No cargo cover on 2013 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttbbsolid

Hi All.
It's my first time creating a thread since I join MNL.
I just got my 2013 SV with LED & QC pckg 3 days ago, and noticed that it doesn't come with the cargo cover.
I owned 4 hatchbacks before, (nissan, toyota, VW, mitsubishi) and they all came with the cargo cover, and never thought this will be an accessory to purchase...
For 2013 model, only SL gets it as a standard it seems..
What is Nissan thinking?
Without the cargo cover, considering they want to store over $1000 trickle charger in the cargo, it is like asking thieves to break-in and steal it.
Also, this things cost so much!!

How is everyone else doing without the cargo cover?
Any alternatives than getting the OEM cover?

I'm just so surprised it doesn't come with it..

- James.

Well first of all, yeah that kinda sucks but honestly I hate it. It gets in the way, always fall off the knobs and its hard to take out cause of the odd shape of the trunk. You're better off without it.
An option that I wish I could use is the trunk storage compartment option. If you have the Bose sound system you can't put it in but if that dealer option is available you can put random stuff in the compartment and it has a specific compartment for the charger. It's kinda hard to see what's in the trunk anyway but if someone does look inside they'll see nothing.
Hope that helps.

I purchased a cargo cover as an accessory when I ordered my car. I know they are available for 2011/2012 models and it appears that they are also available for the 2013 in colors to match the interior. For example here:
Rear Cargo Cover

I really like mine; snaps in and out easily. I always prefer to have a cargo cover for a hatchback for just the reasons you mention. But yes, it is expensive and not including it is clearly a way for Nissan to make some extra money on overpriced accessories. However, I would venture to guess you got a much better deal on your car than I did, so even if you buy one you will be way ahead of me!

ttbbsolid said:
Without the cargo cover, considering they want to store over $1000 trickle charger in the cargo, it is like asking thieves to break-in and steal it.

The first thing I did was REMOVE the (portable) EVSE from the back; the second thing I did was upgrade it (to 220v) to keep in the garage. I'm one of those people who actually REMOVE cargo covers on cars that had them (no, I didn't get one for my Leaf).

ttbbsolid said:
Hi All.
It's my first time creating a thread since I join MNL.
I just got my 2013 SV with LED & QC pckg 3 days ago, and noticed that it doesn't come with the cargo cover.
I owned 4 hatchbacks before, (nissan, toyota, VW, mitsubishi) and they all came with the cargo cover, and never thought this will be an accessory to purchase...
For 2013 model, only SL gets it as a standard it seems..
What is Nissan thinking?
Also, this things cost so much!!

How is everyone else doing without the cargo cover?
Any alternatives than getting the OEM cover?

I'm just so surprised it doesn't come with it..

- James.
you can get it as an option item, someone has posted the URL for a dealer in TX who sells them at a discounted price

I just got a 2013 SV and my wife was complaining that there was no private place to store anything. I too was surprised as I have owned a couple of hatchbacks and they all came with cargo covers standard. And they were much much cheaper than the $30,000 for this Leaf. I happened upon Red River Nissan out of Texas that sells accessories over the Internet. They have a separate site for parts and accessories:

http://www.nissannewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan also offers every month a discount coupon which shows up on the page. When I bought my cover it was $25 off $100. To get the discount you have to register at the site. I bought the charge protector and the bumper protector too, so I had to set up 2 accounts to use the coupon twice or wait another month. For April it is 20% off $100 or more. There is no sales tax in Texas. So I was able to get my trunk cover for $113 shipped, which was much better than my dealers $150 plus $12 tax. Unfortunately it is just a piece of plastic with some gray felt over it, so it is worth about $10. But this is the car business isn't it.

My 2011 SL came with the cargo cover, but I found it just got in the way, so I took it off. It was pretty cheaply made, anyway. The cargo organizer is great for privacy, and also provides a flat surface with the seats folded down, but I'm not sure they have one that fits the 2013 properly. If you have that big Bose speaker in the back, the organizer would probably interfere with its sound.

Ray

I emailed the dealer on mine and asked why the SV did not come with a cover as well. After telling him that was dumb as all cars have cargo covers he said come up and he took a cover off an sl and gave it to me. He said they wanted to make sure I was satisfied.

jmeitz said:
I emailed the dealer on mine and asked why the SV did not come with a cover as well. After telling him that was dumb as all cars have cargo covers he said come up and he took a cover off an sl and gave it to me. He said they wanted to make sure I was satisfied.

That's a great service. nice.

Thank you all for good info and comments.
I guess I will just live without it...
Hope Nissan put it back on all trim levels soon.

I have a 2012 SL with the cargo cover. I once forgot to put it back in and found that driving with the windows open causes a lot of turbulence in the back storage area. Since then I've been glad I have it. I also find it easy to remove if I put the back seats down then move it forward over the seats after unhooking it.

Back