Non standard anti theft features?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

I was just thinking about Leaf's car security features while we already know it has standard set of anti theft features I am more curious if its connection to internet could be utilized for:

- Live GPS tracking
- Notification of unauthorized access by SMS or Email

Even if these features do not exist now, I wonder if aftermarket solution could potentially be available... Any thoughts on this?

If "carwings" is anything like GM's OnStar, the car can be tracked via the onboard GPS/Cell connection, but as Evnow points out, they aren't going too far because of the limited range of the vehicle. Also, this is going to have a "smartkey" like my Prius, and without that smartkey, you are not going to get too far, it's not like these newer cars can be "hot wired" old school style :)

GM On* has a engine kill ability over the air. If the police approve (IIRC), GM onstar people can slowdown/stop the engine. Not sure whether carwings has that ability.

evnow said:
IBELEAF said:
Even if these features do not exist now, I wonder if aftermarket solution could potentially be available... Any thoughts on this?

100 mile range.

Exactly- Not likely to be stolen without the fob as well. This is almost a non-issue and good luck selling the parts without caught. Another common sense answer.

So if the key fob stays in your pocket when you get carjacked does the Leaf shut down as they drive away?
Maybe the plan would be if you suspect something (like bump from the rear) is to stop and turn off the vehicle. Any issues you could just run.

We think:

1. If the car is ON, it no longer needs the fob to be driven away.

2. The CARWINGS connection can easily be disabled by the driver.

It would be helpful if the car had a user-set, password-protected "valet" mode to limit speed and distance.

A similar "teen" mode would be helpful to some, I suspect.

leafin said:
If it's wintertime, just remotely turn on the AC on high.
Good idea - but won't work. When the vehicle is on, it doesn't respond to remote commands.

Anyway, as to OPs question - we now know that carwings can kill the motor (just like onstar).

evnow said:
100 mile range.
One could travel a significant distance using 30-minute quick-chargers despite the limited range. But chances are, a thief wouldn't know about that - he's more likely to pull in to a gas station and then become totally bewildered trying to figure out how to fill it up :lol:

cdub said:
Since it has CARWINGS... it could probably be found immediately by calling Nissan.
Precisely. With CARWINGS, I don't think there's need for concern. Nissan can locate your car if it's stolen.

evnow said:
GM On* has a engine kill ability over the air. If the police approve (IIRC), GM onstar people can slowdown/stop the engine. Not sure whether carwings has that ability.

At the Tucson drive tour there was an Nissan engineer from Tennessee here to answer questions. I asked him if the car was stolen could Carwings be called to shut it down. He said, no. I did not ask him if it could be located via the GPS in Carwings.

I'm currently reading the 94 page Leaf Security Control System Service Manual. Here are some random tidbits of information I didn't know about the Leaf with respect to the Security system....

* Key fob has two functions (it verifies ID to car and sends commands).
* There are 3 antennas inside the car that are seeking signals from the key fob (inside - front dash, outside - rear license plate, rear - luggage area)
* If the battery in the key fob dies, the car can still be put into "ready" mode (ready to drive) by holding the key up against the power button on the dash and pressing the power button
* In "Park", the car has to be stopped with brake pedal on to be put into "Ready" mode
* If the security system alarm is set off (theft or panic), the horn and headlights are flashed intermittently to signal a problem
* Front door handles are integrated into the system (antenna detects intelligent key first, then front door request switch transmits lock/unlock signal)
* Mechanical key can be used to unlock door, but not to put car into "Ready" mode (key fob is needed for that)
* Any car door open condition will not allow car to be placed into "Ready" mode
* Up to 4 intelligent keys can be registered to the car
* The intelligent key actually has two IDs it transmits (Intelligent Key ID and NVIS (NATS) ID)
* The NVIS ID looks to be built into a transponder in the fob and that is used to put the car in ready mode next to the power switch if the battery fails in the key
* Scenario: Owner is outside and presses "power switch" button on remote: The BCM module activates the inside key antenna and transmits the request signal to the Intelligent key.
* The intelligent key receives the request signal and transmits the Intelligent Key ID signal to the BCM module.
* BCM turns ACC relay on and transmits ON power supply signal
* BCM detects shift position, brake pedal, vehicle speed, and transmits "ready" signal if conditions are satisfied
* Note: If car is slightly moving less than 2.5mph, it can be placed in "Ready" mode when in neutral
* An "i-key system fault" will be shown on information display if this process fails
* Emergency stop: Press and hold power button for two seconds or more
* or Press the power button 3 times or more within 1.5 seconds
* Vehicle security system has 2 functions: Theft warning alarm and panic alarm
* Theft warning alarm has first priority and panic alarm is second priority
* There is a flashing LED that indicates system is "Armed"
* System will go into arm state automatically within 30 seconds if power switch is off and all doors are locked
* The system goes from arm state to alarm state if an intelligent key is not used or if any door is opened
* There is lengthy flow chart that outlines the various states and how to move between them (disarmed, pre-armed, armed, alarm, etc.)
* When panic alarm is pressed, the horn and high beams are flashed intermittently.
* It takes a solid panic alarm signal button press from the fob of 0.4 - 0.6 seconds to prevent a misfire.
* Panic alarm goes for 25 seconds and then shuts off.

and much much more....

Randy

I think I like garygid's idea the best so far. Some kind of lockout code that you must punch into the touch screen in order for the LEAF to travel more than 1 mi. GPS tracking via CarWings would be a plus. Carwings is a very low bandwidth connection but grabbing x,y,z or lat,lon coordinates shouldn't stress the link.

A bit OT, but funny thing is, something like this just happened to me two days ago with my kid's iPhone. The iPhone and his wallet were stolen from the car. As soon as he realized it was stolen he contacted me and asked me to try to locate the phone via the FindMyiPhone app. Couldn't use the app, the phone was immediately turned off by the thief... I thought, damn they shut it off and pulled the simcard, that's that.

For the hell of it, I remotely configured the phone acct. to require a passcode to access. The next day, he get's an email saying "Your iPhone now has a passcode". I log in to "FindMyiPhone" and there it is (with a different iPhone name!) on the map about 2 mi down the street from my house. We hop in the car and, with him using my phone to locate his phone, we come to a shop that specializes in "iPhone repair and jailbreaking". Walk in, there's a couple of guys behind the counter working on iPhones. I talk to one of them and tell my kid to remotely activate the chime on his phone... boom an iPhone sitting on the counter starts chiming away!

Long story short, the cops come, wait for the person who dropped off the phone to come back and claim it and bust a man and woman with a bag of iPhones in their car.... the man and woman are about 65-70! Look like sweet old grandparents; so much for profiling.

Anyway, sorry for the long OT post but two things to note, the passcode thing worked, the repair/jailbreak store owner said he was unable to hack into the phone without using a much longer and potentially damaging process, and he had no idea the iPhone4 could be tracked without a sim card.

Randy said:
I'm currently reading the 94 page Leaf Security Control System Service Manual. Here are some random tidbits of information I didn't know about the Leaf with respect to the Security system....
* Any car door open condition will not allow car to be placed into "Ready" mode
This one is a little curious. I have certainly been in situations where I am carrying something larger than the car, so it has to stick out the back some. Tie everything down and it's safe, but the back door isn't shut. It sounds to me that you won't be able to do that in the Leaf - or am I misunderstanding?

Maybe it is 4 door and one hatch?
Then, hatch-open is OK?
Or, there is an override?

Having exhaust fumes getting sucked back in the open hatch should not be a big problem, right? :D

I re-read that section of the manual and it isn't as clear the second time around, so I may not be correct on that one. Some of the language is a little difficult to interpret... :)

The BCM system controls the car's "Ready" mode, and this is what I read to infer that all doors must be closed:

Front door switch - Door switch detects door open/close condition, and then transmits ON/OFF signal to BCM.
Rear door switch - Door switch detects door open/close condition, and then transmits ON/OFF signal to BCM.
Back door switch detects back door open/close condition, and then transmits ON/OFF signal to BCM.

This could also be related to the security system, and not necessarily to the door closed = ready mode issue that I spoke of earlier. Maybe one of our early owners can verify this for us?

Thaks, Randy

Back