Official Ford C-MAX Energi PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abasile said:
My guess is that the Energi partly explains last month's drop in Volt sales.

have to agree with both you and EV Now. pretty sure both the much lower price of the Energi and the Volt incentives going away plus a possible Volt shortage is all playing small parts in the drop

evnow said:
Statik said:
Your orginal assumptions are correct...my apologies on not getting that fixed before publishing.

One of the car sales guys here told me there are practically no Energis on the left coast. Who know I could trust him !

Unfortunately, it looks like west coast won't be getting Energis until Jan/Feb. Whenver they do, from then on, my guess is Energi will be the highest selling plugin for a few months ...

I can't seem to find any on the right coast either, although you can order them if you wanted. Ford keeps coming close in their plug-in offers, but in the end both the Focus Electric and C-Max Energi left me wanting. The Fusion Energi is a non-starter on price alone.

Following the discussions on http://mycmaxenergi.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it seems that the C-Max Energi is disappointing consumers. It seems to meet neither its rated AER nor its CS MPG in the real world. Compare that to the Volt which seems to be exceeding both metrics regularly. I think this will apply a downward pressure on Energi sales in the near future (within a year).

evnow said:
Statik said:
Your orginal assumptions are correct...my apologies on not getting that fixed before publishing.

One of the car sales guys here told me there are practically no Energis on the left coast. Who knew I could trust him !

Unfortunately, it looks like west coast won't be getting Energis until Jan/Feb. When we do, from then on, my guess is Energi will be the highest selling plugin for a few months ...

autotrader shows 5 Energi's within 20 miles of zip 98122 Seattle ... just a matter of time before more show up

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...howcaseOwnerId=71257&captureSearch=true&Log=0

GetOffYourGas said:
evnow said:
Statik said:

One of the car sales guys here told me there are practically no Energis on the left coast. Who know I could trust him !

Unfortunately, it looks like west coast won't be getting Energis until Jan/Feb. Whenver they do, from then on, my guess is Energi will be the highest selling plugin for a few months ...

I can't seem to find any on the right coast either, although you can order them if you wanted. Ford keeps coming close in their plug-in offers, but in the end both the Focus Electric and C-Max Energi left me wanting. The Fusion Energi is a non-starter on price alone.

Following the discussions on fordcmaxenergiforum.com, it seems that the C-Max Energi is disappointing consumers. It seems to meet neither its rated AER nor its CS MPG in the real world. Compare that to the Volt which seems to be exceeding both metrics regularly. I think this will apply a downward pressure on Energi sales in the near future (within a year).

same forum shows that some new owners are still getting used to their C-Max Hybrid's as its the first hybrid they've owned to get close to the 47 EPA MPG estimates but many have been successful as of late as the car gets broken in; Energi sold even fewer units as well as its a plug-in, etc. so would assume a longer learning curve as well; not defending it but can still recall 'learning' the best way to get the most out of my LEAF so would assume the same for some but not all of these folks (especially if they came from a Prius before the C-Max)

GetOffYourGas said:
Following the discussions on fordcmaxenergiforum.com, it seems that the C-Max Energi is disappointing consumers. It seems to meet neither its rated AER nor its CS MPG in the real world. Compare that to the Volt which seems to be exceeding both metrics regularly. I think this will apply a downward pressure on Energi sales in the near future (within a year).
I read many of the posts - I'm going to wait till someone with previous EV can comment on the EV range.

On the CS MPG, it seems clear the worse CD on Energi will make it more speed dependent than Prius.

GetOffYourGas said:

I followed your link to the forum, but from what I read there, the folks are just feeling out the cars' performance and mpg on first tanks, first 1,000 miles, etc, but I didn't see any general trend toward disappointment in the cars. Can you link to a specific thread that you consider showing owner disappointment? Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering whether we're reading the same pages. Thanx!

GetOffYourGas said:
The dealer in Georgia said that GE had placed a fleet order for 2000 of them, so it would be a while (couple of months, i think) before they had stock to sell, but they would take orders in the meantime.

From the Energi forum, here are some cargo area numbers.

WxHxD = 39x23x29

Out of that 23" height, 11" are below the cargo cover.

In contrast, our current CUV (Santa Fe) has 45x32x36. I find it difficult to see how the move to Energi could happen ...

evnow said:
From the Energi forum, here are some cargo area numbers.

WxHxD = 39x23x29

Out of that 23" height, 11" are below the cargo cover.

In contrast, our current CUV (Santa Fe) has 45x32x36. I find it difficult to see how the move to Energi could happen ...

For the storage aspect and other reasons, we might have considered a C-Max hybrid or Energi if the LEAF weren't originally available when we bought it (as it offered a bit more room) but went in a totally different direction for a replacement of our '09 VW Routan that's been mentioned on this thread as of course we already own a LEAF; turns out that either hybrid or Energi C-Max has a hard and uncomfortable rear seat that was also a stretch to fit 3 adults across even for short trips and as that along with a decent cargo hold was at the top of our list as well as a long-distance cruiser we passed. We also are probably going to 'get back' our smart passion coupe for my wife's use and the LEAF will become my (almost) main commuter after my son gets his own car this coming late spring. The two C-Max' I drove had quite decent front seats (heated on both of the ones I drove) so as a commuter or just for one or two people it's probably fine but the way Ford designed that back seat to save weight and room detracts from an otherwise decent design. The addition of the extra weight and loss of cargo space with the 20 mile battery doesn't seem to deter some from buying it based on last month's sales but its just doesn't work for me. What is interesting though is that several new C-Max owner's are reporting actual mileage all over the board but again many of these being driven are still getting broken-in; many see it as a challenge not unlike maxing out what the LEAF will run on a single charge ...

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/288-c-max-fuel-mileage-what-are-you-getting/page-3

redLEAF said:
What is interesting though is that several new C-Max owner's are reporting actual mileage all over the board but again many of these being driven are still getting broken-in; many see it as a challenge not unlike maxing out what the LEAF will run on a single charge ...

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/288-c-max-fuel-mileage-what-are-you-getting/page-3
To me, getting EPA rated mileage (or Range) should be easily doable under moderate driving conditions. If one had to hupermile just to get the EPA rating, the ratings are broken.

evnow said:
redLEAF said:
What is interesting though is that several new C-Max owner's are reporting actual mileage all over the board but again many of these being driven are still getting broken-in; many see it as a challenge not unlike maxing out what the LEAF will run on a single charge ...

To me, getting EPA rated mileage (or Range) should be easily doable under moderate driving conditions. If one had to hupermile just to get the EPA rating, the ratings are broken.

+1
my "50 mpg" Prius i can easily get near 60 mpg by simply driving 58 mph on the freeway...nothing else. that is how easy it is to beat EPA.

Split off speed related posts to a new thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
Anyone lease or looking to lease an Energi and wondering what kind of pricing you are getting?
I was checking on the Ford site. The leases don't look that attractive ...

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Anyone lease or looking to lease an Energi and wondering what kind of pricing you are getting?

ya figures. didnt think Ford would be a motivated plug provider. am in the market for something...

DaveinOlyWA said:
evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

ya figures. didnt think Ford would be a motivated plug provider. am in the market for something...

The CMax and CMax Energi's seem to be selling way beyond what was expected. I doubt we'll see any ultra cheap leases like on the Leaf and Volt anytime soon. The Leaf and Volt sell way below expectations which forced the cheap leases. The Focus EV has some good leases though.

Saw my first C-Max in the wild yesterday. Too far away to read the badges and determine whether it was a regular hybrid or Energi. Decent looking car, although as someone who drives a Forester my requirements in that line are pretty minimal.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Apparently still good Volt lease deals. Check gm-volt forum ...

3995 down 10k lease 199 plus tax,, still available at KEYES CHEVY

rick
818 231 1286

Ford sold 971 Energis in December (down from 1,259 in Nov). Still no Energis at Seattle area dealers ...

I realize that this is a C-MAX Energi thread (and I'm a Ford fan) ... just wanted to add below to EVNow (mod) post about text only.
evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Apparently still good Volt lease deals. Check gm-volt forum ...
3995 down 10k lease 199 plus tax,, still available at KEYES CHEVY rick 818 231 1286
Rick just wants phone text only per his post. LOTs of positive comments about him/them on the forum. I know nothing other than what I read. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?19913-2500.00-back-of-Invoice-Plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2500.00 back of Invoice Plus. All rebates and Incentives. Just does not get easier then this !
Rick 818-231-1286 Please text only - 5 new ones just arrived

Back