Northern LA County Leaf Gathering

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
The Sierra Club, like Green Peace, has always been just a little over the top for me... YMMV, of course!

Caracalover said:
San Fernando Valley Sierra Club Meeting
Not always, just recently for me. Still, a good ally in the fight to make electric vehicles mainstream.

Yeah, "recently" would probably be a better descriptor than "always"... The problem is that the Sierra Club is viewed as extremist by some and thus can potentially be a negative from some perspectives when they take up the EV (or any other) fight...

Caracalover said:
mogur said:
The Sierra Club, like Green Peace, has always been just a little over the top for me... YMMV, of course!

Caracalover said:
San Fernando Valley Sierra Club Meeting
Not always, just recently for me. Still, a good ally in the fight to make electric vehicles mainstream.

mogur said:
Yeah, "recently" would probably be a better descriptor than "always"... The problem is that the Sierra Club is viewed as extremist by some and thus can potentially be a negative from some perspectives when they take up the EV (or any other) fight...
Any group that takes a political stand will make enemies. Nature of the beast. Overall the support will aid the effort more than harm it. I doubt they will make it a carrion call to the point where they push for legislation, but it is a large group that has an active base, so if they join PIA, it will swell the numbers of that fantastic org. Is there anyone here not familiar with Plug In America? If so, get familiar.

I also did get a phone call and the meeting is public, so show support for PIA and swell the # of EV's that arrive unanounced. Just because people join a group doesn't mean they are blind followers and support every action that group has attributed to them. People are people, and we need more demand for EV's.

Question: Is there a thread for charging stations in the Los angeles area on this forum? I was using the shortest distance route on the GPS in my LEaf to go from Beverly Hills to the Port of Los Angles, (San Pedro) and passed a GM research center that had a bunch of j1772 chargers, but it was not listed on my wife's Iphone apps, nor in the Carwings Database. Didn't grab the address as I didn't need to charge, but wondered if others might want the info. It was closer to the port than Beverly Hills. I dare say a google search of GM would bring it up, and I would have to guess they would allow public charging since all the chargers were easy to get to. They must have had five or ten. Anyone here know or care about this?

Caracalover said:
Question: Is there a thread for charging stations in the Los angeles area on this forum? I was using the shortest distance route on the GPS in my LEaf to go from Beverly Hills to the Port of Los Angles, (San Pedro) and passed a GM research center that had a bunch of j1772 chargers, but it was not listed on my wife's Iphone apps, nor in the Carwings Database. Didn't grab the address as I didn't need to charge, but wondered if others might want the info. It was closer to the port than Beverly Hills. I dare say a google search of GM would bring it up, and I would have to guess they would allow public charging since all the chargers were easy to get to. They must have had five or ten. Anyone here know or care about this?

Yes, would love to know where this is so I can go check it out.

Kataphn said:
Best I can figure is it was on Lomita, near Western in Torrance.

Tried google earth but couldn't find it. It was on the west or south side of the street.

I went from 8484 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90211-3235 to San Pedro Port area using the shortest distance option in Carwings. Sorry I can't be more useful.

This is it here. It says that they have four charging stations...

http://www.thefutureiselectric.com/2011/06/gm-expands-research-development-facility-in-torrance/

Kataphn said:

mogur said:
This is it here. It says that they have four charging stations...

http://www.thefutureiselectric.com/2011/06/gm-expands-research-development-facility-in-torrance/

Kataphn said:
Thanks Mogur! I think I saw more chargers than that.

Just want to say hi to the white leaf owner who was dining at Valencia Elephant Bar tonight. As we were leaving with our blue leaf, we spotted a white leaf with USC license plate holder. If timing was better, we would have definitely stop and have a chat :)

I am sorry the meeting went so long, and I wasn't able to talk to all the Leaf owners. Who else was happy to hear about the Santa Monica EV parade That PIA is planning? I will get some details about it soon but I think we should do a Hollywood Blvd run Friday 8/26 (Next week), who would be up for that?

Caracalover said:
I am sorry the meeting went so long, and I wasn't able to talk to all the Leaf owners. Who else was happy to hear about the Santa Monica EV parade That PIA is planning? I will get some details about it soon but I think we should do a Hollywood Blvd run Friday 8/26 (Next week), who would be up for that?
It was good to meet other LEAFers at the Sierra Club meeting. I will be out of town next week but was excited to hear about the Santa Monica EV parade Oct. 16, I believe was the date. I plan to participate in that. I am now officially over my hesitation to go "over the hill" to the Valley. My range was fine and I got regen coming and going. Thanks, Matt and Mogur for the encouragement. :D

Depending on the time of the drive/mini-meet on Friday I could be up for it. My office is very close to Cahuenga/Sunset so I'm usually in the area. What time were you thinking? Morning, evening, something else?

Devin said:
Depending on the time of the drive/mini-meet on Friday I could be up for it. My office is very close to Cahuenga/Sunset so I'm usually in the area. What time were you thinking? Morning, evening, something else?
I was thinking meet up at 7 PM, hang out for a little while, then drive Hollywood Blvd in front of Groumans - show the tourists what the future could look/sound like. I wanted to meet up at the Observatory, but there is a concert at the Greek so we need an alternate. Do you know if there is parking at the fountain down near the 5 across from the entrance to Griffith Park?

The other date that looks good to me is Saturday, September 3rd, there is a star party at the observatory, and no concert at the Greek. Unless at least 6 of us are going to commit, I don't think the drive down H. Blvd will be worthwhile.

http://griffithobs.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PIA is such an unfortunate acronym! :lol:

Caracalover said:

I'm interested (in blue), with a pre-cut box please!

I really DO like EVNOW's Nokia 6610 display though! That, to me, is nearly perfect!

garygid said:
On a non-conflicting weekend I might be able to join you
and bring some SOC-Meter Kits, if there is interest.

If we're doing 7PM we could easily meet at my office. It's a convenient location and there's a ton of well lit parking (at least 50 spots). By that time on Friday it'll be very empty.

Also for future reference if we want to meet on a weekend and use my office parking lot as a gathering point we probably could. I'd have to check with the facilities people to make sure but I think they'd be alright with it - they've been very accommodating in the past.

And the SOC meter is very interesting to me indeed!

Careful with traveling up and down Hollywood Blvd. They've got the anti-cruising signs up... I'll bet the cops are licking their chops waiting for an electric caravan... :mrgreen:

I'd definitely like to see one of the SOC boxes... I got a red car... :cool:

Back