Not getting charging complete status updates from NRG L2 chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taloyd

Hello,

Was wondering if anybody else ran across this, causes, and whether the car or the EVSE is at fault.

I have the Leaf send me a "charging complete" email via Carwings when charging is complete (100% or 80% depending on what mode I charge). When I charge at home (to 80% or 100%) it sends me the update the moment it's finished and cuts off power. When I charge at the NRG L2 EVSE to 100% - it won't. I believe that it ~will~ send the status update if I charge to 80% at the NRG station, but not to 100%. Their equipment shows it's still charging, the car has the 3rd charging status LED blinking like it's charging - but it's at 100% when I turn the car on.

Thoughts? Would be nice to be able to know when to unplug it to free the station for the next person... and also understand why this is happening.

My suspicion is it switches to a trickle charge, which is more than zero watts delivered, so the NRG equipment thinks it's still charging... but why does the car feel the same way also? Why does the car even feel? Aren't cars inanimate? Cue discussion about the soul, ghost in the machine, Carwings, etc.

Sincerely,
Tal

I think this may have something to do with it:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20749

... last 2% is cell balancing, which I imagine can't/doesn't have an easy time estimation, so it's "charging" until it's "done".

Wonder if at home cell balancing is quicker? Must be because it's comfortable and relaxed at home, and can more easily focus on these very important matters.

-Tal

Back