OBDII compatibility with Insurance righttrack equipment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanNut

Anyone ever use a liberty mutual righttrack obdII tracker?

I installed one in my Armada and Altima, no issues works perfect. The Leaf does not appear to be compatible. I called there tech support and they are clueless. They said it just looks at the MPH up and down. No TPS or RPM etc.

Any ideas before I call again and request a new device shipped? I think I will plugin my PC and confirm the port works for MPH.

I used it in the LEAF. It seemed to pick up when the vehicle was on but it never reported mileage or anything else. Same device worked fine in the vehicle I traded in on the LEAF so I know the adapter worked fine.

NissanNut said:
Anyone ever use a liberty mutual righttrack obdII tracker?

I installed one in my Armada and Altima, no issues works perfect. The Leaf does not appear to be compatible. I called there tech support and they are clueless. They said it just looks at the MPH up and down. No TPS or RPM etc.

Any ideas before I call again and request a new device shipped? I think I will plugin my PC and confirm the port works for MPH.

Other insurance companies have tried variations of these OBD-II based 'tracking' devices but they aren't compatible with a number of different makes; most pre-'97 model year cars don't have them -- not surprised about EV's; thought I heard that the Soul EV didn't come with one or it was difficult to access.

Some insurers just have you put them in for 30 days, others all the time so they see long term trends. You have to weigh whatever benefit (discount) versus your own privacy as WHAT they track varies by insurer -- my carrier (Allstate) tracks excessive speed (how long you're over 80 MPH); sudden braking (panic, etc.), what time of day you drive and how many miles. It dropped my premium on my SUV by 24% so was worth it -- if anything, the ins premiums for the LEAF have gone up as they now have more claims to show how much they cost to repair -- no real discount other than multi-car or combined with home owners insurance which is a bit sad; especially if one chooses the LEAF as their only car.

NissanNut said:
Any vehicle sold in USA as of 1996 must be obdII compliant. So my new 95 is obdI which is fine for me since I know how to access the ECU.

Not quite true ...

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/obdii_past_present_future.asp

The OBDII systems would not have to be fully compliant until 1999. So some 1996 OBDII systems may lack one of the features normally required to meet the OBDII specs, such as the evaporative emissions purge test.

Some earlier than '96 did have OBD-II

Early OBDII Applications

1994 vehicles equipped with the early OBD II systems include Buick Regal 3800 V6, Corvette, Lexus ES3000, Toyota Camry (1MZ-FE 3.0L V6) and T100 pickup (3RZ-FE 2.7L four), Ford Thunderbird & Cougar 4.6L V8, and Mustang 3.8L V6. 1995 vehicles with OBDII include Chevy/GMC S, T-Series pickups, Blazer and Jimmy 4.3L V6, Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique 2.0L four & 2.6L V6, Chrysler Neon, Cirrus and Dodge Stratus, Eagle Talon 2.0L DOHC (nonturbo), and Nissan Maxima and 240 SX.

Not all of these early applications are fully OBDII compliant, but do include the major diagnostic features of the current system.

Most of the OBDII requirements only apply to vehicles that produce emissions.

Since the BEVs produce no emissions, the data on their OBD connectors
is usually proprietary, although we know a lot about the LEAF CAN data.

Odd thing is, they claim they only monitor MPH up and down rate per sec. No TPS etc. The leaf must log MPH I would think.

I just looked on octousa.com who makes the device:

Which vehicles are compatible?

Most vehicles that are 1996 or newer, other than hybrids, are compatible (the device requires an OBDII port, which is included in vehicles manufactured since 1996). During program registration you will be able to determine if your vehicle is compatible with the device. If your vehicle is not compatible contact your insurance company or agent. There may be alternatives that work on any vehicle.

https://www.octousa.com/octo/octousa/faq.jsp#q10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back