Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty good summary, gra.

Perhaps you should add something about FWD vs. RWD and also add more about inlet placement (besides just the Leaf).

Fiat 500e's navigation seems to be almost an afterthought (modified version of TomTom PND that's not permanently attached.) Spark EV also has goofy navigation.

Also maybe add the Smart ED.

As for '13 Leaf PDM issues, it seems those have died down after the last two TSBs: NTB13-069 (I needed this as I hit the exact symptoms and DTCs described in the TSB) and NTB13-098 (received notification awhile ago, need to find time to take it in).

cwerdna said:
Pretty good summary, gra.

Perhaps you should add something about FWD vs. RWD and also add more about inlet placement (besides just the Leaf).
FWD vs. RWD is important for some and not for others; I expect the people for whom it matters will know. For anyone else, since any car should be driven before purchase, if the handling is an issue that's where they'll learn it. As to inlet (receptacle?) placement, I included it when I knew it.

cwerdna said:
Fiat 500e's navigation seems to be almost an afterthought (modified version of TomTom PND that's not permanently attached.) Spark EV also has goofy navigation.

Also maybe add the Smart ED.
Personally, I think built-in nav is usually a rip-off, as they tend to be used as expensive profit centers for most manufacturers, and are often hard to use and outdated. I know the nav map in my friend's 650i was pretty bad, and Google maps on his wife's iPhone was far better, and certainly more current. I figure almost anyone who can afford one of these cars will also have a smart phone.

I left the Smart out because its EPA range is below the 80 miles of the competitors (iMiEV for the same reason), plus it's only two-place.

cwerdna said:
As for '13 Leaf PDM issues, it seems those have died down after the last two TSBs: NTB13-069 (I needed this as I hit the exact symptoms and DTCs described in the TSB) and NTB13-098 (received notification awhile ago, need to find time to take it in).
It does seem that things have quieted down on that front, but I'll hold off removing that for a while until it's clearly fixed. Same goes for the heater issues.

For those of you in Ventura County:
The will have i3 test drives at Steve Thomas BMW tomorrow (Friday 2/28), and Saturday.

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ELROY said:
For those of you in Ventura County:
The will have i3 test drives at Steve Thomas BMW tomorrow (Friday 2/28), and Saturday.

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And also at Crevier BMW in Santa Ana.

Hot lapping the auto mall in the rain??!!

^^^
Re: i3 test drive events, for those who aren't already on the BMW i3 Facebook group, there is a running list at https://www.facebook.com/notes/bmw-i3/bmw-i3-test-drive-events/584642081609657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

BMW didn't bother bringing an i3 to the Quebec City auto show.

Rumor is that the province's sole i-accredited dealer will only be allocated 50 i3s this year, and that they are all reserved.

Berlino said:
BMW didn't bother bringing an i3 to the Quebec City auto show.

Rumor is that the province's sole i-accredited dealer will only be allocated 50 i3s this year, and that they are all reserved.

Don't feel too bad -- at the Chicago Auto Show BMW did bring an i3 but it was LOCKED so you could see but not sit inside, etc. It does look different 'in person'; not so narrow and tall as in photos and I did like some of the wood in some of the interior panels but the tweed and suede look of the upholstery wasn't to a lot of folks taste.

I don't think so.. somebody must have pulled some strings.
The joke was set 20 years in the future and they had some other futuristic car drive by but I couldn't identify it.

Boomer23 said:
xado1 said:
are there already i3 running in the usa?here in europe they are

Not yet. First deliveries scheduled for late April to May.

There are about 150 pre-production European spec i3's in the US now that are being used for test drives and special events.

The first batch of customer i3's is expected to be released from the port on April 28th, so by May 1st customers will be driving them here.

A LEAF owner in the UK does a comprehensive (29 minutes long) i3 video review: http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/03/comprehensive-i3-video-review-by-nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

malloryk said:
Spotted my first one yesterday in Santa Monica, an orange one. Dealer plates but didn't catch which dealer.

The SM dealer had a test drive event last weekend. Pretty sure that was one of the test drive cars, same ones that BMW brought to the LA Auto Show. :)

jsongster said:
Well... this lends yet more credence to it being a compliance car and not a commitment from the company. If they truly were interested in building this market segment they would pull parts off the assembly line to fix it right away before this 3 car bonfire becomes a forest fire.

Based on Bavarian Motor Works comments of late ( no more models like this forthcoming ) their response to these problems should prove very useful to consider for future buyers. What this says about the red herring DCFC system called SAE Combo seems obvious.

Ok...So I take it back... this is definitely not a simple compliance car mainly because they are giving it a global rollout... I musta been smoking something last time I referred to this car. Upon reflection it is really a nice vehicle. Not sure I can get one for a while... but very desirable. I still wish it had a CHAdeMO option for folks who live in predominantly CHAdeMO established areas.

I find that the style has grown on me and the only thing it still needs there is more choices of colors.

Seems to me that the CARB standard for the white sticker ought to be determined by what actually drives the wheels. Since VOLT/ELR and the Prii have a direct connection from the ice to the wheels they don't qualify. Since the BMW only uses fuel to charge the battery and not drive the wheels it should be ok. Probably ought to have a percentage of drive electric ratio ( 60% electric 40 via fuel? how to force this?) in there somewhere to keep from having a car with a large fuel tank, small battery setup qualifying as that would defeat the goals of the program.

Advanced tech... cool design... reputation for quality, thermal mgmt of battery for longer life, sustainable materials, decent range including quick charger strategy if not full execution, real range extender other than hybrids which means higher percent of driving electric. Looking forward to trying one out... but supposed to be roomy and drive very well.

Also as I said... the global marketing campaign means no compliance car. I am looking for the companies to commit to the strategy of saving humanity from its own stupidity, which I realize is a tall order.

Solar power, wind power, electric cars (even with generators for now). Fuel cells, better public transit and better train systems. the things that will keep us busy changing the world and fixing the stupidity of the past. Toxics, wasteful use of natural resources..

upon further research, BMW's marketing and creation of these cars is a step in the right direction.

They have always made nice cars. Now they make nice electric cars too.

Back