Offcial Honda Fit EV Thread (lease only)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the numbers KeiJidosha. Looks like reality matches the EPA numbers - seems that range is perhaps slightly higher than the LEAF, but is about 15% more efficient while doing so. Low battery warnings are at basically the same SOC as the LEAF.

Is your EVSE at home capable of delivering 32A? Or is it 30A limited? Being able to charge at up to 7.3kW from the wall looks very useful.

Boomer23 said:
It's external air, drawn in to the battery compartment from under the car behind the rear axle, blown around the pack, then exiting through two vents near the rear wheels.
Is there a fan? I believe that I'm observing a similar effect with the Leaf when I open the emergency disconnect hatch. Except that it's passive air flow during vehicle operation.

Boomer23 said:
grommet said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
What is the thermal management on HFEV?
Honda calls it "air-cooled."

It's external air, drawn in to the battery compartment from under the car behind the rear axle, blown around the pack, then exiting through two vents near the rear wheels.
Any reason to think it would hold up better (or worse) than the Leaf in 105+ degree temps?

drees said:
Thanks for the numbers KeiJidosha. Looks like reality matches the EPA numbers - seems that range is perhaps slightly higher than the LEAF, but is about 15% more efficient while doing so. Low battery warnings are at basically the same SOC as the LEAF.

Is your EVSE at home capable of delivering 32A? Or is it 30A limited? Being able to charge at up to 7.3kW from the wall looks very useful.
I agree it looks to have a slight advantage in range with slightly less battery capacity on the flat. It will be interesting to see how it does climbing as it is only ~120 pounds lighter than the LEAF and 20 heavier than the MINI E.

The spec on the ClipperCreek CS-40 is for a 32 amp pilot signal and delivery, with no option for adjustment. The MINI E ignored it anyway and pulled the current you selected in the charge options menu. The tZero charger was/is capable of ~19kW, so no power limiting from design limits, which is why I'd see ~7.8kW when charging. My line voltage is ~245 volts under load, so if 7.3kW number is accurate, the Fit is only pulling about 30 amps, which I suspect, is due to saturation in the charger. Still, a respectable number and consistent with actual charge times.

surfingslovak said:
Boomer23 said:
Is there are fan? I believe that I'm observing a similar effect with the Leaf when I open the emergency disconnect hatch. Except that it's passive air flow during vehicle operation.

Yes, there is a slide in the press kit showing fans mounted at the rear of the pack box. From the drawing, it's unclear where the intake air comes from. I thought it was from under the car but the drawing leads me to think it might be cabin air.

I was under the impression that the LEAF has a circulating fan(s) within the pack box to equalize temps inside the box. I wonder if that's what you're feeling?

Boomer23 said:
surfingslovak said:
Is there are fan? I believe that I'm observing a similar effect with the Leaf when I open the emergency disconnect hatch.
I was under the impression that the LEAF has a circulating fan(s) within the pack box to equalize temps inside the box. I wonder if that's what you're feeling?
Lots of rumors about a circulating fan in the LEAF pack, but no hard proof from anyone. The air surfingslovak is feeling is not air inside the pack, the pack is sealed even with the disconnect open. That air is air being blown under the floor by the A/C condensor fan or simple convection.

Boomer23 said:
surfingslovak said:
Boomer23 said:
Is there a fan?>>>

Yes, there is a slide in the press kit showing fans mounted at the rear of the pack box. From the drawing, it's unclear where the intake air comes from. I thought it was from under the car but the drawing leads me to think it might be cabin air.
It would be nice if the air intake for the battery cooling is located where one could rig up a hose to inject external A/C air while the car is parked in your garage on hot summer nights. You could leave the car on to run the fans. Might not be practical.

I believe the FIT does not come with a 240V 30A portable EVSE, which would be very useful at RV parks like the Mini-E.
I am hoping chris1Howell and the other Open EVSE folks will soon come up with such an EVSE. I would think it would not require too much modification of the existing open-source design:
Larger relay, heavier cable, and a way to select a range of current limits, such as 12A, 16A, 24A, and 32A.

FYI: You can special order a 30A "upgraded" moveable EVSE from SPX: https://homecharging.spx.com/portal/Display.aspx?id=11&menu=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Men's Health folks that drove the Focus Electric across the country just carried along the normally wall-mounted Ford/Leviton EVSE and plugged it in as needed.

tbleakne said:
I believe the FIT does not come with a 240V 30A portable EVSE, which would be very useful at RV parks like the Mini-E.
I am hoping chris1Howell and the other Open EVSE folks will soon come up with such an EVSE. I would think it would not require too much modification of the existing open-source design:
Larger relay, heavier cable, and a way to select a range of current limits, such as 12A, 16A, 24A, and 32A.
This is already possible with OpenEVSE - it can drive a LCD and a toggle button which cycles between various currents. So you could even build one that can handle up to 75A if you want and reconfigure it with a push of a button for lower currents if you wish.

Tom Moloughney said:
Peder Norby started a Honda Fit EV Facebook group. It's not limited to only Honda Fit EV drivers though, any plug in car enthusiasts can join and follow/contribute to the discussions. Here's the link is anyone's interested:

Click to open

I've been reading lots of reviews of the Fit. Bottom line, everyone who's a car person and thinks driving qualities are as important as efficiency really likes the HFE (in Sport mode). It's just moved to the top of my personal EV list. It's still about 1-1.5' too short to meet my needs (I find something about 175-180" works), and I want a flat load floor that I can sleep on stretched out, more range, a spare tire and some kind of QC. But I've got to say, a 2nd gen. of this car would come damned close to making me give up ICEs, assuming that I find it fits me well once I can actually drive one.

FWIW, a review at Gas2 by Susanna Schick included the following info:

"Honda says you can get up to 132 miles while driving in the city, 105 miles on highway, or 82 miles on a mix of city and highway. That’s in Normal mode. Subtract 10% for (most) Sport mode drivers, and add 17% if you’re restrained enough to always drive in Econ mode, which is still MUCH more fun and powerful than the Civic Natural Gas.
Gas 2.0 (http://s.tt/1gl2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)"

That 105 miles range on the highway, with more if in Eco, meets my minimum acceptable range requirement (110 miles on the freeway), although no speed is given and I suspect it's for 55 mph or some other impractically low speed. If I can ever find one to rent, I'll be sure to try and find out.

GRA said:
I've been reading lots of reviews of the Fit. Bottom line, everyone who's a car person and thinks driving qualities are as important as efficiency really likes the HFE (in Sport mode). It's just moved to the top of my personal EV list. It's still about 1-1.5' too short to meet my needs (I find something about 175-180" works), and I want a flat load floor that I can sleep on stretched out, more range, a spare tire and some kind of QC. But I've got to say, a 2nd gen. of this car would come damned close to making me give up ICEs, assuming that I find it fits me well once I can actually drive one.

"Honda says you can get up to 132 miles while driving in the city, 105 miles on highway, or 82 miles on a mix of city and highway. That’s in Normal mode. Subtract 10% for (most) Sport mode drivers, and add 17% if you’re restrained enough to always drive in Econ mode, which is still MUCH more fun and powerful than the Civic Natural Gas.

That 105 miles range on the highway, with more if in Eco, meets my minimum acceptable range requirement (110 miles on the freeway), although no speed is given and I suspect it's for 55 mph or some other impractically low speed. If I can ever find one to rent, I'll be sure to try and find out.

How does it have a lower combined rating then hwy/city? shouldn't it be somewhere in between? Do you have these numbers inverted?

ztanos said:
GRA said:

How does it have a lower combined rating then hwy/city? shouldn't it be somewhere in between? Do you have these numbers inverted?
Actually its "132/105/118 city/highway/combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) rating; 82 mile combined (city/highway) driving range rating (adjusted). Ratings determined by EPA. "
Note [1] http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/?from=fitev.honda.com

GRA said:

So there’s no misconception, Honda does not say the Fit EV will go 132 miles in the city or 105 miles on the highway. It will go those distances on a ~33.7kWh charge, the energy equivalent to a gallon of gas. But the Fit EV doesn’t have a 1 gallon equivalent battery (~33.7kWh), it has a 20kWh battery with some ~19kWh usable. Expect a modest (5-10) mile range advantage over the LEAF or Focus Electric, comparable driven.

Back