Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pkulak said:
You could just buy one of those J1772 extensions instead:

http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You probably wouldn't need much length.

That one doesn't pass through all the J1772 signals, particularly the disconnect signal and "proximity" signal. This one is fully J1772 compliant:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adric22 said:
lorenfb said:
"We brought home an i3Visit the i3 Forum Rex yesterday for the 3-day test-drive."

The location of the charging port on the i3 will probably be somewhat minor compared to other
issues you become aware of during your three day period.

We're on day 2 so far.. and mighty pleased with the car, other than the location of the charging port. I'll also admit I'm not a huge fan of the location of the drive selector. And the speedometer and entire information cluster is kind of small compared to the Leaf or Volt. But otherwise.. It appears to be a great car.

"But otherwise.. It appears to be a great car." Really?

Do the TomT test and take it to a hilly area where the Rex needs to function, and then see how well
you like it or if you feel it's a potential safety hazard.

lorenfb said:
Do the TomT test and take it to a hilly area where the Rex needs to function, and then see how well
May be there are no hilly areas near OP.

I think REx is only dangerous on the west coast, mountain west, Appalachian etc. In the plains of Florida or TX it might be ok.

evnow said:
lorenfb said:
May be there are no hilly areas near OP.

I think REx is only dangerous on the west coast, mountain west, Appalachian etc. In the plains of Florida or TX it might be ok.

Actually, a similar useful test of the Rex capability is to even determine what speed the i3 can be
driven at in the Rex mode on a freeway/expressway on level terrain, i.e. most importantly what
power is available to maneuver to avoid a problematic traffic/road condition in Rex mode.

Been there/tested that. The breakeven point on a level road is about 74 MPH (and I risked a ticket to find that out)... This is the maximum speed the Rex can hold on a level road without help from the battery.

lorenfb said:
Actually, a similar useful test of the Rex capability is to even determine what speed the i3 can be
driven at in the Rex mode on a freeway/expressway on level terrain, i.e. most importantly what
power is available to maneuver to avoid a problematic traffic/road condition in Rex mode.

TomT said:
Been there/tested that. The breakeven point on a level road is about 74 MPH (and I risked a ticket to find that out)... This is the maximum speed the Rex can hold on a level road without help from the battery.

lorenfb said:

That's good info. Given that the Rex engine is about 30 HP, this would be expected when one considers
the losses (drag and rolling resistance) of the i3 at that speed. Most likely there's no charging occurring.

TomT said:

lorenfb said:

That's perfect. If it had a hold mode, you could take a road trip and hold the battery at 50% for any hills or anything else. If...

With sadness, we had to return the i3 this morning. Yesterday we purposefully ran the battery down so we could try the Rex. We drove 30 miles on Rex with a mixture of freeway and city driving. It actually performed just fine in all scenarios. These were not carefully selected roads, just went about our daily business. At no point did we ever notice a reduction in power. We were also going about 70 mph on the highway for about 10 miles. I'd say the Rex works as advertised. I definitely wouldn't call it a "limp home mode" as a lot of people still do. I do understand the limitations of the Rex, of course. We don't have any mountains here in North Texas, so I don't think it would ever be an issue for us.

adric22 said:
With sadness, we had to return the i3 this morning. Yesterday we purposefully ran the battery down so we could try the Rex. We drove 30 miles on Rex with a mixture of freeway and city driving. It actually performed just fine in all scenarios. These were not carefully selected roads, just went about our daily business. At no point did we ever notice a reduction in power. We were also going about 70 mph on the highway for about 10 miles. I'd say the Rex works as advertised. I definitely wouldn't call it a "limp home mode" as a lot of people still do. I do understand the limitations of the Rex, of course. We don't have any mountains here in North Texas, so I don't think it would ever be an issue for us.

"At no point did we ever notice a reduction in power. We were also going about 70 mph on the highway for about 10 miles."

At that speed, given the limited HP of the Rex, there's little to no HP available to maneuver to avoid
a problem.

But, sounds like it's time to trade your Leaf for the i3.

lorenfb said:
adric22 said:

"At no point did we ever notice a reduction in power. We were also going about 70 mph on the highway for about 10 miles."

At that speed, given the limited HP of the Rex, there's little to no HP available to maneuver to avoid
a problem.

But, sounds like it's time to trade your Leaf for the i3.

That's not correct. At a constant 70 mph the car can hold the 6.5% buffer. It can do so up to about 75mph on flat terrain. If you are going up long sustained inclines, you can have a problem at theses speeds running on the REx. Running at 70 mph on flat ground, there is plenty of power to push the car up to 90 mph if you want to, or to climb up hills as long at it isn't for miles at a time. I'm sure if you were to line up a LEAF and an i3 REx at 70 mph the i3 would have much more passing power with the REx running than the LEAF, and I'm not LEAf bashing, I'm just providing context.

There is no hiding the fact that the REx has difficulty sustaining highway speeds when driving up long sustained climbs, and BMW is working on a solution (and many others have taken matters in their own hands and coded their cars for REx on demand) but lets not exaggerate the shortcomings. I've driven mine many highway miles at 70 - 75mph and it has all the power you need pass, climb hills or do whatever you need to. It's actually very robust at theses speeds because it can hold the 6.5% buffer. The one thing I've been saying is that if you understand how the car works, and keep an eye on the SOC once you are in REx mode, you can do nearly anything. If the buffer begins to erode because your doing a sustained climb you slow down a bit and it regains. You can even pull over for a couple minutes if needed and allow it to regain the full 6.5% buffer and continue.

It not perfect, but it really does work quite well and an experienced driver can really accomplish anything they need to with it. Still, having the REx activate earlier when you need to negotiate a long steep incline would obviously be a better solution and it seems like that is on the way.

Just curious. Is it possible to continue using the ReX by re-filling gas and keep driving hundreds of miles at no more than 60 - 65mph in flat terrain?

ie. can we do inter-city long distance trips and do it much faster than we can imagine doing it in a Leaf using DC quick charges?

It shouldn't require "an experienced driver," it should simply work, like pretty much any other PHEV... I simply don't think it is worth the cost, extra weight and decreased EV range to haul around a very limited and marginal solution like the Rex...

TomMoloughney said:
It not perfect, but it really does work quite well and an experienced driver can really accomplish anything they need to with it.

If you were planning to do that on a semi-regular basis, I believe you'd be better off with something like the Volt... Particularly the new platform that is coming out next year.

mkjayakumar said:
Just curious. Is it possible to continue using the ReX by re-filling gas and keep driving hundreds of miles at no more than 60 - 65mph in flat terrain?

TomT said:
It shouldn't require "an experienced driver," it should simply work, like pretty much any other PHEV... I simply don't think it is worth the cost, extra weight and decreased EV range to haul around a very limited and marginal solution like the Rex...

First of all, the Volt won't "just work" when climbing a long mountain pass either. It requires the driver to understand that they will need to engage mountain mode long before they reach that mountain. So in this regard, the i3 is no different.

Second of all, since you don't like the Rex and I do. That is what makes the i3 so great. You can get it with or without the Rex. What other PHEV has that option?

I'm having a hard time understanding when people here complain about "miserable" EV range of the i3. For all practical purposes the i3 has essentially the same EV range as the Leaf. Do those people absolutely hate their Leafs now that they drive every day?
Those that think like that are missing the point, BMW didn't design the REx version to equal battery performance, they designed it to relax the worries of the new consumers that are considering getting into EV world for the first time. It was a price point decision vs a much more expensive bigger battery/longer range route. And I love it, I can only wish my Leaf had such a wimpy REx for when I need/want it.

Which brings in the next complaint:

TomT said:
Try creeping up the Grapevine or highway 2 at less than 30 mph... I did! Scary (and noisy) as hell!
Ever tried running down to turtle mode on a Leaf and then take on the same Grapevine pass? How did that work out?
Come on now, let's talk real world of EV cars adoption, i3 is a great vehicle. EV range + extender will work for the majority of US consumer as it runs just fine on the freeway at 65-70mph in REx mode unless you're climbing Grapevine like pass. I know, I tested it.
Please stop bashing the car because you want it to fly and cost only $10K brand new but it doesn't. It's a great compromise for what it is. I loved driving it for all 3 days that I had it for (even when in REx mode) and I didn't want to return it and I would certainly consider it if the price was more in line with the Leaf. Yes, to me it's all about economics when it comes down to purchase decision but it doesn't stop me from loving the concept.

lorenfb said:
{70mph}...At that speed, given the limited HP of the Rex, there's little to no HP available to maneuver to avoid
a problem.
It's a made up excuse to sell power-muscle cars to American public.
"OMG what if you need that sudden acceleration from 70 to 100 mph on the freeway? It really is all 'bout safety. You need more power man, you should get an 8 or better yet a 10 cylinder option just to be safe!!!"
What a bunch of nonsense.

Having said that, BMW K-series motorcycle 4 cylinder 1200cc engine weighs under 180lb with transmission and delivers 160+HP
Now if only they could use this engine in the i3, it would make it the perfect EV car of today for the masses.

mkjayakumar said:

ie. can we do inter-city long distance trips and do it much faster than we can imagine doing it in a Leaf using DC quick charges?

You had a long and obstructive answer above.
Short answer: yes, you can.

P.S. I personally dislike the entire idea of public DC charging, it's expensive, cumbersome and planning around it is a nightmare. If you only need an occasional trip beyond EV range, REx is a cheaper option to operate on per mile basis once you're beyond EV range. And a lot less headache too.

BestPal said:
that are missing the point, BMW didn't design the REx version to equal battery performance, they designed it to relax the worries of the new consumers that are considering getting into EV world for the first time. It was a price point decision vs a much more expensive bigger battery/longer range route. And I love it, I can only wish my Leaf had such a wimpy REx for when I need/want it.

Took the words right out of my mouth. And the sales so far seem to suggest more people buy with the Rex than without. So obviously a lot of people like that safety blanket. Is the driving experience better when in EV mode? Sure it is. The same is true of the Volt. But the range extender are for those times when EV is just not going to be available. And considering the alternative would be stopping to find a charge station somewhere, the Rex is a great solution. After having driven with the Rex I can tell you I'd feel comfortable taking the car from Ft.Worth to Houston and back. Sure, I'd have to make a lot of stops and I'd probably have to stay in the right lane and do 75 mph instead of 85 like every one else is doing. But I could make the trip. That's more than I can see for our Leaf. Our Leaf essentially is trapped in DF/W and the only way it can leave is either on a tow truck or if I don't mind spending a day or two stopping at Level-2 charging locations just to get to the nearest metro area. And while I think I could make it to Austin, there are gaps in charging between here and Houston so long that the Leaf just can't make it period. That makes the i3 Rex an order of magnitude more capable than the Leaf.

TomMoloughney said:
...There is no hiding the fact that the REx has difficulty sustaining highway speeds when driving up long sustained climbs, and BMW is working on a solution (and many others have taken matters in their own hands and coded their cars for REx on demand)...
BMW have a position on doing this?

What is the position of CARB RE those who apply and receive $2,500 rebates for BEVx compliant I-3's, then alter their cars so that they no longer qualify?

BestPal said:
I'm having a hard time understanding when people here complain about "miserable" EV range of the i3. For all practical purposes the i3 has essentially the same EV range as the Leaf...
Not exactly. LEAF has 84 miles combined cycle range, i3 REX rated at only 72 miles (before it starts burning tar juice) nine miles less on E than the I3 BEV.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35207&id=34918&id=35601&id=35279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back