Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered from Avondale. I am so glad I did, they knew how to get the order through quickly even when we did not have an answer from Etec. This whole thing is just crazy, but seems to be coming together.

Also posted in "ETEC application pending" thread:

Hopefully this update will be helpful. I'm one of the "eTec application pending" folks in San Diego who is waiting to order in September 2010.

This morning I had my home assessed by Baker Electric and was told that I would qualify for the free installation and home charging unit. :D My appointment was scheduled for 10am-noon and the guy performing the assessment arrived at 11. The assessment took about half an hour. Based on what he told me, Baker Electric has done about six or seven assessments in San Diego since they started on Monday.

I first asked him if my response of "detached garage" on the application is the reason why my application was pending. He told me that everyone who applies for the EV Project falls into one of maybe four or more different electrical configurations based on their application responses. His paperwork showed at least four different floor plans. As suspected, the EV Project assumes a "detached garage" is an isolated structure without any electricity set up. My detached garage, however, is essentially connected to my house and is completely wired. One look at my garage was enough for him to know that I would qualify.

He asked me about my internet connection (i.e., ISP, make of router/access point) and took a picture of my wireless access point which provides Internet access to the garage. He also took a picture of the electrical panel and the proposed location of the charger. The charger will be mounted on the wall and the charging cable will be 18' long. Apparently ECOtality will receive the results of my assessment within 48 hours and hopefully they will contact Nissan so that I can get the ball rolling with my order.

Will update again when my home assessment status changes on my dashboard and when I can finally place my order! Good luck everyone.

tzeweiu said:
Also posted in "ETEC application pending" thread:

Hopefully this update will be helpful. I'm one of the "eTec application pending" folks in San Diego who is waiting to order in September 2010.

This morning I had my home assessed by Baker Electric and was told that I would qualify for the free installation and home charging unit. :D My appointment was scheduled for 10am-noon and the guy performing the assessment arrived at 11. The assessment took about half an hour. Based on what he told me, Baker Electric has done about six or seven assessments in San Diego since they started on Monday.

I first asked him if my response of "detached garage" on the application is the reason why my application was pending. He told me that everyone who applies for the EV Project falls into one of maybe four or more different electrical configurations based on their application responses. His paperwork showed at least four different floor plans. As suspected, the EV Project assumes a "detached garage" is an isolated structure without any electricity set up. My detached garage, however, is essentially connected to my house and is completely wired. One look at my garage was enough for him to know that I would qualify.

He asked me about my internet connection (i.e., ISP, make of router/access point) and took a picture of my wireless access point which provides Internet access to the garage. He also took a picture of the electrical panel and the proposed location of the charger. The charger will be mounted on the wall and the charging cable will be 18' long. Apparently ECOtality will receive the results of my assessment within 48 hours and hopefully they will contact Nissan so that I can get the ball rolling with my order.

Will update again when my home assessment status changes on my dashboard and when I can finally place my order! Good luck everyone.

My dashboard was changed Sat. so I thought I would be able to order, but nothing yet. Now I'm wondering if there is anyone for Sept. that has "eTec approved" on their dashboard, but has not been able to order, like me.

Can someone post a screenshot of where you find "etec approved" on your dashboard. I ordered on 8/31 and was approved for the project but don't see that on my dashboard? Maybe i just don't know where to find it??

Timaz said:
Can someone post a screenshot of where you find "etec approved" on your dashboard. I ordered on 8/31 and was approved for the project but don't see that on my dashboard? Maybe i just don't know where to find it??

Actually it says, "eTec application accepted".

This is what mine looks like. I ordered on the 1st.

dash.png

turbo2ltr said:
This is what mine looks like. I ordered on the 1st.

dash.png

That's what mine looks like now too, but no email and no open dashboard. I just talked to CS and they told me that Sept. orders will go to the 30th, AND HI/TX will order starting in Oct. So it seems like they are behind, which could mean no cars in Dec. Oh, and they told me there are LOTS of people with Sept. ordering (but haven't been able to order yet) that have "eTec application accepted" on their dashboards in the five states.

leaffan said:
That's what mine looks like now too, but no email and no open dashboard. I just talked to CS and they told me that Sept. orders will go to the 30th, AND HI/TX will order starting in Oct. So it seems like they are behind, which could mean no cars in Dec. Oh, and they told me there are LOTS of people with Sept. ordering (but haven't been able to order yet) that have "eTec application accepted" on their dashboards in the five states.

Since you ordered at "4/20 3PM PDT" - I'd challenge the Nissan support saying "something is wrong. people who reserved after I did are being allowed to order, but not I".

Timaz, in the lower right corner of your account screen, it should say "your Nissan LEAF ETEC" next to the picture of the car. That means you're getting the EV Project model.

evnow said:
leaffan said:

Since you ordered at "4/20 3PM PDT" - I'd challenge the Nissan support saying "something is wrong. people who reserved after I did are being allowed to order, but not I".

I didn't order, but reserved on that date/time. What's wrong is, it became all screwed up with the charging station, EVP and AV. I'm sure that they put people down the list for ordering IF they didn't do their eTec questionnaire, or they didn't qualify right away. I didn't do it because I wanted to save time ordering, AND I had already done EVP's on their website in Nov. Who would have guessed that they couldn't find it even though a message popped up after filling it out that they would contact me later. So, finally, after I had to do another one, they called me on Aug. 17, telling me I was approved and no assesment was necessary. However, I had already been put lower on the ordering list, and evidently they couldn't or wouldn't change it once it was in the system, and have repeatedly assured me that because of that, I would keep my place in line by reservation date. But I'm wondering too, like you, if that's really true.

Timaz said:
I ordered from Avondale. I am so glad I did, they knew how to get the order through quickly even when we did not have an answer from Etec. This whole thing is just crazy, but seems to be coming together.
So you paid MSRP and think you got a good deal?

I am an EV Project Participant

The electrician contracted by EcoTality just completed my home assessment.

Everything looks fine. Proper service, proper capacity, within the spec for distances, etc.

Looks like everything is set for my charger install.

The really nice news is the contractor says that they try to make that the case for everyone, and if it's a bit outside the range for the included cost, they are willing to absorb the overage. They want this to be a pleasant experience for everyone involved. What a nice attitude. Bye the way, the assessor was terrific.

About a dozen questions, take a few pictures and done.

Gonewild said:
Timaz said:
So you paid MSRP and think you got a good deal?

The unfortunate thing about open forums is that shared information is sometimes judged by others in favorable and unfavorable fashion.

Look at the bigger picture and simply agree that we are taking a giant leap and becoming owners of the first generation Leaf.
There will be enough negative things said by others stuck inside the "ICE Box".

As far as buying at, under, or over MSRP, the kudos go to anyone who simply decides to participate.

Cheers

I am sure the install contractors are thinking on the average. Some installs are going to be easy,would cost less than the alloted amount, and some would go the other way. They would just rather take the standard for each job and keep everyone happy if an install would take a bit more than expected as it will all average out okay in the end.

Actually, Silverleaf is right. It's not the contractors who are making the decision to absorb overages; it's Ecotality. You want to know why? It's because they've been granted a certain amount of stimulus funding and they HAVE to spend it. Therefore they are actively looking for eligible participants, and bending the rules here and there to get more folks in. Kind of a weird/nice situation.

Gone wild, I actually received a little bit better deal than Msrp. I was happy with the service and happy to support our local economy. I did not feel very comfortable going out of state as I thought that may complicate things. I just wanted my leaf in December which is on schedule.

Thanks Carlos for the positive comments. In the end, it just great to reduce our carbon footprint, which i think we all have in common.

Timaz, it says in your signature that "December delivery confirmed". How have you had this confirmed, if I may ask?

Back