Official BMW ActiveE thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
Clippy said:
It'd be tough to turn down a new BMW. She deserves it.

Did she test drive it? Did the strong regen bother her if so?

She knows nothing about it. As long as the dealer keeps his mouf' shut, I'm golden. I figure it's just like a golf cart, right?

Clippy said:
She knows nothing about it. As long as the dealer keeps his mouf' shut, I'm golden. I figure it's just like a golf cart, right?

Hehe, almost. When I was at the dealership there was a lady checking out the AE and she looked impressed when the salesman showed her a L1 cable saying she can get a charge wherever there is a regular outlet. He failed to mention it probably takes like 20hrs to fully charge though. But he didn't forget to point out the folding left rear seat saying it is just right for golf clubs after learning her husband was a golf player.

I test drove one today... nice car. I have some doubts on the range as i was watching the miles per KW. I think the AE might get about 15 miles more than the Leaf in range. I liked the feel and the regen... the Regen reminded me of the Tesla.

The car is a $60K vehicle and after tax the closed-end lease is about $550 per month. The dealer requires something like $2700 upfront. Not a cheap car.

Not sure if it is a big enough jump over the Leaf. However, the car handles much better than the Leaf, as one would expect.

mdh said:
The car is a $60K vehicle and after tax the closed-end lease is about $550 per month. The dealer requires something like $2700 upfront. Not a cheap car.

Considering savings on gas and unlimited mileage it's probably not too bad of a lease for a 60k car. It is much heavier than the leaf and has a hungrier motor, so I wouldn't expect a lot of improvement in the range department.

Ditto on handling. While it has a lot of punch I'm scared to drive the Leaf aggressively, I just don't feel where it is going.

Uh, now about them stripes....[/quote]

My dealer told me the company who installs oem stripes on the mini will remove the active e stripes if requested. He isnt sure about the actual price. He thinks it will be around $100.

Coulumb is apparently including active e for the free evse. I was surprised to hear this. When I inquired several weeks ago, they said no. They must have had a change of heart.

ss0808 said:
My dealer told me the company who installs oem stripes on the mini will remove the active e stripes if requested. He isnt sure about the actual price. He thinks it will be around $100.

C&D mentioned some time back they'd remove them for free.

Valdemar said:
ss0808 said:

C&D mentioned some time back they'd remove them for free.

No, I've decided to keep them. My wife's in charge of the parking at the new building her agency is moving into. As I understand it to get LEED certification, they have to have preferred parking for Low Emissions/High FE cars. With the stripes she won't have to call the CHP to have herself towed.

Clippy said:
No, I've decided to keep them. My wife's in charge of the parking at the new building her agency is moving into. As I understand it to get LEED certification, they have to have preferred parking for Low Emissions/High FE cars. With the stripes she won't have to call the CHP to have herself towed.

Do you really think those stripes will have any meaning to anybody but AE owners and those who couldn't get one?

Valdemar said:
Clippy said:

Do you really think those stripes will have any meaning to anybody but AE owners and those who couldn't get one?

No. I think I was kidding. But after seeing a video of some alte Deutscher arbeitsmann lovingly putting the stripes on, I figure it'd be a shame to take them off.

Okay, my wife wants my LEAF so bad she told be to put in an application. Twist my arm! Not sure about leasing a car for only 2 years with no upside of tax credits or buyout, but at least now I can at least take a look at one (if they still have any available). Now to see if CA has their act together to get the carpool sticker :D .

Ready2plugin said:
Not sure about leasing a car for only 2 years with no upside of tax credits or buyout, but at least now I can at least take a look at one (if they still have any available).

BMW gets the tax credit, its a lease.

Ready2plugin said:
Okay, my wife wants my LEAF so bad she told be to put in an application. Twist my arm! Not sure about leasing a car for only 2 years with no upside of tax credits or buyout, but at least now I can at least take a look at one (if they still have any available). Now to see if CA has their act together to get the carpool sticker :D .

Yes, I have the "Why don't you take the Leaf then..." gambit all worked out. Don't think it'll work though. She may be put off by the crudity of the Active E. The Leaf, judging from my short exposure to the BMW, has a much more refined drivetrain and ride.

I figure in two years Nissan will have the nv200 consumer model worked out and it'll be that or an i3.

I'm already planning the trip to Leipzig for a plant tour. We've been to Oppama, and while it's neat just 'cause it's Japan. Leipzig, well, it's got all that Germany around it.

Valdemar said:
Anyone has any information if AE lease can be transferred to somebody else before it ends?

The paperwork says no. Usually a lease transfer is very easy with BMW. Not sure why they r not letting transfers with this model.

According to this video AE is charging at 5.8kWh from a ChargePoint station, my guess it is 208V/30A minus losses. Sounds like the on-board 7.7kWh charger will remain about 30% underutilized in public charging using a 30A EVSE.

Pipcecil said:
You should worry more about your kids going out into the sun without sunscreen than your car giving you cancer.
Yes - humans it turns out are not good at figuring out the risk. "Exotic" risks like radiation or terrorism get disproportionately mind-share than common risks like UV from the Sun or known high concentration of pesticides in some conventional fruits and animal products.

I took a test drive yesterday. I can only add a few things to what others' have described:

Yes, the regen is strong. It didn't seem as strong as the Mini-E (maybe Keijidosha can confirm?). I got used to it pretty quickly and actually like it over the LEAF setting. But, it would have been a deal-breaker for my wife. Make it adjustable and it's a big improvement over the LEAF.

I didn't think the acceleration was as quick off the line as the LEAF. But, the top end was much better. Getting on the freeway, there was no "out of breath" feeling at about 50 mph like in the LEAF. I was quickly up to 80 mph without noticing. The AE seems to have taller gearing.

I've owned a couple of Porsche's but never a BMW so, I'm not that familiar with the handling, accel of the 1-series or 3-series. I have to say I wasn't all that bowled over by either, perhaps it's the weight. It was more fun than the LEAF but not $25k more fun. I liked the more solid, well-planted feel with decent road feedback in the steering but I'll sum up the ass-in-seat experience with one heretical comparison: Chevy Volt. In fact, if the Volt had gone with a less garish instrument panel, more like the AE, I think they'd have many more buyers. I really liked the AE instrument panel and Nav system. Well done.

The one I drove, didn't creep from a stop as a normal automatic. Normal for BMW?

Side note: The dealer confirmed the AE only comes in white, but the body stickers are not required. He said the response has been "snow-balling". Also, the J1772 "fuel cap cover" at right-rear quarter panel is perfect for me to park the AE in the garage and the LEAF in the driveway so the Blink can reach both.... serendipitous. This requires more careful consideration.

sparky said:
I took a test drive yesterday. I can only add a few things to what others' have described:

Yes, the regen is strong. It didn't seem as strong as the Mini-E (maybe Keijidosha can confirm?). I got used to it pretty quickly and actually like it over the LEAF setting. But, it would have been a deal-breaker for my wife. Make it adjustable and it's a big improvement over the LEAF.

I didn't think the acceleration was as quick off the line as the LEAF. But, the top end was much better. Getting on the freeway, there was no "out of breath" feeling at about 50 mph like in the LEAF. I was quickly up to 80 mph without noticing. The AE seems to have taller gearing.

I've owned a couple of Porsche's but never a BMW so, I'm not that familiar with the handling, accel of the 1-series or 3-series. I have to say I wasn't all that bowled over by either, perhaps it's the weight. It was more fun than the LEAF but not $25k more fun. I liked the more solid, well-planted feel with decent road feedback in the steering but I'll sum up the ass-in-seat experience with one heretical comparison: Chevy Volt. In fact, if the Volt had gone with a less garish instrument panel, more like the AE, I think they'd have many more buyers. I really liked the AE instrument panel and Nav system. Well done.

The one I drove, didn't creep from a stop as a normal automatic. Normal for BMW?

Side note: The dealer confirmed the AE only comes in white, but the body stickers are not required. He said the response has been "snow-balling". Also, the J1772 "fuel cap cover" at right-rear quarter panel is perfect for me to park the AE in the garage and the LEAF in the driveway so the Blink can reach both.... serendipitous. This requires more careful consideration.

I drove it yesterday as well. My 5 year old daughter looked at the pin striping and asked me if it was a taxi. So funny at the time in front of the salesman. I too could get use to the one foot driving from the strong regen. The cost is what got me on the fence. Drive off, at least at our dealer in the east bay was over $5k with all the fees and first month’s payment, monthly payment with tax was about $545 per month. Insurance on this car will probably be pretty expensive as well. Nice ride for 2 years, but is it worth it for what averages $730 per month plus insurance….just to hand it back, that’s going to be up each individual, but I'm likely to pass.

Back