NOT A 30KWh in a 2011.... . VIN 5821

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is his response:

That is a very interesting question. I am a former Kennedy Space Center employee. My job ended with the shuttle program. I hold a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering and have been assigned to be the resident Leaf expert. We are short staffed today and I am working out of my home. I too would like to know the part number and should be able to obtain it on Monday.

The auction ends at 9:00 PM EDT on Thursday so we have plenty of time. The technician who performed the installation struck me as being very competent and probably would have mitigated any potential issues. I don't think that the service department had to bear any of the cost. Also, this car is not a Base model. It is an SL which is the Luxury model. The 30 kWh Battery Pack is standard for the 2016 SV and SL. I do recall explicitly asking him if it was next generation and his response was yes.

What is also interesting about this car is how the MPG-e is affected if at all. One would think that it would be slightly higher; however, a larger battery may require more kWh to reach full charge so the MPG-e could be transparent. It may be higher if one averaged in access to a 480 Volt DC quick charge station. The person who originally set up the core ad for this car was unaware of the battery replacement.

Best Regards,

Don Driscoll
Pat Fischer Nissan

gemrough said:
Here is his response:

That is a very interesting question. I am a former Kennedy Space Center employee. My job ended with the shuttle program. I hold a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering and have been assigned to be the resident Leaf expert. We are short staffed today and I am working out of my home. I too would like to know the part number and should be able to obtain it on Monday.

The auction ends at 9:00 PM EDT on Thursday so we have plenty of time. The technician who performed the installation struck me as being very competent and probably would have mitigated any potential issues. I don't think that the service department had to bear any of the cost. Also, this car is not a Base model. It is an SL which is the Luxury model. The 30 kWh Battery Pack is standard for the 2016 SV and SL. I do recall explicitly asking him if it was next generation and his response was yes.

What is also interesting about this car is how the MPG-e is affected if at all. One would think that it would be slightly higher; however, a larger battery may require more kWh to reach full charge so the MPG-e could be transparent. It may be higher if one averaged in access to a 480 Volt DC quick charge station. The person who originally set up the core ad for this car was unaware of the battery replacement.

Best Regards,

Don Driscoll
Pat Fischer Nissan

This is enough to convince me that no one there really knows what they are talking about, and this is simply the 24KWh Lizard battery. Damn, I really wanted to put a 30KWh battery in my wife's Leaf. :(

I too am an EE. (although the shuttle thing is cool)

But I DO own a Leaf that I have basically taken apart and put back together, and modded the bejezus out of.

So……………………….

1) Unless Nissan gets REALLY tricky, there is no way that a 2016 30 kW pack is going to simply be a bolt on for 2011. All the reasons why are fodder for another thread, but trust me, there are LOTS of reasons. While Nissan IS capable of really tricky, I don’t believe they will expend that sort of energy in this instance.

2) This thing does NOT have a 30KW battery.
a) See above answer #1
b) When my car was new, I got the GOM to read 129 on a couple of occasions, and 116-118
was routine. At 2 bars down I can still get it to say 90+ if I have treated it nice the day before.

A NEW 30 kW pack would read more like 150 to 190 on the GOM (considering that using the GOM to measure range is like using a rubber band to measure your house)

Nissan has thus far been supplying NEW replacement packs under the "agreement", but I do not believe they are obligated to do so. It’s just more expedient at the present. After they get 100 or so packs back, they can take the time to read the cells, and pop them open and cherry pick modules to create a pack that is within warranty range, ready for the next replacement.

I can buy new complete modules online for about $119 each, so if you run out of used ones, you can start replacing them with new. Not exactly rocket surgery.

Heck; Nissan can rent me a garage, drop off all the packs on pallets, and I’ll do it for them in my spare time. $250 a pack?? With a fast enough turn around, they wouldn’t even have to re-mate the BMS to the car.

It doesn’t have a 30kW pack.

No one has SEEN a 30 kW pack, and when we see our first one, it won’t be at CarMax. :D

Having been around "rocket scientists" for the last 15 years, I have little confidence in much of anything they have to say concerning subjects that are not directly related to "rocket science". YMMV.

There are some exceptions, of course, but most don't have the common sense they were born with. I think it's drummed out of them during the process of obtaining a PhD/Doctorate.

There are a few folks who keep using the wrong units. kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

Battery pack capacity is measured in kWh not kW. The Leaf does have an 80 kW motor.

(BTW, 1 hp = ~0.746 kW and 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh.)
mwalsh said:
Having been around "rocket scientists" for the last 15 years, I have little confidence in much of anything they have to say concerning subjects that are not directly related to "rocket science". YMMV.

There are some exceptions, of course, but most don't have the common sense they were born with. I think it's drummed out of them during the process of obtaining a PhD/Doctorate.
LOL! Maybe that's why there's the joke that PhD = Permanent Head Damage? ;)

I haven't read this whole thread carefully nor the dealer's responses, but the odds of any 2011 Leaf currently with a mythical 30 kWh pack installed are virtually 0, esp. given Nissan's statements about the 30 kWh pack being not compatible (for whatever reason) w/pre-'16 cars.

Seller has not emailed back but I see they revised their auction and removed the 30 kWh in the description. I wonder if the person that has a bid will notice....

mwalsh said:

This is so true.

EVDRIVER said:
mwalsh said:

This is so true.

Well, maybe I was being a little harsh. Perhaps the brain has finite storage, and when you're so knowledgeable about one thing in particular something else has to give. It's a possibility.

The seller emailed a copy of the service slip. It listed the part # as 295B03NF9E. They could not confirm with their parts provider the specs but now "the Master Technician who serviced the vehicle and he believes that it is more than likely the Next Generation 24 kWh Hot-Pack"

So yea this ended up being a seller that assumed that since it was the "new generation" (kept stressing that) it must be the 30KWh....

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing.

I know this is an old thread, but it was so entertaining to read, and I think it's interesting that when you click the original eBay link, you get a popup that says the "seller was suspended." :p

Not sure if that's just a standard message when an old auction link is clicked, or if the seller really did get suspended, possibly for shady tactics?!

Back