Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checking out the standard equipment listing, the base "Mega" i3 appears to be equipped pretty close to a LEAF SV; 6 or 7 kW charging, heat pump, NAV, etc. but priced about $10k higher. And the fully optioned REx model is perhaps $10 k higher than a fully optioned Volt. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

DC fast charging (CCS protocol) is a fairly reasonable $700 standalone option on all versions.

At 56k the loaded version is almost Tesla territory, wondering if there will be a lot of takers when for 5-6k more you can get a real car with 150mile all electric range, not to mention free fast charging that comes with it.

TomT said:
Yeah, this one may come back and bite them in the butt I think!

Boomer23 said:
I agree on the heat pump issue with REx. I guess there was a space issue in packaging the heat pump with the REx engine installed, and BMW feels that the range sapping is compensated by the petrol engine's additional range. Not ideal at all IMO.
bmwi3mnl

Agreed. I asked Jose Guerrero about the REx trim, and he confirmed that he would like to be able to offer the heat pump there too, since it would make the car more efficient overall. That was great to hear, even though their early customers might not benefit from it. It would be good asking BMW directly, if this was a purchasing criteria for you. Hopefully, that type of feedback will help get it done sooner than later.

Valdemar said:
At 56k the loaded version is almost Tesla territory, wondering if there will be a lot of takers when for 5-6k more you can get a real car with 150mile all electric range, not to mention free fast charging that comes with it.
Yes, that's a valid question many will be asking. Someone has attempted an early and very detailed analysis on the BI3 forum. There is apparently an early adopter somewhere in Europe, who has both vehicles.

BMW i3 REx vs Tesla S 60kwh

1ejVmm4

Of course, "like" doesn't necessarily mean it will ever come to pass... Nissan has ventured a number of likes as well, which have yet to see the light of day...

surfingslovak said:
Agreed. I asked Jose Guerrero about the REx trim, and he confirmed that he would like to be able to offer the heat pump there too, since it would make the car more efficient overall.

Valdemar said:

The fallacy in that argument is that it is not $5-6k, it is more like $25k, and supercharging on the Tesla is a $2k option if you don't get the 85 kWh pack, which adds $10 k more.

And you can get options on the BMW that you can't even get on the Tesla. Heck, they just started offering parking sensors but you have to order the $3500 tech package plus $500 for the sensors.

Try speccing out a Model S with options that would satisfy you, and you'll see how quickly the price rises.

Valdemar said:

Oh and BTW, when you're on the Tesla site, be sure and add the $7500 back into the price that Tesla somewhat deceptively always subtracts when they quote pricing.

The Tesla is most definitely out of my price range, even the most base model possible. The BMW i3 is, however, possible for me to afford most likely on a lease. And I most definitely want the REX version. Since we own both a Leaf and a Volt we have come to really appreciate the freedom that the range extender offers on the Volt.

love the tesla but it would stick out badly in my neighborhood.
the leaf fits in. prolly an e-audi in 2014, too. but i dont like the e-range. ditto bmw.

TomT said:
Of course, "like" doesn't necessarily mean it will ever come to pass... Nissan has ventured a number of likes as well, which have yet to see the light of day...

surfingslovak said:
Agreed. I asked Jose Guerrero about the REx trim, and he confirmed that he would like to be able to offer the heat pump there too, since it would make the car more efficient overall.
bmwi3mnl

Point taken, Tom. I think many here might have an appreciation for that. It's worth noting that Jose has already succeeded in making the heat pump standard in the US on the BEV trim. It's an option in Germany. Much like Nissan, they pay close attention to early adopters. Since many people are new to EVs in Germany, it's really up to us to point out how valuable certain features are. Especially, when you start using the vehicle in the real world. I would encourage anyone who would like to see the heat pump in the REx trim to comment about it in the Facebook group or contact BMW directly. And of course, there is Tom Moloughney, who has been instrumental to this program in so many ways. If you comment on his blog, you can be certain that your opinion will get noticed.

adric22 said:
The Tesla is most definitely out of my price range, even the most base model possible. The BMW i3 is, however, possible for me to afford most likely on a lease. And I most definitely want the REX version. Since we own both a Leaf and a Volt we have come to really appreciate the freedom that the range extender offers on the Volt.
Personally, I'm hoping that BMW will consider offering a more basic version of the i3 in the future. Much like what Nissan has done with the LEAF S trim. I think that they will sell every i3 they can make initially, but some de-contenting would help their volume down the road. Much like with the LEAF S, one could argue that commuters, who would take an i3 out on a 3-year lease, might not necessarily care about whiz-bang features, LED lights, navigation, connectivity and other things. We had this discussion a while ago, and I was positively surprised when Nissan decided to offer the stripper model. Currently, the premium one has to pay over the basic LEAF S is about 40% here in the US. This premium is only 17% in Europe, which in my mind shows that there is enough room for de-contenting.

Likewise, I'm hopeful that they will offer a larger battery option at some point. When you look at the REx trim, the vehicle is ready to accept about 260 lbs of additional weight. Looking at the gross weight of the pack, this could translate up to 10 kWh of battery capacity. Obviously, this improved BEV trim could not be offered with a REx due to total weight considerations.

surfingslovak said:

It's funny how two rows sport the label "subjective," when in fact many things in that comparison are subjective. Indeed, the LEAF is my only car, so an S60 wouldn't be impracticable at all as a sole vehicle for me. I also would rather take an S60 on a 300-mile trip and stop at a Supercharger, CHAdeMO, CS-100 or CS-90 station along the way, rather than refill a small gas tank several times.

Once again, it's subjective, but appearance isn't too important to me and was listed, but crash safety is, and that didn't make the cut.

The vampire draw on Teslas isn't directly listed, but I suppose it may be included in overall energy consumption stats.

That would be difficult to do since the vampire percentage would vary by how much the car is used each day... Also, the vampire load has been reduced by a factor of many in the latest software...

Berlino said:
The vampire draw on Teslas isn't directly listed, but I suppose it may be included in overall energy consumption stats.

i3 w/REx can't be your only car. Given how little the battery will have when the REx comes on, it is not practical to drive i3 on freeways for long - esp. if you are going over hilly terrain.

Ouch

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12221040/2/bmw-suffers-big-setback-against-tesla-in-california.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No white sticker for you.

This is an absolute catastrophe for some BMW i3 buyers in California

LTLFTcomposite said:
Ouch

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12221040/2/bmw-suffers-big-setback-against-tesla-in-california.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No white sticker for you.

This is an absolute catastrophe for some BMW i3 buyers in California

We'll see, folks at GM/Ford may be able to find strings to pull for more green stickers to be printed.

Given that BMW designed REx with BEVx rules in mind - it is mind boggling that REx doesn't qualif for BEVx. How does something like that happen ?

Back