Nissan's plans for its FF hybrid system.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Sounds like Nissan is planning for its next hybrid drive-train to be "plug-and-play" in a very large range of hybrid/PHEV FWD/4WD vehicles.

Video at the link.

Update on Nissan’s new front-engine, front-wheel drive hybrid system

20 February 2013
At the SAE 2013 Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technology Symposium in Anaheim this week, Owen Thunes, Senior Project Engineer, Zero Emissions Research Group at Nissan, provided an updated overview of the company’s development efforts on the upcoming FF (Front-engine, Front-wheel drive) hybrid system...

There are four elements when in place that Nissan thinks will encourage wider market adoption of hybrids, Thunes said: affordable cost; meaningful fuel economy gains; a rational evolution from conventional powertrains to hybrid powertrains; and preserving cabin space and cargo area.

For several reasons, including compatibility with conventional powertrains, the ability to choose a transmission type, and better highway fuel economy, Nissan decided to focus on a parallel hybrid system—an evolution of a conventional powertrain—and then address the development of the fuel economy in city driving to approach to levels of a series parallel hybrid system such as Toyota uses, Thunes noted.

Further, within the parallel hybrid system, there is another significant benefit—the motor sizing possibility. In a series parallel system, motor power and engine power are somewhat scaled together, resulting in two electric machines—sometimes three—which are relatively large compared with the battery output power capability. In a parallel system, the engine power and the motor power are completely independent—it’s a design choice.

The FF Hybrid system that will be launched soon for front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive is built with three main technologies: a downsized internal combustion engine; a new highly efficient CVT, and a compact Li-ion battery. The system is more compact and lighter than before...

To install the hybrid system in the engine compartment of a traditional front-wheel drive vehicle, the overall powertrain length has to be set to be the equivalent of a conventional vehicle; the goal is to reuse as many of the parts as possible to keep cost down.

To do this, Nissan developed an integrated compact motor-clutch configuration which allows for the engine to be disengaged and for the vehicle to be powered by the motor through the CVT. Physically, the motor and clutch occupy the space of the conventional vehicle’s torque converter. It’s embedded within the transmission. This allows the use of the conventional vehicle transmission to reduce the cost...

Design flexibility. The one-motor, two-clutch with CVT forms the core of the system. This can then be combined with various engines and various sizes of battery pack, depending on the vehicle. An SUV might use the system combined with the 2.5L supercharged engine and a smaller pack to not encroach on cabin space; a sedan or compact might use a 2.0L engine and a larger pack to extend electric driving range. The key point, said Thunes, is that the system is scalable to different applications and is designed to suit...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/02/nissan-20130220.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't care for the video.. It doesn't explain a whole lot. It is also hard to read the text and try to look at the pictures at the same time because they scroll by so quickly.

From what I gather they have a system similar to Honda's only they have a clutch that allows them to completely decouple the ICE from the system. I suppose that is good, and would allow complete EV operation in a plug-in hybrid scenario. But I am curious what size of motor they would use. Take Honda's setup for example, I seriously doubt the motor in a Honda hybrid could power the car alone even if it were decoupled from the ICE.

Also I prefer the Toyota style of hybrid setup because it is likely more reliable since you are essentially getting rid of the transmission.

adric22 said:
Also I prefer the Toyota style of hybrid setup because it is likely more reliable since you are essentially getting rid of the transmission.
Haven't looked at the video yet, but they did use the Toyota setup in the now defunct Altima Hybrid. My mom has an 07. It was sold only in CA and CARB emissions states.

I see a some on the road here in CA from time to time.

I'm guessing Nissan didn't want to keep paying Toyota and/or its suppliers and maybe they didn't want to continue making the parts as Toyota moved onto a next gen system w/the '12 Camry Hybrid.

Back