Official Ford C-MAX Energi PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
if i had to guess, i would say that the C-Max Energi will go for $43,000. iow, MORE than a Volt
You didn't read my post - Ford is selling Energi for 33,745. After tax credit it is $30k. Slightly less than PIP & quite a bit less than the Volt.

The highest trim adds some 2,500 - and includes active park assist. Even the base is well optioned (only missing item for me is the Nav).

Still, as I was saying, Ford will only get 3,800 in tax credit instead of 7,500 because of smaller battery. That makes Volt just 2K more than Energi - but with double the EV range.

still a better deal than a PIP and LOTS more room than a Volt, a good choice for families. The series is based on the Focus platform. I sure hope the batteries are cooled by chilled air for the sake of Arizonians.

That $43K would have been a poor guess, knowing that the C-Max Energi wasn't intended to be an (expensive) Volt-like "serial" Hybrid with ~40 miles of EV range. Prius Plug-in was always the target competitor. I like it. Of course, the masses will still buy the mighty Prius brand over this no matter how competitive it is. ;-)

easy to see why the Escape Hybrid is no longer offered. the C-Max is the same size and gets way more mileage. the hybrid is rated 47 mpg so C-Max will potentially get much more.

the the Energi is heavier so it probably wont get 47 mpg in long trips but its a much bigger car than the Volt. all these specs have me very skeptical

I like it... A very compeditive price.

I'm still in shopping mode for another year or so. The C-MAX Energi is going to be compaired/contrasted to the Leaf.

Volt is out of the running... I simply need five seats.

P71VIC said:

I'm still in shopping mode for another year or so. The C-MAX Energi is going to be compaired/contrasted to the Leaf.

C-Max is not a car, its a crossover/mini SUV. not even comparable to the Volt. check out its interior Space verses an Escape. the hybrid is slightly larger, the Energi only slightly smaller. 42.8 cu feet with back seats folded is DEFINITELY not in the Volt category

Still waiting for 'real' road tests for either the C-Max hybrid or Energi; the Euro ICE version has sold well over there but need to see how they handle, ride, etc. Have seen both at auto shows but of course locked up versions like the Focus EV. Seems to be 'right sized' and this expected selling price is decent, let's just see a few on the road ... hybrid is coming first anyways.

EDIT: did a quick new inventory look up on autotrader and they show about 6 new C-Max hybrids in stock in the 'burbs of Chicago already, not sure if these are customer cars but with this many should have at least one that could be a demo, we'll see ... for those interested it was Arlington Heights Ford. At least would get the look and feel of the car, the plug-in looses a few cubic feet of storage but otherwise should be quite similar.

EDIT TWO: as with other car makes, these are just 'in coming' and not in stock yet, did a national search and some dealer's added expected delivery in early August --- I also altered my way into work today to take a closer look and did not see one C-Max on their lot

evnow said:
Still, as I was saying, Ford will only get 3,800 in tax credit instead of 7,500 because of smaller battery. That makes Volt just 2K more than Energi - but with double the EV range.
Yes - I wonder if GM will wise up and stick the next-gen Volt drivetrain in a slightly larger vehicle.

Anyone else notice how much of a porker the C-MAX hybrid and energi are?

Base Curb Weight for the hybrid is listed as 4641 lbs and the Energi 4960 lbs... That can't be right???

I mean, the Prius plug-in is 3165 lbs and the Prius V is 3274 lbs... I can't imagine that the curb weight for the Energi is so much more... Even the Volt with twice the battery is only 3781 lbs - I have to imagine that it's a misprint and those are gross weights...

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/specifications/view-all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other intersting tidbits on the spec page:

Hybrid model is rated 47/47/47 mpg - so expect the Energi to match those numbers.
Battery Peak discharge rate is 68 kW and max EV speed is 85 mpg. Should stay in EV mode much better than the Prius plug-in. In comparison, the PiP max power output is 38 kW in EV mode and top speed is 62 mph.

With the cars basically the same price, there really is no reason to go with the PiP over the C-Max energi - On paper, the C-Max is better in every way - price, interior room, EV performance with just a slight hit in fuel economy (47 mpg instead of 50 mpg, really negligible). Now if only we can explain the huge curb weight...

Edit: looks like Ford's web site is off by 1000 lbs - Ford's PDF cut sheet has them listed as 3682 lbs and 3985 lbs. Better, but still quite heavy considering...

If the Energi and FFE were out in Arizona, I would go and trade out Fit and Leaf in today. We spend a lot of time in England, and I've always loved the look of European Fords, and I find both cars to be handsome. Does anyone have experience with their SYNC system and an iPhone? I'm curious to know how they mesh together.

drees said:
Hybrid model is rated 47/47/47 mpg - so expect the Energi to match those numbers.
Battery Peak discharge rate is 68 kW and max EV speed is 85 mpg. Should stay in EV mode much better than the Prius plug-in. In comparison, the PiP max power output is 38 kW in EV mode and top speed is 62 mph.
That 85 mph looks really good. That cuts the argument many had againast it (esp. the Volt fans).

Cargo volume at 19.1 cu.ft. is actually a little less than the 21.6 cu ft of PIP (and 23 of Leaf). We will have to take a look at it - my wife might reject Energi because of this. Ford Escape Hybrid had a cargo space of 30 cu ft in comparison.

Herm said:
Ford might be dry-spinning the engine to reach 85mph.. so not good from a range point of view.
I think this is useful for those with a short freeway ride (no gas used) or even for someone with primarily a freeway commute (so that part of the way is electric).

Ofcourse higher speed reduces range ...

jspearman said:
If the Energi and FFE were out in Arizona, I would go and trade out Fit and Leaf in today. We spend a lot of time in England, and I've always loved the look of European Fords, and I find both cars to be handsome. Does anyone have experience with their SYNC system and an iPhone? I'm curious to know how they mesh together.

Sync is 1,000,000 times better than the LEAF. Ford did an amazing job with the sync system. I just wish Nissan would take notes.

evnow said:
drees said:
That 85 mph looks really good. That cuts the argument many had againast it (esp. the Volt fans).

Cargo volume at 19.1 cu.ft. is actually a little less than the 21.6 cu ft of PIP (and 23 of Leaf). We will have to take a look at it - my wife might reject Energi because of this. Ford Escape Hybrid had a cargo space of 30 cu ft in comparison.

ya, i was thinking C-Max was nearly the same size as the Escape but getting "mixed" information here between various sources. like the "5,000 lb" Energi being suspect, now not so sure what is correct.

evnow said:
drees said:

68kW is still weak. It's weak compared to the Leaf @ 80, it's really weak compared to the Volt @ 111kW but it's stronger than the i-MiEV @ 49 :lol: So, it'll be even slower than a Leaf unless you use the gas engine. Range is another weak point. We'd burn a lot of gas on a daily basis with it (our Volt is 95% electric). The FCME is better than the PiP, but so is a Segway ;) Meh, not impressed. If they'd made it an EREV or forgone the engine I'd be interested.

I guess if you were considering a PiP you'd probably jump.

DaveinOlyWA said:
P71VIC said:

C-Max is not a car, its a crossover/mini SUV. not even comparable to the Volt. check out its interior Space verses an Escape. the hybrid is slightly larger, the Energi only slightly smaller. 42.8 cu feet with back seats folded is DEFINITELY not in the Volt category

When did I say anything was or was not a car? I'm looking at either a full or partial electric vehicle for my next purchase. I need it to have five seats as I have two kids currently and there is possibillty of a third some day. My next car needs to be able to make the trip to daycare/sitters before work and/or after work.

I am not as concerned about luggage space, as we will keep another vehicle for distance trips.

P71VIC said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
P71VIC said:

When did I say anything was or was not a car? I'm looking at either a full or partial electric vehicle for my next purchase. I need it to have five seats as I have two kids currently and there is possibillty of a third some day. My next car needs to be able to make the trip to daycare/sitters before work and/or after work.

I am not as concerned about luggage space, as we will keep another vehicle for distance trips.

Some of the auto pundits are comparing the C-Max to the mini minivan Mazda5 w/o the sliding doors but I think that's the 7-passenger one that's not coming here, this 5-passenger is smaller/shorter ... you'll definitely lose luggage space with the plug-in Energi version as there is an extra carpet covered hump for the batteries (similar to the Focus EV); still need to see it up close with the hatch open to get a better idea. It's encouraging to at least see that Ford has the order pipeline going for the C-Max Hybrid, as well as pricing for both online now. With a 20 mile EV capacity, could make 2/3 of the way round trip on my own commute and the wife would make it R/T on hers, no bad ... need the flexibility for long trips as well as enjoy the gas free aspect. The only other similar crossover-like plug-in coming besides this C-Max is the '13 Mitsu Outlander Sport plug-in (a very small SUV) but this should arrive sooner

Back