Odd - CarWings Email Stated Charged to 9/12 Bars, 11 Actual

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BnBinSD

Has anyone ever experienced a substantial difference in their overnight charging between what CarWings reports via email and when you actually start the car? They've always matched in the past for me.

I have my Leaf set with an End-Timer only (6:00 a.m.), 80% and connected to a Blink. This morning I started the Leaf up and it showed 11 of 12 bars. Normally, I get 9/12 which began this April. Anyway, I thought at first that my wife must have done a timer override the previous day so was going to chew her out for doing that, but I checked my morning Charge email from CarWings and it stated, "Charged to 9 of 12 bars". I double-checked with my wife and she assured me she'd only plugged it in the other day.

I didn't see any posts about this. Have any of you ever seen this?

davewill said:
Did you use the climate control to preheat/cool the car? That can cause the battery to charge. Otherwise, you've got me.

No, my wife doesn't know how to use the remote app, nor is there anything scheduled, and there was no need when I left at 8:00 a.m. I've sure been scratching my head over this. About the only possibility I can think of is that my Blink somehow decided to start charging after the Leaf completed it's 80% schedule at 5:46 a.m. But I think the Leaf won't allow itself to be "force-fed"? I'm now on my 3rd Blink last replaced April 16 (their name for the unit has been quite apt in my experience).

Guess I'll just see if this ever recurs...

BnBinSD said:
No, my wife doesn't know how to use the remote app, nor is there anything scheduled, and there was no need when I left at 8:00 a.m. ...
I don't believe you have to use the remote app or timer. I'm pretty sure you can accomplish it by turning on the climate control in the car while plugged in...but you probably would have found out about that. Mystery.

I saw this same anomaly just a couple of weeks ago and wrote it off as a fluke; a couple of days later I lost my first capacity bar (I knew I was getting close). How many capacity bars do you have?

Stanton said:
I saw this same anomaly just a couple of weeks ago and wrote it off as a fluke; a couple of days later I lost my first capacity bar (I knew I was getting close). How many capacity bars do you have?

I've still got all of them. And the same exact issue occurred again this morning! Although today's CarWings email stated charged to 10 of 12 bars (instead of 9 in the first case). Got in the Leaf and it showed 11 of 12. Drove it for about 2-miles before it dropped to the 10th bar.

I've set my overnight charge threshold for 100% for tomorrow morning - long drive. So I'm expecting to see my Leaf showing 13 of 12 bars when I start it up! :lol:

Are there no other 2011-vintage Leafs experiencing this? Could it be something related to Nissan modifying some of their software for the 2013 Leaf?

BnBinSD said:
Are there no other 2011-vintage Leafs experiencing this? Could it be something related to Nissan modifying some of their software for the 2013 Leaf?
I had the "9 of 12 bars" emails when charging to 80% (all last summer when temps were high) but I never had the car display 11 bars when I got in it and turned it on. That's a new phenomena to me, and you're the first to report it AFAIK. I hope it's not a precursor to losing a capacity bar, as Stanton's experience suggests, but it might be. I still have all 12 capacity bars, and haven't received anything but 10 bars when charging to 80% all winter, but in the last heat wave we had a week or two ago, I saw 6 battery temp bars for the first time since last summer, and fully expect that this summer I will begin to see 6 bars constantly and get the 9 bar/80% charge syndrome again, and perhaps even lose my first capacity bar as well, since we have over 31,000 miles on the car and the battery is over two years old now. We can drive it 70 miles on a full charge, though, so it's working OK for us still.

TT

ttweed said:
BnBinSD said:
I had the "9 of 12 bars" emails when charging to 80% (all last summer when temps were high) but I never had the car display 11 bars when I got in it and turned it on. That's a new phenomena to me, and you're the first to report it AFAIK. I hope it's not a precursor to losing a capacity bar, as Stanton's experience suggests, but it might be. I still have all 12 capacity bars, and haven't received anything but 10 bars when charging to 80% all winter, but in the last heat wave we had a week or two ago, I saw 6 battery temp bars for the first time since last summer, and fully expect that this summer I will begin to see 6 bars constantly and get the 9 bar/80% charge syndrome again, and perhaps even lose my first capacity bar as well, since we have over 31,000 miles on the car and the battery is over two years old now. We can drive it 70 miles on a full charge, though, so it's working OK for us still.

TT

Well Tom, looks like Stanton's experience just proved true for my Leaf as well - when I started the Leaf this morning, I'd lost a capacity bar. The CarWings email was still a bit odd as it stated, "Charged to 12 of 12 bars". And I'm puzzled as well by the Leaf's display, as it DID show 12 bars charged, with the missing capacity bar!?

I thought if you lost a capacity bar the battery would not charge beyond the highest capacity? It sure looked odd with that 12th bar sticking out above the 11th capacity bar! Maybe this will level out over time. I was surprised this morning when I was driving that that 12th bar actually lasted almost 2-miles further than I typically get - all off this is a head scratcher to me. I'll be going in for my 24-month service early June, wonder what the battery check will show?

BnBinSD said:
I thought if you lost a capacity bar the battery would not charge beyond the highest capacity? It sure looked odd with that 12th bar sticking out above the 11th capacity bar! Maybe this will level out over time. I was surprised this morning when I was driving that that 12th bar actually lasted almost 2-miles further than I typically get - all off this is a head scratcher to me.
Common misperception on your part. The 12 charge bars do not represent amount of electricity in the battery. They represent (roughly) how full the battery is. Even if your battery capacity should get down to 50% or some such sad value, you will still see 12 charge bars when you charge it to "100%". But the bars will disappear a lot faster as you drive.

Ray

Back