Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
TonyWilliams said:
Try other places. No change in mine from last year.

After many years with USAA I switched to Allstate last year; even before I got the Leaf USAA just wasn't competitive. Allstate gave me what I thought was a reasonable rate on the Leaf considering insurance here in S FL is pretty high with all the UIM. I'm a little concerned going forward though that rates will skyrocket as shops don't know how to fix the Leaf and the tendency is to total it for damage levels that wouldn't be on other cars.

TonyWilliams said:
Boomer23 said:
TonyWilliams said:
My LEAF just doubled in insurance cost. It now costs more to insure than our 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible.
Arghh! What company, Tony?
USAA.
We also have USAA and our's just (end of February) went down. Of course, the cost is a function of many variables, but such a divergence is perplexing.

LTLFTcomposite said:
evnow said:
TonyWilliams said:
Try other places. No change in mine from last year.

After many years with USAA I switched to Allstate last year; even before I got the Leaf USAA just wasn't competitive. Allstate gave me what I thought was a reasonable rate on the Leaf considering insurance here in S FL is pretty high with all the UIM. I'm a little concerned going forward though that rates will skyrocket as shops don't know how to fix the Leaf and the tendency is to total it for damage levels that wouldn't be on other cars.

My little repair was over $10k, and parts have taken 3 weeks to arrive, and they are just now beginning to do the work. Fortunately I have my Prius as a backup and I don't have a rental car, but others may not, and this only adds to the costs. If mine is typical, and I believe it is, that is why insurance is going up. Until the parts are more readily available and at a more reasonable price, were going to see insurance going up I'm afraid.

I had no claims on the LEAF, but I did update my mileage to 24,000 miles per year, which should have increased the rate somewhat. I was paying under $400, and now it's over $800. I think they originally just thought of it as an economy car, and now know that it's a cash pig for parts.

We did, however, have a claim on the other car that my S.O. was driving (and paid by the other driver's insurance).

We've been with USAA for about 25 years. I doubt we'll change for this one issue, as I find value in the overall experience.

TonyWilliams said:
I had no claims on the LEAF, but I did update my mileage to 24,000 miles per year, which should have increased the rate somewhat. I was paying under $400, and now it's over $800.
I misspoke earlier. Our USAA total bill did go down, but the LEAF went up $7 to $509 every 6 months. We are holding very close to the estimated 15,000 LEAF miles/year. The other cars are a 2001 Avalon and a 2008 Civic.

Write up in green car reports:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075517_2012-ford-focus-electric-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd said:
I wonder how Ed Begley Jr feels now about backing Ford instead of Nissan. I assume he is one of the three people who actually took delivery.

http://www.plugincars.com/ed-begley-jr-becomes-ford-ev-hitman-106656.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty strange to see marketing aimed at taking away sales from other EV's rather then marketing to take away share from the ICE market (which is 1000x bigger)

LakeLeaf said:
palmermd said:
I wonder how Ed Begley Jr feels now about backing Ford instead of Nissan. I assume he is one of the three people who actually took delivery.

http://www.plugincars.com/ed-begley-jr-becomes-ford-ev-hitman-106656.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty strange to see marketing aimed at taking away sales from other EV's rather then marketing to take away share from the ICE market (which is 1000x bigger)

It's the same as asking for ICE marketing to not compete with other ICE, but to aim only at bicyclists and pedestrians in China and India. EVs and ICEs have different characteristics, and to most people EVs seem to be inferior while more expensive... So I totally see why EV manufacturers would be competing for people that can potentially buy EVs, not for people who can potentially buy any car, that way the marketing would be much more efficient. I agree that it is short term vision and stuff, but people are working for companies that above all try to make money.

I do like what Nissan is doing by promoting EVs vs ICE, but what I would like to see is combined efforts of all manufacturers to develop the market, that will benefit everybody.

I'm afraid that with pragmatic approach other companies will try to make use of what lets say Nissan or any other single company is doing (trying to develop the market) and Nissan will buckle up and will stop doing that, which will result in very small (comparative to ICE) niche market for EVs, stuck in the loop where high prices will prevent market development and small market will keep prices high to keep the EV production afloat.

mitch672 said:
Write up in green car reports:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075517_2012-ford-focus-electric-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty positive overall. Sounds like they considered it pretty sporty and liked the brakes.

On the road, the 2012 Focus Electric is easy and predictable to drive. And while it's hardly a hot hatch, it has a sportier character than the occasionally bland, appliance-like Leaf.

It's clearly heavier than a gasoline Focus, which makes it feel clearly planted on the road. Pickup is good away from stops, but we occasionally wished for more mid-range torque in the 35-to-60-mph range--trying to get out of a cluster of slow-moving cars, for instance.

Some reviewers have criticized the feel of the generative braking, but we found it fine. It blends nicely, while remaining fairly aggressive for efficiency.

kinda hate to say it, but looks like Ford's best plug will be on the Fusion Energi. it is basically taking the best mid size hybrid and providing much more powertrain options ala the Prius family expansion

LakeLeaf said:
palmermd said:

The Ad seemed mostly directed at telling people Ford is a "one stop" shop for "EV's". Nissan does EV, GM does Plug in Hybrid, Toyota does Hybrid but we at Ford do them all! The opinion of this marketing strategy all depends on if you view commitment as a liability or an advantage. Being a fan of pure BEV I will naturally cheer for those most committed to developing that technology.

TRONZ said:
The Ad seemed mostly directed at telling people Ford is a "one stop" shop for "EV's". Nissan does EV, GM does Plug in Hybrid, Toyota does Hybrid but we at Ford do them all! The opinion of this marketing strategy all depends on if you view commitment as a liability or an advantage.
The strange thing about the ad is it highlights what Ford think of the strategy internally rather than what is there for the customer.

A customer interested in a particular type of "electrification" - couldn't care less whether the manufacturer has various types or just one type. He wants the best value for his/her money.

Being that I bought my 2011 at 2011 prices, I'm very happy. If I were looking at getting a LEAF today, I would definitely not be looking at the SL nor the FFE - I'm juts not ready to spend that kind of cash with the current tech.

On another note, I'm glad I read the Green Car Reports review because it had a link to a new Nissan LEAF adverts:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feSPRV-NeY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7vgVaYPO3o[/youtube]

evnow said:
TRONZ said:
The Ad seemed mostly directed at telling people Ford is a "one stop" shop for "EV's". Nissan does EV, GM does Plug in Hybrid, Toyota does Hybrid but we at Ford do them all! The opinion of this marketing strategy all depends on if you view commitment as a liability or an advantage.
The strange thing about the ad is it highlights what Ford think of the strategy internally rather than what is there for the customer.

A customer interested in a particular type of "electrification" - couldn't care less whether the manufacturer has various types or just one type. He wants the best value for his/her money.

Agree! It seems typical that American car manufacturers place a much greater emphasis on branding and marketing than on the technology and performance of their product. To benefit the customer on a daily basis, these priorities should be reversed.

EricBayArea said:
Being that I bought my 2011 at 2011 prices, I'm very happy. If I were looking at getting a LEAF today, I would definitely not be looking at the SL nor the FFE - I'm juts not ready to spend that kind of cash with the current tech.

On another note, I'm glad I read the Green Car Reports review because it had a link to a new Nissan LEAF adverts:
Bash, Flimshaw! Celebrities indeed! Why not that girl from Who's The Boss or Mr. Devito? Meph. Bring back the polar bear!

Ford has an FFE configurator up now, with exterior colors, pricing, etc. Looking at the pictures, it appears to me that they have reduced the size of the front grille.

http://bp3.ford.com/2012-Ford-Focus#/Models/Tech%5BTechnology:_136A620D9D9D0131D31A104200000000%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23 said:
KeiJidosha said:

Surprisingly little about handling and driving dynamics for a performance oriented magazine.

Besides the kids that drove the FFE from the New York Auto Show to Santa Monica Pier yesterday,

http://blogs.menshealth.com/man-and-machine/how-to-follow-the-road-trip/2012/04/11/

I don’t know that any journalist has had more than 10 minutes in city traffic to drive it.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/take-ride-2012-ford-focus-electric/9742-1_53-50123256.html

All “First Drive Reviews” are from the NYAS that I know of. Car mags usually won’t list data until they get to instrument the drive. Impressions seem lukewarm to me. Several future owners in New York and California have a VIN number and are awaiting delivery, so more info soon?

Boomer23 said:
Ford has an FFE configurator up now, with exterior colors, pricing, etc. Looking at the pictures, it appears to me that they have reduced the size of the front grille.

http://bp3.ford.com/2012-Ford-Focus#/Models/Tech%5BTechnology:_136A620D9D9D0131D31A104200000000%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lease is $516/mo for 36 months with $0 buydown and $1,108 due at signing. Includes 10,500 annual miles, and no mention of maintenance included.

I agree grill looks Aston Martin DB9, and smaller.

Back