LEAF, eNV-2000
    Toyota - absolutley hydrogen
    Volkswagen - eGolf

Four additional manufacturers would also be required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but would be allowed to meet their obligation with Plug-In Hybrids (PHEV).

Model Year - ZEV Credit Percent Requirement

2012 ------------ 0.79%
2018 ------------ 2.00%
2019 ------------ 4.00%
2020 ------------ 6.00%
2021 ------------ 8.00%
2022 ----------- 10.00%
2023 ----------- 12.00%
2024 ----------- 14.00%
2025 ----------- 16.00%

lot of hydrogen there. interesting to see if they can get traction if its all concentrated in one area? but even if they could, the likelihood they could expand won't happen unless they can get someone to pony up about trillion dollars to support distribution

BTW, they can still trade credits. Hyundai and Kia being sister companies, if Hyundai can lease enough FCEV for both companies, they can satisfy carb needs by internal transfer of credits.

evnow said:
BTW, they can still trade credits. Hyundai and Kia being sister companies, if Hyundai can lease enough FCEV for both companies, they can satisfy carb needs by internal transfer of credits.
That's the question that I was asking, and Tony's post doesn't answer as we already knew that Hyundai and Kia were taking different approaches. Are they considered sister companies of the same corporation like GM divisions or maybe Fiat/Chrysler, or are they treated as two different companies by CARB? I'm not familiar with the exact terms of their alliance, so does anyone know if it more resembles Fiat/Chrysler or the Nissan-Renault alliance?

GRA said:
That's the question that I was asking, and Tony's post doesn't answer as we already knew that Hyundai and Kia were taking different approaches. Are they considered sister companies of the same corporation like GM divisions or maybe Fiat/Chrysler, or are they treated as two different companies by CARB? I'm not familiar with the exact terms of their alliance, so does anyone know if it more resembles Fiat/Chrysler or the Nissan-Renault alliance?
I'd guess they will simply go by legal company registration i.e. different companies as for as different companies. But they can trade credits and allocate needed credits to each company - that is all CARB cares for.

Kia and Hyundai are separate entities, but Hyundai owns a third of Kia. It's a little different comparing Chevrolet/Buick/GMC/Cadillac, since those are brands/divisions that are 100% owned and controlled by GM.

GRA said:
evnow said:
Right - they are more like Nissan Renault than Chevy and Cadillac.
What I figured, but how does CARB look at them, i.e. do they apportion ZEV requirements individually or jointly?
I'd guess separately- but as I wrote they can trade needed credits.

evnow said:
GRA said:
evnow said:
Right - they are more like Nissan Renault than Chevy and Cadillac.
What I figured, but how does CARB look at them, i.e. do they apportion ZEV requirements individually or jointly?
I'd guess separately- but as I wrote they can trade needed credits.
Hyundai and Kia look like they're separately treated based upon http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevcredits/2012zevcredits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Back