Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
I don't know about the X1 but many BMW models have been using run-flats for some time... A tire that I hate, by the way...

RonDawg said:
At the same LA Auto Show I noticed that the BMW X1 does not come with a spare (that I could find) either.

i got an avant sted of a bmw sportswagen because of the tires. otherwise, i felt it was a wash in pluses and minuses. we are very happy with the a4 avant. wife drives it and needs some hauling space. does not want a mini-suv at all.

redLEAF said:
GRA said:
redLEAF said:
+1 on the cargo space -- an A3 hatch is a bit on the small side as it is; if you notice no photos of the cargo area on either the full EV test vehicle or the PHEV, at the LA show it was a static display so if it shows up at the Chicago Auto Show I'd like to see what the battery pack does unless they keep it under wraps -- in the case of most of these (like the Lexus CT-200h) the battery pack does need to intrude somewhere into useable cargo space so we'll see. Iy is a lot smaller so perhaps they were able to integrate it better.
One thing that is encouraging is the e-Golf, assuming that's representative of what they can do with the A3 on the same platform:

http://insideevs.com/video-volkswagen-shows-off-e-golf-at-2013-la-auto-show-somehow-its-cargo-area-isnt-consumed-by-batteries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They still need a spare tire, and that will almost certainly have to go in the cargo area.

Not necessarily on it getting a spare tire === as big as the VW Touareg is the hybrid version needs the space for its batteries so NO SPARE; just keep the AAA card handy
While that's acceptable in urban areas, it's unacceptable (to me, anyway) in an AWD CUV/wagon given where I take a car. Many of the places I go, while not off-road, are quite remote and often have no cell coverage. Even if they do have coverage, any assistance is hours away. I have no wish to find out how long it would take for AAA to come and get me at the end of the gravel road up in California's White Mountains, or up some side canyon in Death Valley, or a one-lane dirt road on top of the continental divide in Colorado, or at some winter trailhead where I'm backcountry skiing, or for that matter almost anywhere between Fallon and Ely, NV. on U.S. 50, or most of the rural highways in southeastern Utah.

If I have to carry a full-size spare in the cargo area, so be it (that's what I did on trips with my '88 Subaru, which came with a compact spare under the hood), but it would be nice if they provided some method of holding it upright against one side (the left, preferably, so it doesn't block my right rear quarter view). But I've got to have a full-size spare on those trips, even if I have to buy a wheel and tire separately (as I did for the '88 Subie).

TomT said:
I don't know about the X1 but many BMW models have been using run-flats for some time... A tire that I hate, by the way...

RonDawg said:
At the same LA Auto Show I noticed that the BMW X1 does not come with a spare (that I could find) either.

The road noise from the runs-flats is VERY annoying. However, they can come in handy. Once, out in the middle of nowhere east Texas, I ran across some road debris and picked up multiple roofing nails in all 4 tires. I was able to drive 50 miles with 0 air pressure in 3 of the tires to the nearest dealer that stocked tires that would fit my Mini.

GRA said:
Quick road test review here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/18/2015-audi-a3-sportback-e-tron/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for posting this update!

Very impressive, definitely will beat the Volt.

1. It's a five seater (yay!)
2. 31 miles on the battery (excellent for most)
3. Complete re-charge in 30 mins of hwy driving. (that's awesome, with L2 opportunistic added, getting back to 100% batt is very achievable on a daily basis)

The only "Unknown" is the trunk space. No pics yet....

Oddly enough, I was most impressed with the A3 E-Tron's brakes – more specifically, how little they're actually used. Even though the vehicle has capable mechanical disc brakes at all four corners, they are only used during hard to severe braking. In nearly all instances, the electric motor will apply very strong regenerative forces to bring the vehicle to a stop while the calipers sit idle waiting to be called to duty (the parking brake is mechanical, of course). This arrangement is nothing short of brilliant, as it sends a large amount of recaptured energy back to the battery and it significantly improves the service life of the mechanical brakes. I'm betting the industry adopts its use widespread.

Gosh, me too!!!

mxp said:

I'm going to bet that there is no compromise to the boot space because the article text says that the battery pack is located completely beneath the rear seat cushions. Remember that this is a smaller pack than a pure BEV has, so it will be fairly small. So we won't see the kind of space compromise that we see in the Ford Focus EV. And the pack is smaller than the Volt's, so it allows for the five seater configuration.

Boomer23 said:
mxp said:

I'm going to bet that there is no compromise to the boot space because the article text says that the battery pack is located completely beneath the rear seat cushions. Remember that this is a smaller pack than a pure BEV has, so it will be fairly small. So we won't see the kind of space compromise that we see in the Ford Focus EV. And the pack is smaller than the Volt's, so it allows for the five seater configuration.

Well, they say this latest generation is a bit bigger; too bad no photos of rear seats or cargo area but like the approach --- as far as not being 100% electric; similar to a Volt, I would be fine if it got a 'true' 30 on electric as that's my work commute so NO gas use all week -- on the weekends and/or trips the extended range would be welcome but looking for more room than a Volt or C-Max Energi . Still waiting for more details on the VW CrossBlue Coupe PHEV but this Audi may offer a bit smaller package that would still carry 5 people in decent comfort as the last gen A3 hatch was a bit tight in the rear passenger area.

redLEAF said:
Boomer23 said:
mxp said:

Well, they say this latest generation is a bit bigger; too bad no photos of rear seats or cargo area but like the approach --- as far as not being 100% electric; similar to a Volt, I would be fine if it got a 'true' 30 on electric as that's my work commute so NO gas use all week -- on the weekends and/or trips the extended range would be welcome but looking for more room than a Volt or C-Max Energi . Still waiting for more details on the VW CrossBlue Coupe PHEV but this Audi may offer a bit smaller package that would still carry 5 people in decent comfort as the last gen A3 hatch was a bit tight in the rear passenger area.
I doubt it will get a 'true 30', given it's only 8.8kWh total. I'd expect something in the low to mid 20s EPA. Plenty for my needs, though, and I do hope that putting the pack beneath the rear seats means that it takes up no (or at least minimal) cargo space. I think one of the main benefits of a PHEV with a battery this size is that it eliminates any need to install a 240V line to get a full charge overnight, even in a more limited super-off-peak window. IMO, key to widespread adoption of EVs is minimizing the hassle factor for the mainstream customer (which is why I'm also in favor of wireless charging, accepting the lower efficiency for convenience). The smaller battery also keeps the initial cost down.

If 2/3rds of Volt miles are on the battery, then I expect a car with 20 battery miles would be able to do about 40% of miles on it rather than 1/3rd, because many short trips will still be within AER.

Maybe they'll bring this ad back in light of PHEV coming out ... if I drove it all week without the need to get gas perhaps this would be me (or more likely the SO who would call me ...; wait a monute that's my job anyway)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59Ycd4YfIE[/youtube]

Interesting that they filmed at least parts of that commercial here in the US, but at least one model (the A1 at the desert gas station) is not sold here.

SEAT (VW's subsidiary in Spain) filmed a commercial for their popular Ibiza in downtown LA, with music by Katy Perry. Never mind that SEAT does not sell any cars in the US or Canada. I guess VAG doesn't think Europe is "scenic" enough for them:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3gMtTIZYNI[/youtube]

While we still wait for more info on the A3 e-tron perhaps a remake of this new commercial would feature Astro from the old Jetson's cartoon series as this one covers the 'new' ICE powered A3 sedan (Americans just don't like hatchbacks) ... don't watch if you have a fear of dogs !! a little over the top but hard to overlook! rut row

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQogu_rt9Y[/youtube]

Official starting MSRP in Germany: 25,900 euros ($35,400):

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/02/13/co2-neutral-audi-a3-g-tron-goes-on-sale-in-germany/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/02/13/co2-neutral-audi-a3-g-tron-goes-on-sale-in-germany/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a natural gas car, not the e-Tron. As far as I can tell, it has no battery pack or electric motor. Audi's naming strategy is confusing, with "Tron" after everything.

redLEAF said:
Audi A3 e-tron details released; another 'converted' ICE, shorter range (~90 miles) and perhaps slower? 2013 release, no pricing info either. I do like the ICE diesel version of the A3 but more alternatives down the road is always good to see as at least its an effort ...

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/11/audi-releases-details-of-the-a3-e-tron/

LATImes seems to describe a different version:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-first-times-drive-2015-audi-a3-etron-plugin-20140210,0,4630264.story#axzz2tPuhdSwr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23 said:
GRA said:

This is a natural gas car, not the e-Tron. As far as I can tell, it has no battery pack or electric motor. Audi's naming strategy is confusing, with "Tron" after everything.
D'Oh! Yes, you're right. I saw the 'Tron and MSRP, and just linked it. To channel Emily Litella, "Never mind."

evnow said:
That would be a great price for e-tron given that e-golf is 35k Euros !
Indeed. I think it unlikely that Audi will price any of their cars less than a VW, so that puts the A3 E-Tron up above that, which is getting well into the poor cost/benefit ratio range.

Back