Not getting supposed range at all

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alftar said:
Boosting tire inflation to 4 to 7 psi higher will net you more miles, however....
you will be riding the centre area of the tire (giving less rolling resistance ) at the price of rapidly unevenly wearing them out.
if you consider the cost of replacing the tires much earlier then need, because the centre will be bald , I think the marginal mileage gain is a wash. 215/55R17 depending on what you buy could easily cost 800 to 1200 dollars installed.
food for thought. :)

This was true years ago, and I should probably say decades. My first car was a 78 Austin mini. It came with 4 different 10" tires on it. One of them was a bias ply tire with an inner tube! It was rounded like a motor cycle tire and you had to keep it at the proper inflation to have it level out. I don't know if this wasn't true as soon as radial tires came out but with the current modern tires now it just doesn't happen.

Many over on ecomodder.com have gone way way over. Think 80 psi in an insight tire rated for a max 44 and they keep the RE92s on that car for 60-80k when Bridgestone rates them at 40k.

I've driven my leaf from new at 51psi and driven my prius winter tires (5 years old now) at 51 psi and they have at least 1 or 2 more winter in them and are level. I've also driven the summer tires at 51 psi too but since I switched gen2 to gen3 prius I kept the winters but summers were different. It's hard to say exactly how many miles they have because they aren't on year round but I drive about 25-30k miles a year so consider that they have at least 60k on them now and may last till 90k.

Back